• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AOD experts please help

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am in a bind here. My BCB headers are causing all hell with my AOD cooling line placement. The AOD cooling lines have an adapter that goes into the transmission and then accepts 5/16 inverted flare. What is the size/thread pitch of the fitting that goes intot he transmission. Or does anyone make a 90 degree male inverted flare fitting? This is going to play hell on my remote filter/thermostat/cooler setup as I want to run it under the passenger area. I cannot get my tubing bender to make a tight enough 90 bend to get me by the header/exhaust. Thanks, BI

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The case is pipe thread. So getting the 90 degree fittings in brass is very easy. Your local hardware store should help you out. You may be able to find it all in one fitting.
Bax

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The guy at the specialized fitting/hose place stated it is not pipe thread. The thread pitch is 18 but I am not sure about the size 1/2" (not in NPT). BI

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
I would convert it to AN fittings. That way you can make your own braided flexible lines. Ends of the line could be 90s or 45s or straight....whatever gets you around the headers. I have the AN fittings on my AOD.

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What size AN fittings went into the case? Or did you go into the adapter fittings with the AN. Thanks, BI

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I went to the shop last night and screwed a pipe fitting into the case with no problem. I know that is what I used. If it is a different thread it must be close to pipe. But you know my luck with AOD's

Bax

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
What size AN fittings went into the case? Or did you go into the adapter fittings with the AN. Thanks, BI

I dont have the box here, but I am sure they were pipe going into the case.

I have another AOD here and it would seem the fitting is 1/4X18 pipe. But I tried threading a 1/4X18 fitting in the case and it's a tight fit. Probably b/c the case is some weird size. I wrapped mine in teflon and tightened it. Never leaked. My adapter (aluminum) is 6 AN I believe.

It is a straight adapter out of the case and the AN fitting on the braided is straight out to the chassis. But that's just my application. Obviously braided is pretty flexible.

Fitting : http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/660500/10002/-1

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard

The AOD case threads are like a 1/4" pipe thread but not tapered, the hex from the factory fitting bottoms against the case and factory thread sealer is used. Some have had success using pipe thread fittings but use caution. I have seen cases crack at the hole when a steel pipe fitting was used. When you screw the wrong type fitting in the case, a softer metal like aluminum or brass is more forgiving and of course use teflon tape.

An early C-6 case fitting is the same non-tapered thread, and is a shorter inverted flare fitting (5/16) Sometimes you can get enough clearance for those headers using these if you have a good tubing bender.

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the assistance. I went with a 1/4" NPT male with a 3/8" inverted flare 90 and went real careful/easy with pipe sealant. My bottom was puckering when putting that on! Thanks again.