• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Barrett Jackson 2022

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I happened to be there yesterday when a lot of this silliness was happening (although I wasn't near the auction floor). I am happy to say that most of the builds are getting better than in years past. I saw one truck that had the classic 'aerosol overhaul' black spray bomb on the underside, one with a missing emblem with pins still stuck in the body, upside Duff arms on another, etc. What I didn't see was a lot of hidden rust and really, really question fab and assembly like in years past. They must've added some special punch to the bidder drinks yesterday for what some of these sold for! A fun day checking out cars with Bronco friends and others.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So if you total out the sales from the 31 EB's that are listed, it comes out to an average sale price of about $171,000 per Bronco!

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
9 of them were under 110 but still a pretty high average.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
We were in the staging lanes drooling over the paint on the black Bronco when a guy struck up a conversation with us. He said he sold the red and white '77 at the 2020 auction and the new owner put it back in this years. He had about $95K in the resto so he only made $5K which he thought was great. The new owner didn't change a thing and only put 15 miles on it the last 2 years. Sold it for $150K this year, nice 2 year profit!

He also said the IRS did not 1099 him on the sale. Im not sure what he did with the proceeds but I've always been curious if these flag a capital gains tax.

2022: https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1977-FORD-BRONCO-CUSTOM-SUV-251572

2020: https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1977-FORD-BRONCO-CUSTOM-SUV-237101

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
We were in the staging lanes drooling over the paint on the black Bronco when a guy struck up a conversation with us. He said he sold the red and white '77 at the 2020 auction and the new owner put it back in this years. He had about $95K in the resto so he only made $5K which he thought was great. The new owner didn't change a thing and only put 15 miles on it the last 2 years. Sold it for $150K this year, nice 2 year profit!

He also said the IRS did not 1099 him on the sale. Im not sure what he did with the proceeds but I've always been curious if these flag a capital gains tax.

2022: https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1977-FORD-BRONCO-CUSTOM-SUV-251572

2020: https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1977-FORD-BRONCO-CUSTOM-SUV-237101
Since he had it for more than a year, any profits should be subject to long-term capital gains tax.

Todd Z.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
1,857 vehicles sold for over $195.9 million, while 1,153 pieces of automobilia brought in over $7.3 million, bringing the total auction sales to more than $203.2 million with a 100% sell-through rate and over 140 world-record auction sales achieved. Through the sale of 10 charity vehicles, we were able to raise over $8.8 million for charity

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
This purpose built 428ci Baja F100 was my favorite of the entire auction. It was immaculate in person and I would be too afraid to offroad it.

I turned on FYI after getting home Friday night and it was on the block. They were showing the current bidder and he decided it was too expensive but the bidding assistant was trying to get him to bid again. While this was going on I noticed a guy 1 row up who was waiving at the assistant trying to get in on the action. He eventually got his attention and put a bid in and the hammer dropped. 5 seconds later that guy would have missed out on it but instead he took it home for $90K. I wonder how he'll use it.

251909_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

251909_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

251909_Engine_Web.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Well I am going to build another one, I guess I will be calling you to add to my insurance!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
This purpose built 428ci Baja F100 was my favorite of the entire auction. It was immaculate in person and I would be too afraid to offroad it.

[/URL]

I turned on FYI after getting home Friday night and it was on the block. They were showing the current bidder and he decided it was too expensive but the bidding assistant was trying to get him to bid again. While this was going on I noticed a guy 1 row up who was waiving at the assistant trying to get in on the action. He eventually got his attention and put a bid in and the hammer dropped. 5 seconds later that guy would have missed out on it but instead he took it home for $90K. I wonder how he'll use it.

251909_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

251909_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

251909_Engine_Web.jpg
That was a really neat build! Very nicely done.

Todd Z.

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
THat 66 truck is killer... I noticed that one as it was going across the block. Was wondering if there was a build for it on the internet somewere.

carter2772

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
And a 289 with three speed floor shifter for 161,700 Unreal! I missed the boat not entering mine this year. This is spiking. https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1967-FORD-BRONCO-CUSTOM-SUV-252246
So im curious how BJ works. Using this bronco for an example.

- What does the seller end up with? (as far as $ with the sale price of 161k)
-What fees does it cost to run a vehicle through?
-Is there a reserve?
- With the new tax law, I assume you will have to figure in an income tax now too?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The buyer pays a buyer premium, without going back and looking, I think it is 6% of the sale price. They pay that above the hammer price.
The seller pays a sellers premium, I think it is 8%. As in they get 8% less than the hammer price.
On top of that there is a listing fee, hundreds if not thousands depending on the time slot. Simply put, the auction house is making tons of money.
It is a no reserve auction, with rare exceptions. And I mean super special vehicles only. This past year I didn't see any reserves being lifted so it may be back to a pure no reserve auction again.
Contact your tax accountant for taxing, not the internet.

Bring a trailer is only a $99 listing fee, no sellers premium, and buyers premium is much less and capped at a pretty low number. But in the end it is little more than an arranged private party sale. BaT does not do title transfers or collect any money except what they take in for themselves. You can get a reserve, costs more, and you have to convince BaT that you think the reserve is a valid number. If it is higher than they think it will sell for they won't even list it.

carter2772

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
The buyer pays a buyer premium, without going back and looking, I think it is 6% of the sale price. They pay that above the hammer price.
The seller pays a sellers premium, I think it is 8%. As in they get 8% less than the hammer price.
On top of that there is a listing fee, hundreds if not thousands depending on the time slot. Simply put, the auction house is making tons of money.
It is a no reserve auction, with rare exceptions. And I mean super special vehicles only. This past year I didn't see any reserves being lifted so it may be back to a pure no reserve auction again.
Contact your tax accountant for taxing, not the internet.

Bring a trailer is only a $99 listing fee, no sellers premium, and buyers premium is much less and capped at a pretty low number. But in the end it is little more than an arranged private party sale. BaT does not do title transfers or collect any money except what they take in for themselves. You can get a reserve, costs more, and you have to convince BaT that you think the reserve is a valid number. If it is higher than they think it will sell for they won't even list it.
Ya, ive been watching BaT quite a bit the last couple months. Seems like a pretty decent place to sell, and not give half your profit away.