• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Considering buying, need help with value

crab

Bronco Guru
thinking about posting this link on the fb add and ask if it is the same bronco, tagged with of course "asking for a friend"

I don’t see any more harm in that. If I were looking at a $50k bronco, I’d want to know every in and out available which rarely happens. If this is the honest real deal as advertised, both here and on FB, there shouldn’t be anything to hide. The more “known” history, the better!

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don’t see any more harm in that. If I were looking at a $50k bronco, I’d want to know every in and out available which rarely happens. If this is the honest real deal as advertised, both here and on FB, there shouldn’t be anything to hide. The more “known” history, the better!

that was my thought process, for that kinda of coin.

OP
OP
T

Txagg

I am not sure why, but I never got an email that this thread was responded to like I did in the past. My "friend" is having medical problems, so like I said I have not bothered him about it. I did tell him that I wanted it the last morning I posted, and asked for more pictures. There was a guy that owns some dealerships that was coming by to look at it the night before that. He told me if the guy offered more than 35k like he originally had, that he would let me know on the spot. Never heard anything. My brother said he drove by the next day and the Bronco was gone. He has not answered me or my brother, though I only sent one more text to him when I found it was gone. I clicked on the FB link, but am not a member of the group. According to my brother the guy might not be the kind of person I remembered him as. He did tell me explicitly that I had first right of refusal, and he wanted me to have it. I would be willing to guess at this point that he sold it for 35k cash at most to the dealer. Brother told me he had a connection to find if and who the registration changed to through the vin, but I told him not to worry about it.

OP
OP
T

Txagg

As far as original paint, it should be and was when I was last around it in person but I have no real way of knowing. The night before the guy was coming to look at it I talked to him and asked him some questions about the condition. I remember in the early 2000's him talking about the dealership doing a ton of work to it cleaning it up. I thought the way it sat in the garage made one side or part of it fade and that they had touched up a certain area of it. When I asked him about it, he said no that it was all original paint and had never even been touched up. The hood stripes looked original to me and the side did not in the limited pictures I had. Also, he told me it had been through a couple of radiators and was not the original. Did not get an answer from him about where the original wheels and hubcaps were.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Txagg

I will say that I think 35k was top dollar for this rig, and more than I would pay. Problem was I had a sentimental attachment to it, so I decided to pull the trigger. When I talked to him he said it had sat unused and unserviced for about 5-7 years or so. He said that in preparation to sell they had the carb, fuel lines, tank, and air cleaner swapped out. Knowing old cars, I can only imagine a bunch of seals needed replaced, as well as all the front end rubber. I asked him if the ac worked and he said he could not answer to that. These are immediate things without even getting started IMO. In the end, I feel the good lord made things happen how they were supposed to. I have been saving to buy some acreage, and this would have slowed that down. I do have to say after getting all excited and thinking it was going to be mine, the outcome was a gut punch.

lannysgs

Well, between putting your cash towards an acreage or a bronco, I’d certainly pick the acreage.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Sounds like he was after the money?

OP
OP
T

Txagg

Shady and dishonest comes to mind. I was willing to pony up for it, and made it known. Maybe that dealer showed him the cash and he said- screw my friend I'll take the cash in hand now and be done with it. That kind of money will buy some more years of alcohol I guess.

OP
OP
T

Txagg

I am now part of the FB group. That is the bronco, you can see the same front bumper sticker. you can also see the same very old registration sticker in the front window with the exact expiration. Guess that confirms he sold it.

OP
OP
T

Txagg

Just found out from a friend that the guy paid 32k for it, just fyi. I was going to pay 35k, bc he told me that was bottom dollar basically. You see how the passenger side seat is almost yellow instead of green? I think at least that side has had some paint refresh because the sun could get to it where it was kept. Guess he really needed the cash right then and there, I had no idea. My understanding now is that there are some serious alcohol problems involved. Pretty gut wrenching to think its being flipped.

crab

Bronco Guru
Easy to say that now that it’s gone. However, like I said a few pages drago, you were too “ on the fence” with a deal of a lifetime staring you in the face. You never mentioned property but gave reasons why you couldn’t justify paying that much for a bronco, meanwhile there were at least 3 of us who offered more then $35k and that bronco would be in our garage right now had you given us the go ahead. Not that any of us “need” another Bronco :)
Theres no doubt that real estate is a better financial investment especially for somebody that doesn’t have a passion for early broncos like we do, therefore undervaluing them. Some of us have owned at least one early bronco for decades and that Ranger was the one we have always wanted but didn’t exist, so more then one bubble was burst...
Now, where’s this property you’re looking at? ;D. Good luck and let us know when you purchase it to make us forgive you;D

OP
OP
T

Txagg

You hit the nail on the head Crab. I grew up wanting a 40 series cruiser, not an early Bronco. I had no idea this one was special, as far as the options. It could have been a stripped down run of the mill bronco, and I would have wanted it the same. My reasoning was all sentimental. I was hesitating because: they are tiny inside to a fault, they ride like dump trucks. I would put it out on my ranch, but it’s too valuable for that kind of use anymore IMO. I will admit, that bronco was one of the top 5 coolest cars I’ve ever been around. I am planning on buying land within 2 hours of college station or so. For the record, I did take the forums advice. I talked to him before anybody came to see it, and told him I wanted to buy it. He specifically told me it was mine if I wanted it, and that he would not sell it out from under me. In the end, I hope it at least goes to a good home and is well preserved.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
My take: The "bad" guy in this whole thing is the purchaser who seemingly pressured the alcoholic (?) owner into selling it to him - even knocking down the price to $32K - when he obviously knew full well what the Bronco was worth. Then tries to flip it immediately at $50K. What a scumbag.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
link from here has been posted on the facebook ad "a friend posted it"

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
this is the response the friend got "Josh Plummer Billy Crabtree don’t know bout that one this one is super clean lots of documents from the purchase pretty sure someone who has 50k would for their collection"