• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AOD experts-opinion on this setup

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
This was in the local craigslist. I have a 68 Bronco with EFI 302, 4.11 gears and I run 33" tires. I realy like the idea and ease of swapping in an AOD (although I know it will need the coversion for my Dana 20). Would it be a good fit and does the price seem reasonable?

"FORD STREET/STRIP AOD TRANSMISSION WITH LOCK-UP CONVERTER.HAS ALL THE GOOD STUFF.FORD RACING LOW GEAR SET #M-7398-D,2.84 LOW GEAR-1.55 SECOND GEAR/SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE AOD A+ SERVO KIT/PRECISION INDUSTRIES HARDENED INPUT SHAFT/WIDE BANDS/ GOOD CLUTCHES/BAUMANN INDUSTRIES VALVE BODY WITH STAGE 3 KIT INSTALLED/B&M DEEP ALUMINUM TRANS PAN/B&M BRACKET-LEVER KIT#40496/ACC#26402 2800-3200 LOCK-UP CONVERTER/EXTRA PARTS COME WITH TRANS-2200 STALL CONVERTER,VALVE BODY AND MISC AOD PARTS.TRANS HAS LESS THAN 5000 MILES SINCE NEW-NO MILES ON ACC 3200 CONVERTER AND VALVE BODY UPGRADE!!!WAS IN 90 MUSTANG DAILY DRIVER.ASKING $650.00 OBO"

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Probably not a bad price but I'd question/ask why its for sale. I'd also check on the low gear sets I've heard in the past they dont hold up well but I could thinking of the ones for the C-4's

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
For starters it's for a 2wd, all that really means is that in requires an adapter to mount behind a dana 20. It also means that you basically need to take the whole thing apart to mount the adapters output shaft and housing, you pretty much already need to rebuild it to use it. I'm honestly not a tranny expert, but it sounds like it was built for a hard shifting street racer/drag racer, which I don't really think you'll like very much in a bronco. It looks like they spent the money on decent parts, so I also question why it is for sale with the low miles... As for the low gear set, it has the 4R70W planatary gearset in it.

Check out http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/index.shtml, for an awsome rightup and explanation of the 4R70W, it will also explain the shift kit part and stall speed which will relate to your OAD in question.

If your really interested in it I would check it out thoroughly first. These trannies can be had cheap on ebay, I picked up a 2wd 4R70W with 7400 miles for $75. For that price I can add a baumann TCI and still be ahead of an AOD.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I got my AOD free and I still spent over $650 for all the hard parts, custom valvebody, and rebuild kit. I still need to rebuild it.

So for starters that trans has some goodies but you still don't know the condition of the internals..

adambuddell007

Loc.
Reedley,California
a aod is great I love mine but it is no cheep swap. To install the adapter you must take the whole tranny apart. If you have never done a aod take it to a pro. you need special tools and the know how. You need a body lift unless you want to cut or take a hammer to the tunnel cover. If you get the one from above junk that high stall converter you will not like it.

Here's my cost breakdown-
adapter-- $500
high end rebuild kit--$600 ( all the good stuff )
pro rebuild- $620
new T/C- $85
2" body lift-- $150

It was worth it,with my efi 5.0 and the aod I get 16-18 miles to the gallon with 35" tires. Its my daily driver. Find a guy that really knows aods not just some tranny guy that has rebuit a few. Don't forget about the T.V. cable it is very important you adj. it corrrectly or you could damage the trans.