• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Classic EB video from the Bronco 35th Anniversary in 2001

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Some of you may remember Dean "Deano" Hathaway, who was a member of the AZ Classic Bronco club here in Phoenix and fllmed a lot of Bronco runs back when not a lot of people did such a thing. His "Deanovision" VHS tapes (and eventually DVDs) were quite popular.

Dean has started loading some of his classic stuff onto YouTube in recent years and one of the latest is this compilation from the Early Bronco Registry Bronco 35th Anniversary celebration in Apple Valley, CA, and surrounding areas.

To give you some perspective, classicbroncos.com was just starting about the time this video was being filmed. It's neat to go back and see how many of the Broncos were built and used back around the dawn of the 21st century. My how times have changed!

I'm working my way through it in small doses but I'm really enjoying it.

Todd Z.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I only had time this morning to watch a little but looks very interesting, Thanks Todd!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Interesting video. The well built (for the time) red Bronco (@ the 59 minute mark) was sold to a friend of mine on the east coast and I wheeled with it at Moab in 2013. Here's a pic of it in Mickey's Hot Tub standing on the stinger!

Attachments

• IMG_0744.JPG
    IMG_0744.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 33

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
scoop, that Bill M.? still around?

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Interesting video. The well built (for the time) red Bronco (@ the 59 minute mark) was sold to a friend of mine on the east coast and I wheeled with it at Moab in 2013. Here's a pic of it in Mickey's Hot Tub standing on the stinger!
Very cool! I never knew where that truck ended up. I was on a run with it (in a less-wild form) back in '96 at the 30th, iirc.

Todd Z.

Mikes Early Bronco

Contributor
Oily Driveway Guy
Some of you may remember Dean "Deano" Hathaway, who was a member of the AZ Classic Bronco club here in Phoenix and fllmed a lot of Bronco runs back when not a lot of people did such a thing. His "Deanovision" VHS tapes (and eventually DVDs) were quite popular.

Dean has started loading some of his classic stuff onto YouTube in recent years and one of the latest is this compilation from the Early Bronco Registry Bronco 35th Anniversary celebration in Apple Valley, CA, and surrounding areas.

To give you some perspective, classicbroncos.com was just starting about the time this video was being filmed. It's neat to go back and see how many of the Broncos were built and used back around the dawn of the 21st century. My how times have changed!

I'm working my way through it in small doses but I'm really enjoying it.

Todd Z.
Thank you Todd! This is top notch. I’ve been searching around for a video like this (with Early Broncos) for a while. There is some newer stuff but the classic footage can’t be beat IMHO. If I’m not mistaken, I think one or two of those are still around. I got some work on the Bronco this week. Might play this on loop in the garage.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thank you Todd! This is top notch. I’ve been searching around for a video like this (with Early Broncos) for a while. There is some newer stuff but the classic footage can’t be beat IMHO. If I’m not mistaken, I think one or two of those are still around. I got some work on the Bronco this week. Might play this on loop in the garage.
Check out Deano's channel as I think he's posted some more old school stuff too.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Everyone did just fine without bead locks. 😂
Pretty much! Although, now that you mention it, I do recall popping a tire off the bead on my rig on that day - I was on one of the easier trails that went around the climb up Doran Canyon. There is a brief sequence of me making my way up the beginning portion of the John Bull trail in my truck with 33x9.50 pizza cutters on it. I don't think that would be possible today.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for posting that up Todd! Wow, what a wayback machine time capsule! Lots of familiar faces, and even more familiar rigs.
I recognized (or at least thought I did) most of the Broncos highlighted and in the background just passing out of the scene. Including one blue '77 at the 4 minute mark of a recently passed away Gary Hulme. Way too young, but had lots of Bronco experiences under his belt even by then. Great guy and sad loss.
I wonder how many of them are still with us? Both the people AND the Broncos!
And if the Bronco is still running, does it look the same as it did back then, or has it had a new life in it's later years.

Great scenery, and wish we could do those again. Lots of fun and lots of friendships fired up at them.

Thanks again. To Todd and of course to Deano for taking them!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The well built (for the time) red Bronco (@ the 59 minute mark) was sold to a friend of mine on the east coast and I wheeled with it at Moab in 2013. Here's a pic of it in Mickey's Hot Tub standing on the stinger!
Was your friend member MTfit here? Or was it sold to him by the that member?
Might have the username wrong, as it does not come up in a search.
Great rig for sure! Fun engine... ;)

The driver in the video was the owner/builder (Rich Ward) at the time, but not sure who the passenger was. His shotgun at the 30th was Wayne Hanson who did most of the actual building of the rig. Back then though, it was just a really sweet '71 with nice custom work. Not a buggy yet...
It was actually still registered for the street at the time, and the next owner (my bud Jerry who might have been that white '77 at the 4-minute mark?) kept it registered. Unfortunately the next owner in NV let it expire and I don't think he ever tried to register it. Would have been a tough thing to do in most states!
Then MTfit got it from him and we used to see it wheeled here in threads fairly often for awhile.

Here's a shot of it in front of Wayne Hanson's shop. After wheeling it again, but well before surgery started...

Rich's Bronco before.jpg

Taken I believe at the 30th during one of the trail stops.
That's it at the bottom of the pic.

Rich's Bronco 1st Gen circa '96_00.jpg

On it's way to Moab with friends. Post surgery obviously!
Maybe even after it was sold? Don't have a timeline on the pic, but maybe someone here can remember.

richs old buggy going to moab.jpg

Sorry for the hijack. But it was slightly relevant. And I haven't posted up friend's rigs pics in awhile!

Paul

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I just finally finished watching the rest of it this weekend - I was able to watch bits and pieces of it here and there. @DirtDonk - I also wonder how many of those folks are no longer with us and where some of those trucks have ended up. I'm sure there are some that are now Coyote-powered with black wheels, matte paint, and leather upholstery :). I was reminded by how many of us used to run Kayline tops back in the day - particularly here in the West.

When this video was being filmed on the Hammers, I was ahead of the cameraman on the Sledge side - I was with @TAC71 and others getting their rigs up the hill. We finished in good time and got back to camp at a reasonable time. I remember the blue Bronco breaking a driveshaft and turning around as shown in the video and I can't remember if Coby's infamous "Black Cloud" finished or not.

At the 30th in '96, I rode with folks that did Jackhammer (my first time in JV). We got home very, very late - probably after midnight due to breakdowns and repairs. In that second photo that Paul posted, I can see my truck almost out of the frame on the lefthand side. And in a closer look, I think that's me walking wearing the brown pants and blue hat. I think I probably still have that sweatshirt :). Oh to be that thin again....lol

Todd Z.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Was your friend member MTfit here? Or was it sold to him by the that member?
Might have the username wrong, as it does not come up in a search.
Great rig for sure! Fun engine... ;)

The driver in the video was the owner/builder (Rich Ward) at the time, but not sure who the passenger was. His shotgun at the 30th was Wayne Hanson who did most of the actual building of the rig. Back then though, it was just a really sweet '71 with nice custom work. Not a buggy yet...
It was actually still registered for the street at the time, and the next owner (my bud Jerry who might have been that white '77 at the 4-minute mark?) kept it registered. Unfortunately the next owner in NV let it expire and I don't think he ever tried to register it. Would have been a tough thing to do in most states!
Then MTfit got it from him and we used to see it wheeled here in threads fairly often for awhile.

Here's a shot of it in front of Wayne Hanson's shop. After wheeling it again, but well before surgery started...

. . .

On it's way to Moab with friends. Post surgery obviously!
Maybe even after it was sold? Don't have a timeline on the pic, but maybe someone here can remember.

View attachment 912232

Sorry for the hijack. But it was slightly relevant. And I haven't posted up friend's rigs pics in awhile!

Paul
Paul, yes I think his user name was MTfit. The last pic is Broncitis' Volvo tractor pulling some east coast Broncos (and a jeep!) to Moab in 2013. That's the trip I was on when I wheeled with the red Bronco. Here's a pic of the other 2 Broncos on the trailer along with mine when it was silver and blue!

Attachments

• IMG_0651.JPG
    IMG_0651.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 18

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for putting the timeline and names to it! Good to know and I’ll have to add that info to the pics on my computer.
Spent a few hot days in the shop and garage working on that thing myself. It originally kept the leaf springs for awhile, but then he went to the link suspension.
And then Jerry redesigned the link geometry with Jack Covert in Jerry’s garage.
Definitely has gone through some iterations that rig has. For awhile it even had the TrailMaster radius arms that I let the original owner “borrow“ for mock up. I bet it still has the 70a alternator off my 71 too!