• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

another one wire alternator question!!

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
battery measures a full 12 volts
Is that 12v with the engine running? When I measure voltage at the battery cables with the motor running and alternator charging, I get between 14 & 14.5v. If you're only getting 12v I don't think your alt is charging...

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
You should get slightly more than 12v with engine off on all 12v circuits and 13.5-14.5 with engine running as said.

If you’re getting less than 12 when your battery is 12v, then there is something wrong or a resistor you don’t want.

OP
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Contributor
Loc.
concord, nc
i believe that i will wire the positive post on the coil using the red/green wire at the vr. and skip the brown wire at the relay. i am positive that my alternator is charging ...shows 14v-14.5v with motor running and battery shows 12v across terminals. if i am loosing voltage to the coil it most likely is in the wiring?

OP
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Contributor
Loc.
concord, nc
i wired the coil directly from the red/green wire at the vr and i have a full 12v at the positive terminal on the coil with switch on. the engine revs smoothly and i had no popping in the exhaust. this has been a truly enlightening experience and thanks for all the help...classic bronco forums the best!!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s great!. But you’ve still got a voltage loss somewhere important. Unless that last statement was a typo?
With the engine running and you seeing 14 to 14.5 V at the alternator, you should be seeing exactly the same at the battery.
If not, you need to find out why.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
That’s great!. But you’ve still got a voltage loss somewhere important. Unless that last statement was a typo?
With the engine running and you seeing 14 to 14.5 V at the alternator, you should be seeing exactly the same at the battery.
If not, you need to find out why.
+1 on that. Should be the same.

OP
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Contributor
Loc.
concord, nc
the 12v at the battery was with the engine not running. i just checked and with the engine running i get between 14 and 14.5 volts. thanks for pointing that out.