• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finally scored an Explorer.

akforsyth

Contributor
Well for some reason the prices of 5.0 Explorers around here is stupid, but today I managed to find a 96 for $500 (like U$ 200!). Owner said it lost reverse and has no inclination to fix it. I bought it for the motor and everything with it, but I’m now wondering what else people have used off their Explorers?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm looking for an 8.8 Explorer rear axle right now.
Since the Explorer has an offset rear diff, you can do a poor mans narrowing on it. All you do is shorten the long side to match the short side. Then it takes the same axles on both sides.
Also, it already had rear discs.
If you're lucky, it will have 3.73 gears.
Very popular with the Early Mustang/Falcon guys.

TTownEP

I'm looking for an 8.8 Explorer rear axle right now.
If you're lucky, it will have 3.73 gears.
Very popular with the Early Mustang/Falcon guys.

I bought my donor Explorer for $600 and sold the 3.73 LS rear end for $200. It was the most valuable thing I parted out.
Someone told me J*** guys sometimes swap them in, but I don't know what my buyer was using it for. It was raining during the sale so we both took off.

I only kept the engine and trans and all the engine bay harnesses. And the radio antenna, since my Bronco didn't have one. To the OP's question, I don't know what else can be scavenged.

73azbronco

Bronco Guru
Well for some reason the prices of 5.0 Explorers around here is stupid,

I know why, cash for clunkers, removed thousands of donor vehicles making those remaining even pricier. Resulting in higher used car prices, not what they intended, ha ha

OP
OP
akforsyth

akforsyth

Contributor
Well I got it home and I’m definitely happy. The thing only has one tear in the drivers seat and a broken inside rear door handle as well as reverse not working. Fired right up and isles nicely, but a bit noisy(muffler is most likely junk). Luck would have it that it’s a 3.73LS rear end so that’ll but up on the marketplace soon enough. Might use the seats for shop chairs too��

Going to look into using the rear brakes if the rear end doesn’t go, but that might be more of a pain in the add than I need.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Congrats...

Well I got it home and I’m definitely happy. The thing only has one tear in the drivers seat and a broken inside rear door handle as well as reverse not working. Fired right up and isles nicely, but a bit noisy(muffler is most likely junk). Luck would have it that it’s a 3.73LS rear end so that’ll but up on the marketplace soon enough. Might use the seats for shop chairs too

Going to look into using the rear brakes if the rear end doesn’t go, but that might be more of a pain in the add than I need.

LSharpNM

As already mentioned, other than the engine and tranny, the rear end is the only other part really worth anything. The rear end is a popular swap for XJs, YJs, TJs,ZJs, WJs, Rangers, and Bronco IIs, but they are still plentiful, so they typically only go for $150-$250.