• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Going with 4 Link. Question is: Coils n Shocks? Or CoilOvers?

KennyB

Loc.
Simi Valley
Going with 4 Link. Question is: Coils n Shocks? Or CoilOvers?1972 Bronco Ranger, 3.5” Front Coils, Bent n Twisted Radius Arm Extensions. 2” Body Lift. Front Hoops. Body off rebuild. 1989 AOD Tranny. I have a NEW GT40 302, Dyno’d at 302… Ready to add 12 volts and a Gas line to. (It is For Sale) Then, I bought a Weiand 174 Blower. Now, we’re building another 302 to handle the Blower. Going to be a daily driver with Power Steering and A/C. Going with Explorer or 5.0 Serpentine setup, (the Explorer Harmonic Balancer isn’t the BEST choise for High HP ) and cutting down the Blower Snout to work in the Serpentine system. HP Guessed at 550 with the new Motor.
Oh, rebuilt 9” with Posi, and 4.56:1 gears, and 4 wheel disk. (76-77 Dana 44 Front as well) Running 35” Tires on 17x9 Rims, with 1.25” wheel spacers.
So, Instead of dealing with traction control on Leaf Springs, I spent all weekend Reading up (it’s Raining) on 4-Link Rear. I like the kit from Synergy http://www.polyperformance.com/shop...rd-Bronco-Weld-On-4-Link-Rear-Kit-p-2394.html and the kit from Duff http://www.jamesduff.com/eb/suspension_systems.html I’ve read about NOT Welding the housing on the 9” but, I really like the Duff Truss. Duff’s spring kit says it’s a 5.5” lift, then I found Balistic Adjustable Upper spring mounts http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Adjustable-coil-buckets_p_1183.html. My Mechanic had Bad experience with Heim Joints getting noisy, and I like the “Serviceability” of the Johnny Joints. With all the parts I like it’s looking like I should piece together a kit with what I like.
My Exact questions are down to: if I go Coils and Shocks in the Rear, (to match the look of the Front Suspension) and I only want 3.5” lift, what are some good Coils to use? (The Rear weighs A LOT less than the front) Or, If I go with CoilOvers, (I like the Price and performance write-ups on FOA http://f-o-a.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_30&products_id=5 CoilOvers) what is the weight at the Rear Axles? I want the Bronco to Sit Level.

Quick & Dirty

Mostly, it comes down to how much money you want to spend.

Off the shelf coils and shocks are less expensive to start with, but coilovers are rebuildable, you can set a custom spring rate, progression and damping, fit in tighter space, simpler mounting, etc.

I'm looking at doing links front and rear when I rebuild mine, and trying to justify the extra money for a much better setup.

OP
OP
KennyB

KennyB

Loc.
Simi Valley
Quick & Dirty's "Mostly, it comes down to how much money you want to spend" I joined the Bronco "Cult" in 1981.... Spending Money is Never an Issue... I'll just have to go earn s'more $$$ =) ... I do live life with going after the Biggest Bang for the Buck... It's a Tuff Call. Springs and Shocks will match the Front Suspension, but What Springs do I put in? Stock front Bronco springs will be to thick for the Lack of weight in the back. Maybe 4-Banger Ranger Front Coils? How Much weight is on the Rear Axles of a Hard Top Bronco?

OP
OP
KennyB

KennyB

Loc.
Simi Valley
@ mavereq: I love the Build. I'm going for Weight Transfer, Traction, Handeling, and some WOW Factor. What ideas have you come up with routing Exhaust. With a Blower, I prolly have to Run Dual Exhaust. It's tight with Leafs and dual shocks...

blwngsket

Loc.
Novato
I used the Duff kit with Ballistic adjustable spring towers and Wild Horses 3.5" rock crawler coil springs with a Currie Anti Rock sway bar. Rides great and flex is amazing. Very happy.
Exhaust will be tight with anything. I think a 2 into 1 out of 3" would flow enough for that blower motor. That or duals that exit through the body just behind the door. My 2 into 1 exits thru the body just behind the pass door.

OP
OP
KennyB

KennyB

Loc.
Simi Valley
I'm Really Conceren About My Exhaust, Where to put Muffler(s) If I run a 2-1, I'll need 3 1/2"-4" exhaust system. So, I'm thinking of a Parallel set of arms, or symplifying it to resemble Ladder Bars, Frame Width. Due to the Stock reserve tank, if I go outside the frame, they can only be about 24", if i put them Frame Width, I can have them 36" and mount Coil Springs where the Leaf Springs were. I know I have to run a Rear Track bar. The fact that other than my Kid's JK Wrangler, I cant find very much info, pictures, or ANYTHING about a Long Travel Parallel 4 Link! It's Gotta be Better than Leaf springs...

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I run straight 4 link with a trac bar in the front and rear. What would you like to know? The biggest problem is if you want to fit a decent length coilover without going through the wheelwell into the passenger area.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
Here is my rear 4 link thread- http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134909 - Used the poly kit w/ front coils in the rear, running a rear wrangler swaybar when its on the street. My gallery has some more pics. Now I am running a shaved 14 bolt ff in the rear with a WFO concepts truss.

You could always triangulate the bottom links and run the top straight. I did this on one of my F150 rear 4 links to get around pulling the stock tank but the uppers will still be in the way of exhaust ect on the bronco

blwngsket

Loc.
Novato
I run a 3" bodi lift with mine and run my exhaust high and tight to the bodi above the frame. It's wrapped in heat wrap and I haven't seen any problems with it yet.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
there are a few spots where it looks like you could fit the exhaust between the body and frame. i am considering going under the frame just behind the lca frame mounts and building a skid for it right there. that would prevent the pipes from being the lowest part of the undercarriage.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
I run straight 4 link with a trac bar in the front and rear. What would you like to know? The biggest problem is if you want to fit a decent length coilover without going through the wheelwell into the passenger area.

what's your verticle separation between uppers and lowers. i was going to run a parallel 4link w/ trackbar in the front but i would have had to mount my lca frame mounts pretty far below the frame.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I have Duff's 4-link. Blazinchuck and I fabricated a true dual exhaust off my long tube headers with each flowmaster under the floorboard of each side. It is all completely removable and clearanced and we have plans to install a H-pipe as well here in the very near future.

my77rox

Hey blwngskt, Do you have any pics of the Currie Sway Bar on yours? I've heard of people running them before but haven't seen pics.

OP
OP
KennyB

KennyB

Loc.
Simi Valley
Ok, I think I can Tri-Angulate my Uppers, if they go Wide on the Axel and Close at the frame with a custom Cross Member under the T/C Yoke…… No Track Arm… I’ll have 20+ Inches for a Good Spin-Tech Muffler…. Crap,… back to Shopping Control Arm Brackets…..

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
what's your verticle separation between uppers and lowers. i was going to run a parallel 4link w/ trackbar in the front but i would have had to mount my lca frame mounts pretty far below the frame.
At the frame it's around 5 inches for the front. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• front resize.jpg
    front resize.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 97

mavereq

Bronco Guru
Ok, I think I can Tri-Angulate my Uppers, if they go Wide on the Axel and Close at the frame with a custom Cross Member under the T/C Yoke…… No Track Arm… I’ll have 20+ Inches for a Good Spin-Tech Muffler…. Crap,… back to Shopping Control Arm Brackets…..

have you looked into using the kit from ruffstuffspecialties?

OP
OP
KennyB

KennyB

Loc.
Simi Valley
Mavereq: I am all over your Build, as well as ken75ranger, gravy, and blwngsket’s NorCal page, (The 4 of you did incredible work). Then I look at parts from Duff, RuffStuff, Synergy, Ballistic, and GenRight… Borrowing Ideas from everyone, (Including your front and rear cross member work) and Trying to Figure it out. I took all my measurements, and I’m drafting it on Graph paper. Then, I go down to my shop, stare at my rolling Chassis, block and strap parts in place, articulate a 48” level to see how much travel I’m going to get. Measure Clearances, look at steel to cut and Weld. Trying to keep Rear Separation at 7” and the front at least 5”, with even lateral distance between Axel and Frame mounts…. Looking for Offset Axel Control Arm mounts…. I think I’m going to lift the Main Gas tank 2” to allow room for a Spin Tech 8357 Dual 2.5” inlet, and 3.5” Single outlet single Exhaust…. Then Figure where my Dual shocks can go :-/