• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body stored on lift for 2 months, opinions pls

joshua

Contributor
I have a small 2 car garage. I want to make everything new on the frame, and do the body a little at a time on the after it’s joined back to the frame. Needs body mount’s repaired anyway. So I figured get it all straightened out before working on the body.

Plan is to work on the frame with the body over head. Storing it on the lift for what I’m hoping is a couple months or less. I did repair pretty major rust spots before pulling the body. But it’s still has rust in places.

I noticed no flexing or scary noises when I brought it up off the frame. I do have it on screw jacks front and rear. The body seems to be pretty solid in strength and the braces all look good. So is this an acceptable way to store it? Or will it start to tweak.

I realize you can tell the exact shape of the body. But if you could base your opinion on it being a new bronco body’s strength that would eliminate a lot of questions. So if it was a new body would this be acceptable?

I should probably just mention it’s because of space. I’m sure most have figured that out. But just in case I figured I would acknowledge that. I could make a cart as I have a storage unit large enough to hold it. Has concrete floors. But has basically a dirt, grass drive. Also has a pretty steep approach that is basically grass. And an hour haul.

If anyone has done something like this lmk. Or if you just have an opinion lmk

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4504.jpeg
    IMG_4504.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4506.jpeg
    IMG_4506.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4505.jpeg
    IMG_4505.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4508.jpeg
    IMG_4508.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4509.jpeg
    IMG_4509.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4510.jpeg
    IMG_4510.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4507.jpeg
    IMG_4507.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 64

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
I'm no expert, but you'll be fine.
I braced mine (less than yours) and placed it on sawhorses for 2 months while I worked on the body and the frame. Mine is a bush truck and perfect gaps weren't high on my list of priorities, but it went back on the frame just the same as it came off, minus the rot.
I took a lot of measurements and wrote numbers right on the body every time I cut out cross members or anything structural, and once I cut them out I never let it sit very long without the new piece tacked back in with the same numbers I had recorded.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
May gaps aren’t great anyway. Just need it to go back on. I’m building a driver medium wheeler. This thing has definitely had a wreck or 5 before I got it.

Contributor
I had my body on a two post lift for about a week, no bracing, and most of the front floor was gone and firewall. Seems like it’s okay still. I’m sure yours will be good!

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
I kinda thought so. But this is my first body removal where I cared about what I was removing.

Also I forgot to ad hood is still on as well as windshield folded down onto the hood

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I didn't brace mine nearly as much as yours and it was fine. Like @67sport I wrote measurements right on the body with sharpie as I took things apart. You'll be fine. You can't really get the gaps right til it's back on the frame anyway. Any gap you set before you put it on the frame will change because the frame isn't perfect.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Ya I’m strictly working on the frame anyway. I think I’m gonna drive it for a year or two before I get into the body if I can help it.

Last tagged in 05 and I was the owner then 😞

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Steel does not creep. If it survived being lifted off the frame for 5 minutes, it won't change shape in 5 months, 5 years, or 5 decades up there. If it appears to be tweaked when you put it back down, that happened during the lift - not during the intervening months.