• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For Those Who Did a C4 to Manual Trans Conversion

Jambi

Contributor
For those of you who converted from the Ford C4 (or other automatic trans) to the NV3550 (or other manual trans), are you happy with your decision? This is something I've been thinking of doing for a while, and I currently have a good opportunity to get an NV3550 at a decent price, so I'm really thinking about getting it.

Contributor
Bumping this for you. I know there are people here that have gone this route. Why do you want to make the switch?
As for me I just like rowing my own gears.

canzelc

Contributor
I swapped an np435 for the original C4 in my '73 in the late '90s and haven't looked back. I learned to drive on a manual and think that classic cars and trucks are more fun to drive with them. Sometimes have dreams of installing a 5 speed, but I think the old 4 speed will outlast me.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I went from a C4/ Dana 20 to NV4500/ Atlas II. I very much enjoy the swap but there are moments where I wish it were an auto again. At the time I did the swap, around 2005, If I recall I got the NV4500 for $400, the complete conversion kit for $650, and the Atlas for $2000. It was cheap enough that I could get an overdrive and overly strong drivetrain for less than a built AOD or 700R4. I joke around with swapping back to an auto, but a lot of the fun is in manual. I have a 72 that has a C4 and I will likely leave that one alone since it is much more a parking lot queen than anything else.

BUT the NV3550 in a bronco is a fun set up. It wont be like driving a truck. the gear splits are much better suited for spirited driving. Years ago I helped put a T5 in a bronco. AA made the crazy adapters needed for that transmission and it was a blast!!! The ability to drive a bronco on 35's like a GT Mustang was impressive. However, it was a terrible transmission choice since they are already weak. a few years later the same bronco got an AOD swap done.