• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone in Phoenix have Dana 44 Setup Bearings?

70_Steve

Old Guy
Anyone in Phoenix wanna come help setup the new gears in my Dana 44??

My new 4.56 front and rear gear sets and Ox locker just shipped from Mike at Complete Offroad. Should be here Monday!!;D

Got a couple quotes on setting up the new gears, and decided to do them myself. How hard can it be, right??

Anyway, if someone close by has some setup bearings I could borrow for a little while, I'd appreciate it. That would save me a bit of trouble.

Trying to get the new gears in by Stampede time!!

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
When I did mine I bought some new bearings and got a dremel grinder and clearanced just enough material off the inside of the bearing so it would slide on and off the pinion and carrier shafts. It's worked fine for 2 setups. Just an idea.

OP
OP
70_Steve

70_Steve

Old Guy
When I did mine I bought some new bearings and got a dremel grinder and clearanced just enough material off the inside of the bearing so it would slide on and off the pinion and carrier shafts. It's worked fine for 2 setups. Just an idea.
Thanks. Yeah, that's plan B. I don't have easy access to a press, so I thought if anyone has setup bearings already (home-made or otherwise) I could do the setup, then only have to mess with access to a press one time.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Steve,

I don't have setup bearings because I borrowed them from someone else here on the forums. (they shipped them to me and I shipped them back) But I do have other tools from my D44 setup if you need to borrow them (micrometer, dial indicator, magnetic stand, inch pound torque wrench, etc.)

fiscus

Loc.
montreal, QC
Another trick is you can heat up the bearing with a propane torch and it will just drop on to the pinion by hand, without a press. But don't heat it so much that it turns blue.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Youre not going to use the bearings from your old carrier are you? Lets pull those off and make set ups from them. I have small press puller stuff if you need. Our shop is near 40th street and I-10. I set mine up and it was not that bad. But I do recommend a new pinion yoke. I also wrecked about 3 pinion nuts setting the pinion depth. The threads on those nuts are good for about 2 times with an impact and I was not in the mood to do it by hand more than once.

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
also , you can bake the bearings in an oven ,, when you figure out how many shims you need ,, heat em up ,, and drop em on ... also ,, freeze the pinion in the freezer ,,, it will assemble easy .... for the last set up that is ...

marc

Loc.
milwaukie,or.
i know that used an electric frying pan and cooking oil to expand the bearing. worked pretty slick, no pun intended.

marc