• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thinking about buying my first bronco. need help

huntingbuck101

I'm thinking about buying a 1966 bronco with a plow for $1500.00 and from what I can see it's a stock setup, 170 ci motor, 3 in the tree, no upgrades that I can see other than new shocks, springs and 2" lift block in the back. Some one did a amatuer restoration job. I can see it has a few spots of filler on every panel and needs new rockers. The paint is spray can. It looks ok at about 30 feet.
I've been doing auto body for a living for the last 9 years so that part doesn't bother me. I just was wondering about a few other things, like can the stock motor power 31" or 33" tires and be able to drive 60 to 65 mph or do I need to put a 302 in it? I know the 302 would be the smart thing to do but would like to keep the cost down for the first couple years and then build a 302. Also would the stock tranny hold up to a mildy built 302, something like 200 hp? How about stock brakes and steering? Could I run that or would it be a pain? I have never been in an 66-77 bronco before so I have know idea what thier like I just Know they look sweet!
I'm looking to have something that I can have looking completely restored cosmetically by next spring and drive it while i save up $ for the motor stuff. Also are there any mods a guy can do to the 170 to help it out a bit to get by for a while?
Thanks for any info.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Welcome aboard. Six cylinder broncos all came with lower gears , 4.11's and even 4.56's. That will help turn some bigger tires but they really don't have a lot of power. If you want a cruzr you may want to keep the 6 for a while with the price of gas. Upgrading brakes and steering is something just about everyone does unless you get a 76 or 77 with discs. Transmissions for a V-8 swap are cheap for a stock 3 speed and automatics can be had for $200 - $300 if you look around.
RUST is the biggest problem with these. Door posts and floor pans mostly but it can be found just about anywhere if you look hard enough.

Good luck with the truck, I hope you enjoy it as much as most of us enjoy ours. Don't be affraid to ask more questions. :)

66halfdone

Loc.
St Louis
If the compresion on the six is good. You will find it a reliable and simple
engine. I would remove the plow and unless you need to 4 wheel remove the front drive shaft. Thats what i use as a daily driver and works great.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a decent deal the 6 will be ok I believe there are some upgrades availible for it try clifford research the have a lot of 6 perfromance parts your future 302 swap will require a V8 transmission as the 6 is a little differant lengthwise and wonk work unless the crossmember is moved or firewall is hacked up. I'd stay with 31's or 32's with the 6 although I guess 33's would be ok especailly if you have 4.56 gears. Stock brakes are poor especailly once you start putting on the larger tires upgrade the fronts to disc the rears are probably the small 10" drums which are ok for now you can upgrade later. Steering is manual ok for small tires but once again with the larger tires and if you do any offroading a power steering swap is alomost a must there are a lot of good kits out there for less than $1000 although if your willing to wait you can find a factory box cheap from time to time. But overall you could run it as is and then start planning upgrading what ever you feel is its worst attribute I ran the stock drums for many years no real problems with them other than the famous drum brake pull to one side or the other when they get out of adjustment barely upgraded to front discs a couple of years ago. Another thing you've already found this site so any problem you have can usually be answered you have access to the greatest bronco minds anywhere all right here.