• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to keep these parts clean

Brewmover

Loc.
Tulsa
So I pulled the hub, spindle dust shield and caliper holder from my 77 bronco. I wire wheeled and naval jellied all these parts. What is the best covering to help them last another -30 years? Ceramic caliper paint, powder coat or just high heat paint???

Does the spindle have too much wear to reuse? It looked fine to me, but thought I would ask the experts before I put it all back together and discover that I should have replaced it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Rustoleum and grease. You wont find much to beat it.

Plan on pulling them every 5 years or so and re-applying. 30 yrs is a long time to go, there isn't much that will last that long without a little love.

u10072

Bronco Guru
I try to paint everything with single stage enamel myself. The areas that shouldn't get painted like bearing surfaces obviously don't but everywhere else does.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I try to paint everything with single stage enamel myself. The areas that shouldn't get painted like bearing surfaces obviously don't but everywhere else does.

^^^ Pretty much that, powder coating may last longer but it chips from road debris too.

On your pic I'd leave these places bare:

Attachments

• leave bare.jpg
    leave bare.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 41

Dannyboy71

I like using POR 15 on under carriage stuff. Seems to hold up better then other paints I have tried. They also make a caliper coating as well.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
So pretty much the whole spindle needs to be left bare. What about the wheel hub?

Only a very thin coating on the wheel mounting surface, thicker may compress or flake as you go down the road - then your wheels come loose.

The hub itself, where the spindle and bearings are inside of, can be painted on the outside.

Anywhere the brake pads do not contact on the rotors can be painted.

I have thought about having the spindles hard chromed.

Attachments

• internal_hub.jpg
    internal_hub.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 25

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Just finished up my D44 and I used chassis black for the housing and rust bullet for the knuckles and caliper brackets,might paint the calipers with caliper paint.:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0190 (1).jpg
    IMG_0190 (1).jpg
    93 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 36