• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Classic EB video from the Bronco 35th Anniversary in 2001

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Paul, yes I think his user name was MTfit. The last pic is Broncitis' Volvo tractor pulling some east coast Broncos (and a jeep!) to Moab in 2013. That's the trip I was on when I wheeled with the red Bronco. Here's a pic of the other 2 Broncos on the trailer along with mine when it was silver and blue!
Scoop - is that what your current trail rig used to look like?

Todd Z.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Scoop - is that what your current trail rig used to look like?

Todd Z.
Yes. It's been through several iterations! I first wheeled in in primer for a couple years. Then painted it orange with silver Le Mans stripes for the 40th celebration followed by the silver and blue after the orange panels got dented beyond repair! Finally cut off most of the metal and installed the fiberglass skins and painted it Lunar Green. If I redo it again, it'll stay Lunar Green - it's a tribute to my first Bronco which was a 69 in Lunar Green.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Thanks for putting the timeline and names to it! Good to know and I’ll have to add that info to the pics on my computer.
Spent a few hot days in the shop and garage working on that thing myself. It originally kept the leaf springs for awhile, but then he went to the link suspension.
And then Jerry redesigned the link geometry with Jack Covert in Jerry’s garage.
Definitely has gone through some iterations that rig has. For awhile it even had the TrailMaster radius arms that I let the original owner “borrow“ for mock up. I bet it still has the 70a alternator off my 71 too!
Paul, you might enjoy these photos. Rubicon, 2003. Where has the time gone?
IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0636.JPG

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, Lars! Talk about the wayback machine.
But that was only 20 years ago, so I shouldn’t talk. But boy, was my beard, thicker and darker back then! :)
And I don’t think Jerry was ever the same after having to drive that thing back from Tahoe city to Icehouse.
The ride was comfy enough, but the hydraulic steering was brutal, trying to keep the vehicle straight, while dealing with the pedal position.
Driving in stop and go traffic with your knees in your forehead takes its toll!🙄😁

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Wow, Lars! Talk about the wayback machine.
But that was only 20 years ago, so I shouldn’t talk. But boy, was my beard, thicker and darker back then! :)
And I don’t think Jerry was ever the same after having to drive that thing back from Tahoe city to Icehouse.
The ride was comfy enough, but the hydraulic steering was brutal, trying to keep the vehicle straight, while dealing with the pedal position.
Driving in stop and go traffic with your knees in your forehead takes its toll!🙄😁
I was pretty struck by the coolness factor of that thing back then, especially as a rank newbie to the Rubicon world. Except I do recall being suspicious of that steering.

As for the rest, thinner, more hair, of a different color. Yup. I solve the problem by not stepping on a scale or looking in the mirror, and ducking when people try to take photos with me in them. Lol.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don’t mind anymore. I spent my whole younger life ducking the camera, basically because I was behind the lens pulling the trigger.
Never thought I needed any pictures of me, but now I’m disappointed in how many great pictures of good friends I have, none of which have me in the picture!
So now I’m among the first to jump in the scene.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Some of you may remember Dean "Deano" Hathaway, who was a member of the AZ Classic Bronco club here in Phoenix and fllmed a lot of Bronco runs back when not a lot of people did such a thing. His "Deanovision" VHS tapes (and eventually DVDs) were quite popular.

Dean has started loading some of his classic stuff onto YouTube in recent years and one of the latest is this compilation from the Early Bronco Registry Bronco 35th Anniversary celebration in Apple Valley, CA, and surrounding areas.

To give you some perspective, classicbroncos.com was just starting about the time this video was being filmed. It's neat to go back and see how many of the Broncos were built and used back around the dawn of the 21st century. My how times have changed!

I'm working my way through it in small doses but I'm really enjoying it.

Todd Z.

Nice TOdd...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Paul, yes I think his user name was MTfit. The last pic is Broncitis' Volvo tractor pulling some east coast Broncos (and a jeep!) to Moab in 2013. That's the trip I was on when I wheeled with the red Bronco. Here's a pic of the other 2 Broncos on the trailer along with mine when it was silver and blue!

Great shots..

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Was your friend member MTfit here? Or was it sold to him by the that member?
Might have the username wrong, as it does not come up in a search.
Great rig for sure! Fun engine... ;)

The driver in the video was the owner/builder (Rich Ward) at the time, but not sure who the passenger was. His shotgun at the 30th was Wayne Hanson who did most of the actual building of the rig. Back then though, it was just a really sweet '71 with nice custom work. Not a buggy yet...
It was actually still registered for the street at the time, and the next owner (my bud Jerry who might have been that white '77 at the 4-minute mark?) kept it registered. Unfortunately the next owner in NV let it expire and I don't think he ever tried to register it. Would have been a tough thing to do in most states!
Then MTfit got it from him and we used to see it wheeled here in threads fairly often for awhile.

Here's a shot of it in front of Wayne Hanson's shop. After wheeling it again, but well before surgery started...

View attachment 912230

Taken I believe at the 30th during one of the trail stops.
That's it at the bottom of the pic.

On it's way to Moab with friends. Post surgery obviously!
Maybe even after it was sold? Don't have a timeline on the pic, but maybe someone here can remember.

Sorry for the hijack. But it was slightly relevant. And I haven't posted up friend's rigs pics in awhile!

Paul

Good stuff Paul