• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Buying my first Bronco (72) need advice

flwerfire

Loc.
New Iberia
Hello,
I am looking to make a purchase of one of my dream vehicles.. It is a 1972 Ford Bronco,manual,4x4.. the thing is I do not know what to look for in a car this old, I have seen pics and it looks pretty good but I know looks can be decieving and rust can be painted over. My husband who knows alot more about old cars is away and cannot help me check it out. I read the buying FAQ's but was hoping someone could give me some more details on what I should look for when I go to physically see it/test drive it. What are somethings that would be important to ask..It is being sold at a dealership rather than by an individual, oh and the asking is $9975
Thank you
Brandi

EagertoLearn

Loc.
Harrisville
You could always ask one ot the bronco gurus on here to look at it for you as well. They would be able to give it a thorough exam. Hopefully someone close to you will chime in an off to help. I would say look at the usual place stiker post area, floor boards from top and bottom, inner fenders. Others will be along shortly to offer up some more advice.

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Can you get a copy of the detailed description and post up some pics? That would help some on here steer you in the right direction.

As Eagertolearn stated, you gotta look for rust in all the bad hidin places. In addition to the above, check the firewall for rust and also look from underneath the vehicle at the bottom.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
EagertoLearn has the right idea... there are many CB.com members in your area that would gladly help. Welcome to the site!

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As others stated post some pics and info if possible, I will say for that price it better be a solid rig and have some modest updates such as pwr steering and pwr disk brakes.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome Brandi, definitely get someone to look at it with ya. Positive that someone will help out ;)

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
After checking for rust and/or rust-repairs, inspect the wiring. These old rigs get thrashed quite a bit by POs who modify, remove or add electrical devices, etc. It may even have a new harness upgrade which could be a plus.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Hi Brandi, and Welcome.

I've seen a few Broncos for sale at dealerships and used car lots. I have yet to see one that's priced reasonably for what it's really worth. The one advantage of buying a vehicle off a lot, rather than from an individual, is that you get a warrantee. To be honest, on a vehicle of this type (40 years old) a warrantee may not mean that much. And please realize that the lot salepeople are looking to capitalize on the uninformed that just see a "classic vehicle" and don't have a good understanding of what it's actually worth. For example, there was a 73 Bronco on a used car lot near me. I made the mistake of going to look at it with my wife. She instantly fell in love with it, but they were asking $11,500 for a Bronco that was really only worth about $7K. Didn't even make him an offer...

For $10K, you should be getting a vehicle that's in daily driver condition. Shiney paint, and no rust. Most likely there would have been some performance upgrades, like suspension lift, larger tires and custom wheels, power steering, front power disk brakes, etc.

Take the advice of the others that have posted so far, and find someone familiar with these Broncos to go with you. Make another post that says "Need Someone Near Seattle To Go With Me To Look At A Bronco". I bet you'll get plenty of responses.

OP
OP
F

flwerfire

Loc.
New Iberia
Thank you all for the replies, its very helpful and I will try and copy some pics from their ad and upload them..

OP
OP
F

flwerfire

Loc.
New Iberia
Buying my first Bronco (72) need advice.. PICS

Hello everyone,
I got some great advice on what to look for when checking out my possible new Bronco (thank you) :) I am enlosing a link to the ad so I can hopefully get some more after people can see the vehicle before heading to the dealership this weekend to see it.. They are asking $9975, all advice is welcome..
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/1864483679.html

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
;D Good looking truck (although I'd rather have the door/top colors match) - Nothing a black soft top wouldn't fix ;D

Too bad no pics of the running gear underneath, under hood, etc. The ad is pretty vague and they obviously don't know anything about that truck other than it's a 72 4wd Bronco.

Vehicle Options: Leather/Leatherette, Tachometer, Fog/Driving Lamps, 4 Wheel Drive, Alloy Wheels, CD Player, AM/FM Radio,

Although there is another Bronco behind that one in the pic - so maybe they flip these with a quick clean paint job.

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
I think you would want to know what is under the Door Inserts as far as rust etc. I think it would be good to be able to install doors where you live. Maybe ask some of the experienced members here what the cost to put on doors would be. That could be price-negotiating ammo. Take a magnet to check for excess Bondo and go prepared to get under to see floors etc.
Welcome to the forum.

MTBronc

Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Welcome Brandi! In looking for my own around your area, I have seen this Bronco on CL for months at the same price. This same dealer has had both of those EB's on there at the same price for months. I would ask yourself if you want a done EB or one to work on some then go from there. There are a lot of good deals out there if you are patient and a ton of people here that will help. Good luck!

OP
OP
F

flwerfire

Loc.
New Iberia
Thank you again for the info.. I definately planned on bringing a magnet as well as show up in some jeans to look underneath it. Good looking truck (although I'd rather have the door/top colors match) - Nothing a black soft top wouldn't fix

"Too bad no pics of the running gear underneath, under hood, etc. The ad is pretty vague and they obviously don't know anything about that truck other than it's a 72 4wd Bronco." SSTLAURE: I plan on having it repainted eventually I want to get it in a blue with white, but it least it isn't an OMG color for now :) I called the dealer and your right they don't know squat. I think he was either being vague cause he didn't know or cause he was talking to a female and thought I didn't..hahathe the only additional info they gave me was that it was a V-8, 3 on the floor, and I think they said a 302..and that it was that the owner who liked old bronco's and bought a bunch up for himself and so people would get whiplash driving by and then come into the lot..lol They have this one and two others that they haven't been able to offload for a long while. I figure I am going to start them at $7700 and see if they fall on the floor..

"I think it would be good to be able to install doors where you live. Maybe ask some of the experienced members here what the cost to put on doors would be. That could be price-negotiating ammo."DBEVANS2249. Good idea I priced them online and doors were about $450-500 each which I figured I could use to bring them down in price..

"I would ask yourself if you want a done EB or one to work on some then go from there." MTBronc, I had considered that, my husband loves to work on older cars, he himself has a 82 Landcruiser. The thing is his job is in The Gulf of Mexico and so isn't home very often, so I am looking for one that is ready to drive but may need minor work or just things to make it "look" nicer. If he was home more we would look at a few others in the area that are cheaper but need more work.
Thanks everyone.. I see that I came to the right place for advice..
Brandi

OP
OP
F

flwerfire

Loc.
New Iberia
Thanks to everyone for all the advice, unfortunatly I didn't buy the Bronco. Went to look at it yesterday and overall it was in pretty good shape, only found minimal rust in 2 wheel wells (brought a magnet) but they had done so many modifcations so it could strickly be an off roader that it wasn't practical as a daily or sometimes road driver. They had completly removed the door frames and would need welding to get a hard door on, and the steering was so bad it was just unsafe to drive on the road.. I am sure someone with the time, money and know how could fix these, unfortuately that isn't me.. So the search is back on.. I know the right Bronco will come along someday so I will continue to dream of that day ;-)

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
The steering could be an easy fix (rebuilt steering box & draglink/tierod. Lot's of Broncos don't have hard doors. Welding wouldn't be required to put hard doors on. Just remove the inserts (the fiberglass part inside the door opening) and bolt the hard doors into the front door jamb (the hardware is most likely still under the door inserts.)

At Broncorama this year JBG had probably 20 sets of used doors for WAYYY less than $400 (I think I saw $50-100 on them)

Not sure what your budget it, but if you're in the 8-10K range you should be able to get a real nice truck.