• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2024 Is This theYear I Finally Make Progress on My 12 plus year Build update: cranking and firing, no fuel yet

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hydroboost will get fitted today, waiting on a IMG_1306.jpeg IMG_1305.jpeg IMG_1304.jpeg good set of radiator mounts from cat fan . Got held up a couple of days on this tele build, but it is ready for neck to be fitted and electronics added

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Body comes off this weekend so the frame and running gear can be finished. Will get the engine cranked while the body is off. Will also spray engine bay before tub goes back on for body work. Baby steps, parts keep holding me up.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Resolved to make time for my project this year. currently working on getting it to exhaust shop for exhaust system. Plan is to pull body again after that and finish running gear. Already completed, engine rebuild, 4r70 rebuild, Dana 20 rebuild , new rear end housing with disc, used carrier and completed Dana 44 with everything new. Need, driveshafts and brake kit (hydro). I have many other parts but lack a/c also. I have everything for explorer Efi, wiring it up while I wait on parts for exhaust. ECM will go out this week for programming. Plan is to get everything on frame and Efi done with body off. Body and frame have both been chemically dipped and stripped followed by being dipped in e-coat. Will post pics starting tomorrow. If I never finished this project I could say I have met and made many friends on this site. Broncos are a hobby for me and I am an enthusiast, so I don’t lose sleep over no progress, but I really want to ride again. Thanks to all those who answer questions no matter how many times older guys like me ask them.

Let's goooo brother. YOu got this

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Body comes off this weekend so the frame and running gear can be finished. Will get the engine cranked while the body is off. Will also spray engine bay before tub goes back on for body work. Baby steps, parts keep holding me up.

Think you'll stretch out the quality build over let's say a "Tasker" timeline? :) :D lol

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Random pics, body is off, time to start wiring engine. I have questions, hope y’all have answers.

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
@fordguy Great thread! Just got back into mine after far too long. Best part of yesterday was getting my delivery from WH and immediately putting it all on the Bronco. FWIW, I drove mine into the garage over 10 years ago to do a simple passenger side floor pan repair 😂 One thing led to another and with exception to physically pulling the body, it was stripped all the way down to your current state and I'm finally getting around to getting it back together. Actually did have the body separated at one point, just not on the ground.

If I had one piece of advice that I finally got on board with after hearing it for years... Buy the right parts up front and save yourself the headache of modifying everything to fit hours later. That is one of the best things about these old rigs with awesome vendors and just about every part available you would need.

Good luck and keep posting.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
@fordguy Great thread! Just got back into mine after far too long. Best part of yesterday was getting my delivery from WH and immediately putting it all on the Bronco. FWIW, I drove mine into the garage over 10 years ago to do a simple passenger side floor pan repair 😂 One thing led to another and with exception to physically pulling the body, it was stripped all the way down to your current state and I'm finally getting around to getting it back together. Actually did have the body separated at one point, just not on the ground.

If I had one piece of advice that I finally got on board with after hearing it for years... Buy the right parts up front and save yourself the headache of modifying everything to fit hours later. That is one of the best things about these old rigs with awesome vendors and just about every part available you would need.

Lean manufacturing, buy only the parts you need and have researched, ask me how I know

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

JeepGuy, thanks. I will keep posting because this is how i am keeping on track. I was actually going to replace the gas tank and decided to paint the frame rails where the tank is mounted and the next thing i knew I was doing a frame off restomod.

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All right... So where is the update? If it helps, I loomed a good portion of my painless harness, got the dash secured back in and put the Ididit column in yesterday. I've been draggin' my feet to do anything today, but I'll find something even if it's super small.

Anyone else using the flexible netting like black loom? That stuff is awesome! Way better than the old hard accordion style plastic stuff.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All right... So where is the update? If it helps, I loomed a good portion of my painless harness, got the dash secured back in and put the Ididit column in yesterday. I've been draggin' my feet to do anything today, but I'll find something even if it's super small.

Anyone else using the flexible netting like black loom? That stuff is awesome! Way better than the old hard accordion style plastic stuff.
Have not seen that type loom.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got manifolds and intake on, and spark plug wires attached at least. Have to put the water pump on next so I can temporarily mount the radiator on the frame for starting motor.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Getting closer to finishing wiring EFI, will start building an engine run stand this week for initial start up

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Split braided wire loom. WH sells it by the foot in variable sizes. I bought the below kit with my wiring harness. Great buy so far. I kind of tightens it's self around the wire after you slide it on and move it around a bit. You do not need to zip tie it to keep it tight on there.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/8034/Bronco_Wiring_Harness
The one piece I had experience with unraveled a whole bunch on the ends. I took it off and used regular split loom.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The one piece I had experience with unraveled a whole bunch on the ends. I took it off and used regular split loom.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
I melt the end of the one piece loom & I don't have that unravel problem - cut to size stick a metal rod or large screwdriver in it so it doesn't close up - melt it - let it cool for a couple seconds & done.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
IMG_1367.jpeg IMG_1366.jpeg IMG_1365.jpeg
Engine run stand I threw together. radiator bottom mounts will be bolted to the two pieces of angle. Sheet metal will go in the angle square for key and gauges. I have several parts I need to finish motor, but moving forward everyday.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got a little more done on the run stand, got a few more parts on the motor, it is pretty much wired up.

Attachments

• IMG_1372.jpeg
    IMG_1372.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1371.jpeg
    IMG_1371.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 15