• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AOD experts...

Stoneman

Loc.
Silver Spring, MD
I fear I have an issue caused by the culmination of engine, gearing and perhaps other factors that may prevent a solution. My AOD does not downshift well at all. While in OD, it won't downshift. No big deal. I just keep in 2 during "city" driving and throw it in OD when on the hwy.

The problem: In 2 (cycling from 1-3), it really wants to stay in higher gears putting the engine at or below 1000 RPMs. The low power band is killing me at times. I understand this is a governor issue, but is the governor even adjustable?? Any ideas would be great. It is the only issue I have that is hampering the joy of driving my rig.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
What have you done to your engine/transmission? Are they stock etc? Have you installed a shift kit? Is this a built AOD?

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
This sounds like a mis-adjusted TV cable. Take it to a trans shop and have them check it. It took a while to get mine dialed in. If it is a TV cable issue, get it fixed soon, or you will burn out your transmission very quickly.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Find a good schematic of the AOD valve body (it's pretty complex). Take everything out of it and lay it all out in a VERY organized manner, clean everything up with brake clean and put it all back together. While it's out you can take the accumulator valves out and check them out aswell. I've been told by a couple of tranny guys that the Ford AOD is one of the most complex valve bodies to work on.

I'm suspecting you may have contamination in one of the circuits. Or the TV cable got out of whack. Put a pressure guage on the pressure test port and see what it says. I don't exactly remember the spec's but the TV cable is easy to adjust.

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
with regards to the governor, the truck is a lower speed type, meaning it will make the gears shorter, the car aod governor is a high shift point type.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
Sounds like you need to adjust the TV cable tighter- this will bring up the pressure a little and hold the shifts a little longer (not to high though). It not down-shifting out of OD and quick shifts are a sign of the pressure being to low. I have a low gear set in mine and use the mustang govenor, I have to keep the pressure up a little for it to shift ok- a shift kit helped dial it in

OP
OP
Stoneman

Stoneman

Loc.
Silver Spring, MD
I thought the tv cable would adjust upshifting. If it affects downshifting as well. That is great news. It does shift a bit early anyway...just more pronounced of a problem when downshifting.

Thanks for the advice!