• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 setup bearings differnet one's for different carriers?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm searching for a set of carrier setup bearings and the price range is $47-$100 plus.

This will be a one/two time use for me so I'm looking for them on the cheap. My old bearings are way to far gone to hone and use for setup and no one I know has a set I can use.

My question is, are they all the same as in no matter what carrier/locaker you have, one bearing fits them all? I'm installing a new OEM style
Dana/Spicer trac-lok 3.92 and up carrier if it matters (replacing the stock carrier)

I was looking at buying one these two:

http://www.conversionradiators.com/servlet/the-23722/Omix-dsh-ada-Set-Up-Bearings/Detail

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16100_71X_PG.htm

Tim

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I'm searching for a set of carrier setup bearings and the price range is $47-$100 plus.

This will be a one/two time use for me so I'm looking for them on the cheap. My old bearings are way to far gone to hone and use for setup and no one I know has a set I can use.

My question is, are they all the same as in no matter what carrier/locaker you have, one bearing fits them all? I'm installing a new OEM style
Dana/Spicer trac-lok 3.92 and up carrier if it matters (replacing the stock carrier)

I was looking at buying one these two:

http://www.conversionradiators.com/servlet/the-23722/Omix-dsh-ada-Set-Up-Bearings/Detail

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16100_71X_PG.htm

Tim

I would suggest you use setup bearings for the brand you will use. Why, because they vary slightly from brand to brand. I found this out the hard way the first time I setup gears. Didn't bother to measure the difference between the setup bearings and new timkens. When I pressed the bearings on with the shims for the final time it was off. Ruined the shims taking them off. Lesson learned. I guess if you were careful to take that all into account, you could get by with two different brands...

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
This is a waste of money IMO. I just grind out the centers of the old bearings till they are snug not tight on the carrier. I did this and only needed to make 2 more adjustments after I put my bearings I was actually going to use. Just take the money from the setup bearings and put it towards something useful like beer for the swap.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I would suggest you use setup bearings for the brand you will use. Why, because they vary slightly from brand to brand. I found this out the hard way the first time I setup gears. Didn't bother to measure the difference between the setup bearings and new timkens. When I pressed the bearings on with the shims for the final time it was off. Ruined the shims taking them off. Lesson learned. I guess if you were careful to take that all into account, you could get by with two different brands...

I've read this before on a couple of posts on different boards while searching for info and do agree that it could cause issues. I know not all parts are created equal but they're supposed to be dang close to the same tolerances. I'll mesure the new bearings and the setup bearings when they arrive as you and others have had a problem. I will note the other posts mentioned Timken bearings and I'll be using Timkens.

This is a waste of money IMO. I just grind out the centers of the old bearings till they are snug not tight on the carrier. I did this and only needed to make 2 more adjustments after I put my bearings I was actually going to use. Just take the money from the setup bearings and put it towards something useful like beer for the swap.

Wish I could use the old bearings but their trashed and just don't want to take a chance with them. Beer is not a problem as the fredg in the shop always has plenty cold. I hope my setup goes as easy as yours.......

70_Steve, Thanks and you have email.

Tim

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Not a rant. But on a bronco what is fifty dollars???????????????? And if you will use the front axle one or two times, than why bother even installing a gear set/bearings/locker.
And when you sell the bronco what do you tell the buyer?
Peace and out.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Not a rant. But on a bronco what is fifty dollars???????????????? And if you will use the front axle one or two times, than why bother even installing a gear set/bearings/locker.
And when you sell the bronco what do you tell the buyer?
Peace and out.

What? read again.....never said I don't plan to or don't use 4x4.

The setup bearings will be a one/two time use as I hope not have to chagne grears again. I say one/two to leave open the door to doing one if I have to for a friend/buddy.

What's $50 well $50 adds up quick when you start buying parts. I just oredered over $700 in parts for the front and that don't include the disc/hub's, calapers, pads or hoses I need for the disc conversion.

I wish it grew on trees.......but it don't here in AR.....LOL

Tim

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
What? read again.....never said I don't plan to or don't use 4x4.

The setup bearings will be a one/two time use as I hope not have to chagne grears again. I say one/two to leave open the door to doing one if I have to for a friend/buddy.

What's $50 well $50 adds up quick when you start buying parts. I just oredered over $700 in parts for the front and that don't include the disc/hub's, calapers, pads or hoses I need for the disc conversion.

I wish it grew on trees.......but it don't here in AR.....LOL

Tim

Sorry I read this.

I am doing the same gig on Cindy's bronco and parts are expensive. And sorry for the mis read.