• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Old Brake Parts: Keep or Toss?

scottbr997

Loc.
Bend, OR
I just finished a front disc brake conversion. What did you all do with all the old parts (brakes, drums, spindles, etc)? I went with an "all-inclusive" kit.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I tossed everything but the spindles which have been for sale for a few months, but someone will need them eventually. I hate to toss parts that are hard to source new.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
recycle em. can't tell you how many i have sent into the scrap..

unless you find a use for the spindles and hub assembly it's pretty much scrap. i used one set and turned it into part of a rotisserie with a good bit of machine work and fabbing.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
When I get to that point I'll post them up 'Free to a good home'.
They pay shipping of course.

If no one wants them then recycle them, but first try to help a Bronco brother.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
All depends on how patient and diligent you are. I have ads for parts on craigslist pretty much non-stop. After doing a disc conversion back in 2011, I had the parts listed with all my other ads. Sold the spindles, then sold one hub, then another hub, finally the backing plates sold last month. Took me nearly six years to find buyers for all the parts, but I'm not one to junk usable EB parts. Most would have tossed them long before hanging onto them for six years.

rmk57

When I get to that point I'll post them up 'Free to a good home'.
They pay shipping of course.

If no one wants them then recycle them, but first try to help a Bronco brother.

That's the best idea, if you have the room to store them.

Somebody's that's doing a stock restoration will eventually take them.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
I sold my knuckles to Tom's and sent the spindles in with them since nobody wanted them. I did the 7879 F150 swap so everything including the knuckles out was replaced. I did scrap the rest after posting several ads and no response.

I'm giving away three manual transmissions tomorrow and I have a fourth taking up room also. I hate to scrap this stuff because I always think someone out there needs it but it's a matter of holding on to it forever before the right person comes along. I've owned 11 Broncos and the little odds and ends add up over the years.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's the best idea, if you have the room to store them.

Somebody's that's doing a stock restoration will eventually take them.

I like to see some of you guys thinking beyond tomorrow and your own clutter. "Can't tell ya how many times...." I've NEEDED a FOMOCO hub, or stock brake part for a survivor that is staying stock and been glad I keep the stuff around.

Also, there may be other Bronco folks on a smaller budget than you and a turnable drum would make their day.

Plus - they arn't making this stuff anymore!!

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
I boxed my complete right and left drum hardware (minus shoes) and posted them on the club webpage as a freebie. I had other hard parts that I did not need as well, which all got spoken for. I was able to spread some goodwill and cleaned up a little of the garage. Win/win.
Mark.