• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Made me some Dana 44 setup bearings

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Planning to replace the ring and pinion (and bearings) on my Dana 44 up front. Had good success with the rear I redid on my FJ40 and have greater confidence doing another diff. It ended up the cheapest way for me to obtain some Dana 44 setup bearings was to buy some of the more inexpensive bearings and then turn them down to make them into setup bearings. Wanted to use new bearings for setup rather than old bearings.
I didn't even know what a setup bearing was when I started all this. But finally figured out it meant bearings that didn't need to be pressed on. Or in the case of the pinion, the inner race just slips in so you can test fit shims. After you get everything 'setup' you then press on the final new bearings and away you go.

Taking a few thousandths off the inner pinion bearing race.
20160313_102901_zpsnxss0wgw.jpg

Taking a few more thousandths off the inner pinion bearing race.
20160313_102851_zpsgjlhuab8.jpg

Centering the bearing in the lathe.
20160313_093420_zps6vhg6kzw.jpg

Took a few thousandths off the carrier bearings. Had to flip it around to get it completely turned, but that worked out OK. Just took a little longer. Just wasn't enough of the bearings inner race to grab from the outside, so had to chuck it up gripping from the inside.
20160313_092914_zpsfpnlobes.jpg

Test fitting the carrier. Nice tight fit, but slides in easily.
20160313_092937_zpsoa7vberp.jpg

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
good deal. I'm planning to reuse the old bearings, but use flap wheels to open the ID a little bit.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
They are so handy!
Just make sure all your friends don't lose them.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Just be sure to label/ paint them bright orange so they don't get tossed in the "spare parts" box.... don't ask how I know;)