• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Did I mention I bought another Bronco?-PHOTOS

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey flyer, I believe OCBR got you fired up!!!! Heck you'll be doing this for a living before long!!! Looks good, you're making great progress!!;D;D

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I got the rear floor pan tacked in and fit. The damned floor pan is like all other Bronco parts, it looks good in pics but isnt a true reproduction. The weld flanges on the sides of the pan were too short. It doesn't cover the holes in the fenders where I drilled out the original spot welds. it's tacked in but i dont' like it.

I keep thinking about what color to paint this rig. I was entertaining painting it Stroppe colors just for fun. Maybe it's a sin to paint a non-Stroppe in those colors, but it would look good and people would love it.
What say you?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Nice work. I think the Stroppe colors would look great on a half cab. A Stroppe tribute would be cool, not a sin! You could build an in the bed half cab roll bar that's constructed like an original Stroppe roll bar. Are you still stretching the top?

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Yes I i'm still firm on stretching the back of the cab to where it's flush with the rear of the cab corners. I'm trying to get the metal replacement done in time to get it sandblasted and primed before winter, so the cab will come later.
I'm going to work toward an in cab roll bar first but could end up with one in the bed. I talked with Gordon at Hot Springs about building one to fit my cab.
The good part about building it in slow motion, I get to build it in my head 50 times as I go along before I do anything

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Yes I i'm still firm on stretching the back of the cab to where it's flush with the rear of the cab corners. I'm trying to get the metal replacement done in time to get it sandblasted and primed before winter, so the cab will come later.
I'm going to work toward an in cab roll bar first but could end up with one in the bed. I talked with Gordon at Hot Springs about building one to fit my cab.
The good part about building it in slow motion, I get to build it in my head 50 times as I go along before I do anything

I'd like to get an inside the cab roll bar/cage as well. One that tucks up high and back in the top and hugs the ws frame as well. I haven't seen one like I want so I'll probably have to make it.

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Floor pans are in, now working on the cowl and firewall. The time change has stolen my daylight, it may slow down.

e9cc6410b4c694d60900887571613103.jpg
a55556aa2b8889e34ebd7c1d658a6dc7.jpg

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Hey flyer, you're making great progress!!! I'm like you though, this standard time thing is a killer!!!!;D;D

The metalwork is something I can do fairly cheap myself. Soon I'll be messing with the Explorer engine package. And this is my other ongoing project going on 5 months now. It's a race to see which one bankrupts me first.
a4bc013c8ac8132a8e6a6fe9fe3f6978.jpg
4f5b1000b8c12f363f614e9ab321dc9d.jpg

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Yesterday was the 1 year mark since I brought this Bronco home from Snyder. I'd like the project to go faster but it's going okay.

The sheet metal is 95% replaced and is taking a lot of time. I'm coating the bare metal with rattle can primer as I go and will media blast the entire tub and frame and coat with red epoxy primer and the frame with Eastwood chassis paint. I didn't originally plan to replace so much metal but as usual, one thing leads to another. At least I won't lay in bed at night with my OCD reminding me I passed over rusted seams or cut corners.
I need to finish the sheet metal, media blast the tub and frame, epoxy primer the body and chassic coat the frame.
I have acquired quite a few parts: 2 1/2" lift, EFI tank and lines, 2001 Explorer donor, rebuilt D20, epoxy, and chassis paint.
But still need some expensive items: steering column, EFI guy's magic on the computer and harness, overhaul the engine and 4R70w, get a D20 adapter, sound proofing and carpet, seats, cage, rear gears, BCB Vintage air, radiator, and of course paint job.

Maybe Katy will bake us a Bronco birthday cake with 1 candle.

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I pulled the Explorer engine and tranny this week. Last fall I made a deal with a local shop to pull it in exchange for the Explorer body. when I went back last week to see when they wanted it they jacked their price to 600.00 plus they keep the Explorer. Out of stubbornness I did it myself in 3 evenings plus I can sell the vehicle to the scrapper myself.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 134

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Lookin good man! Keep it up, slow and steady I think is better than trying to get too much done too fast. You can think things through and be confident that you are going in the right direction! ;D

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I got word the transmission is finished ready to be picked up. I'll go get it next week when the rain lets up.
I had it rebuilt by A-1 Transmission in Ingram, Tx. This is just a few blocks from BC Broncos so Jason dropped off a 4R70W to D-20 AA adapter and they assembled it all with my rebuilt D-20. They also set my D-20 up for dual sticks. I was very impressed with this shop and feel good about choosing them for this rebuild. They replace all the electrical internals and solenoids and a bunch of other transmission rebuilding wizardry that is over my head. Like the old saying, just show me the baby pictures I don't need to know how it was made.

The 5.0 Explorer motor got rebuilt last week by Mission Auto in San Antonio. Same deal as the tranny, i'll go pick it up when the rain stops. I don't know all the specs yet but I know they bored it and installed a XE258HR cam and springs, otherwise all stock.

I've almost got the new cowl installed, am finishing up the passenger side where I raised the cowl for the fresh air intake deletion and ECM bracket installation.

techlaf

Contributor
You are doing a great service to the Bronco community. You find worn out rusty trucks, fix 'em up real nice, get tired of them, and sell them on. I'm still enjoying your great body work skills!

I still have the leaky Explorer engine in mine/your old one. Enjoying this build thread and can't wait to see the results.

*I consistently get compliments about how nice the bumpers you made are. I like that no one has bumpers exactly like them.

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
You are doing a great service to the Bronco community. You find worn out rusty trucks, fix 'em up real nice, get tired of them, and sell them on. I'm still enjoying your great body work skills!

I still have the leaky Explorer engine in mine/your old one. Enjoying this build thread and can't wait to see the results.

*I consistently get compliments about how nice the bumpers you made are. I like that no one has bumpers exactly like them.

Thanks! That's the price I pay for being OCD and anal about stuff...
If you get tired of those bumpers i'd like to get them back somehow.. I ate a lot of sparks and grinder dust making those!
I'm curious how the nitrogen shock has worked out on the spare tire rack? And how the bumper finish has held up?
My "plan" is for this U14 to be a keeper. The stars aligned and I bought it cheap just as Bronco prices started to appreciate.
When I sold you the U15 I had just moved to Texas and was smoked down by the heat. It was a traumatic change moving from bitter cold Wyoming to bitter heat of S. Texas. I was too busy at work to have time to install a Vintage Air, and had just spent a bunch installing the EFI and exhaust and thought it was prudent to just sell it. I've kicked myself about 50 times but i'm glad you are enjoying it and improving it.
Now i'm acclimated and just hang my arm out the window when it's 108 outside;D

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Must be nice to have to plan around the rain in South Texas!!! :) Sounds like it's coming right along!