• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Buying My First EB...Need Help!

imigorski

Loc.
Denver, CO
Hi everybody, I am new to this forum and was hoping I could lean on your expert guidance a little bit. I am looking to buy my first Early Bronco, and want to make sure I get a decent deal on a good starter rig. The goal for the rig is a daily driver with some mild builds for light off road, but nothing extreme. I came across one for sale that seems to fit the bill but I was hoping to get some input to whether this seems like a decent deal. I know pictures don't tell the entire story, but the rig is a 3.5 hour drive away and I want to do the best I can before I head out to see it. The seller is asking $7000 and uses it for a short (6 mile) daily commute. The link should take you to some pictures of the problem areas, as sent to me from the seller.

Thanks in advance for your help! I look forward to being a regular participant on the boards!

http://s382.photobucket.com/user/imigorski/library/1973%20Bronco?page=1

Last edited:

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Looks to be a fair amount of filler on her for a CO rig.

To me, it looks like you might be getting into more rust repair than you bargained for.

I bought a rig that was used as a pleasure rig...great shape for the price, but I've already spent a G note on her and I still haven't given her the clean bill of health for a safe road driver.

Rubber brake hoses were junk, intake manifold has been leaking out the back side for some years, carb is off for a dip and rebuild. 15 years ago she received a new water pump....well might as well replace that and the heater core while I'm at it. Then I have to ensure the PH level is good and balanced so I don't eat through my new stuff. Who knows when the rad fluid was changed.

Both axles are going to get new fluid...second owner said they were never changed.

Then there's a pending brake inspection.

The new steering linkage that needs to be replaced.

Oh ya, stuff for these old rigs takes time to acquire through the mail. I just received my choke pull off with a darn broken vacuum nipple. So now I have to go to the store, show it to them, have them reorder another one (original was mail order and shipped to my door) and wait three more days.

OP
OP
I

imigorski

Loc.
Denver, CO
Thanks WheelHorse that's what I was afraid of. Looks like there could be some issues lurking under the paint. I don't expect perfectly clean in this price range but I don't need to get into huge issues either.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Thanks WheelHorse that's what I was afraid of. Looks like there could be some issues lurking under the paint. I don't expect perfectly clean in this price range but I don't need to get into huge issues either.

Best advice I could give you on old trucks like this. BE PATIENT, it is way to easy to jump into a "deal" only to find out it isn't. Do your homework, go to a Bronco event or three. Walk around, talk to owners, ask about thier experiences, look thier rigs over. You will probably also look at rigs for sale, some done up nice, some just rolled out of a barn... You never know. Just don't be in a rush with your first Early Bronco.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, the shame of it is that it actually looks like a nice Bronco. Seems that someone has taken pretty good care (well, at least decent care) of it for many years, but finally realized that the rust was just going to kill them to have fixed.
If it's something you want to tackle yourself, there are enough panels and parts out there to make a new Bronco out of it. But if you'd be having someone else do the work, it'd skyrocket the cost of getting a nice daily driver.

Overall a decent find, but not for 7 grand. Even at today's inflated prices.
And therein lies the stick-in-the-eye right now too. BluebroncoNC's advice is right on the money. But right now these things are hot, so waiting might make you pay more as well. But it's still valid advice. Even paying more for something is worth it if you don't have to fix everything on it!

Good luck.

Paul