• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Going to Mecum! (Again! . . . and Again!! . . . )

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Thanks for sharing all the details and being so honest, I think this is very helpful.

I hear a lot, "I am taking it to auction to get the real money out of it". At 32,150 minus the 10%, $750 slot fee, transportation to the event, etc makes the take home a different story. Sometimes local sales, the forum and ebay aren't so bad after all.

Yeah but Ebay charges seller 10% as well...I don't think they did that until recently.

So just to be clear, you paid 3200 + 750 they paid 3200 + 100 = $7250 Mecum made for letting you roll across the auction block that's crazy!!

Good info though for anyone considering auction, price it right and you're good! Congrats!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
As far as my Mecum experience, they get you coming and going. It's a very efficient money-making operation. That said, I don't think I could have done any better on Craig's List or even eBay.

I guess one disappointment is that the buyer turned out to be one of Mecum's bigger participants out of New York and not an individual Bronco enthusiast. My guess is we may see this Bronco being flipped at an upcoming Mecum.

Hate the flipping thing, but hopefully it winds up in an enthusiast's hands..

Def worth taking to get a good price..

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Ebay does not charge 10% on vehicle auctions. More than $2,000 sale price is simply a $125 flat fee that's it a lot different than 10% at Mecum for this one $3,150. So that is $3,025 more plus the $750, trip there, etc....

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Ebay does not charge 10% on vehicle auctions. More than $2,000 sale price is simply a $125 flat fee that's it a lot different than 10% at Mecum for this one $3,150. So that is $3,025 more plus the $750, trip there, etc....

hmmm could've sworn when I went to list my truck last summer they wanted 10%, in fact I'm sure of it. Maybe they came to their senses

ame

I wonder how much overhead Mecum has to cover at every auction between space rent, staff, security and so on. Selling on Ebay they have far less overhead to cover per item sold so it makes sense that the fees per item would be less too. I will be going to my first Mecum auction in Portland coming up, dont plan on biding but just go for the show and experience

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I wonder how much overhead Mecum has to cover at every auction between space rent, staff, security and so on. Selling on Ebay they have far less overhead to cover per item sold so it makes sense that the fees per item would be less too. I will be going to my first Mecum auction in Portland coming up, dont plan on biding but just go for the show and experience

Good points. One thing to consider is "entertainment value". Mecum and B-J are events as much as they are car auctions. It was kind of fun to be actually involved in the event, if only for 5 minutes! I was surprised how little the sellers stayed with their vehicles on the display floor. There was not much of that at all. Plus I am tired of dealing with CL flakes and selling a Bronco on eBay - which I did a few years ago - had zero entertainment value!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, big business for sure. And even more so now with all the (I'm assuming?) TV royalties and advertising and all of the stuff associated with that type of reeely beeg sheoow.
There's really no doubt a lot of money flows through the auction companies. Anyone who ever watched the special show on the Barrett Jackson CEO (forget his name, but he's the one always wearing the speedy sunglasses) and saw what's just in his garage, knows that it ain't no chicken feed.
Turntable floors and just the main garage on the house (spectacular in it's own right there in AZ) housed a Veyron, some Ferrari models, and some other high-end collectibles. No wimps allowed in that stable!

It's been a year or more since I saw it, but just from memory there was probably more than $20 mil worth of cars in the main garage.
And his isn't even one of the names on the masthead!

Paul

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
They'll be in Indy (about 2 hrs away) next month, maybe I'll take my youngest boy and check it out! Always wanted to go...

I looked into it and if you go ahead and pay the $100 (pre-auction price) not only can you bid, but you also get a guest pass and it's good for all days of the auction.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
No pictures of the big day?

Here you go!

I took a bunch of pics of other vehicles. There were of course a bunch of Mustangs, Corvettes, Tri-5 Chevy's, and I was surprised, a lot of the newer retro T-Birds. The 56 Chevy 210 was very nicely done.

Attachments

• IMG_3904.jpg
    IMG_3904.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3960.jpg
    IMG_3960.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3959.jpg
    IMG_3959.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3958.jpg
    IMG_3958.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3957.jpg
    IMG_3957.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3955.jpg
    IMG_3955.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3946.jpg
    IMG_3946.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3928.jpg
    IMG_3928.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Some of the other nice rides.

Attachments

• IMG_3933.jpg
    IMG_3933.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3938.jpg
    IMG_3938.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3937.jpg
    IMG_3937.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3931.jpg
    IMG_3931.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3913.jpg
    IMG_3913.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3909.jpg
    IMG_3909.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3906.jpg
    IMG_3906.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3927.jpg
    IMG_3927.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 40

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Ahhhhhh nice, thanks Scoop. That's my kind of shopping event!

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Did not see this mentioned yet, but you were correct, your 1969 is listed for sale at the Denver MECUM.

I hope to get the opportunity to view it.

Denver Mecum
Auction: Jul 20, 2017 to Jul 22, 2017
Stock #: DN: F140

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/bronco/1937713.html

Wow! That was a quicker flip than I thought! They just cut and pasted my description and those are the same photos I used. Actually I'll be in CO at that time. May just have to go to Denver . . .

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Wow! That was a quicker flip than I thought! They just cut and pasted my description and those are the same photos I used. Actually I'll be in CO at that time. May just have to go to Denver . . .
yeah I saw that. you would think they could at least take their own pictures

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

No sheeet. Be interesting to see what they may get out of it

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Same exact thing happened to me a few years back on a snowmobile I sold on craigslist. Used my pics and description. I guess I was OK with the amount of the sale so it didn't make me that aggravated. Just seemed kinda lame.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Go buy it back for $24k

By the time this is done with the auctions mecum will make more than you did.