• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best place to put ACT sensor?

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Just got done spending an hour and a half on Ryans site. Now that my brain is complete mush, I'm trying to figure it all out. He says to put the ACT sensor in the lower manifold in the intake runner. However, on the explorer, its mounted in the intake tube before the throttle body. Thats where I had planned on mounting it before I read that part on Ryans site.

Which is better or does it matter?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Probably doesn't make a lot of difference. Air in the manifold may be slightly warmer.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I dont think it matters either. I believe it should match the outside air temperature as that is what is being taken into the engine even if it gets warmed slightly by the engine heat on the way in.

I put mine in the airbox

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I've had it in both places- screwed into the lower intake, and now as part of the (Explorer) mass air meter. Absolutely can't tell the difference.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
what you using for a harness? if your getting ryans its wired for it to be in the lower intake.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Nyles, it only takes about 5 minutes and a few feet of wire to make a jumper harness for the RJM harness to mount the ACT to the intake inlet tube.

According to the Probst book the input for both style sensors is the same so the computor won't know the difference.

OP
OP
Crewwzin

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Using a reworked mustang harness. It had the sensor in the manifold as well, but I extended it to go over to the air intake tube before I read all that on Ryans site.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Just sayin where it was on a rjm harness W/O mods, who wants to cut on a 550$ harness?