• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

another one wire alternator question!!

maxwedge5281

Contributor
Loc.
concord, nc
i just installed a one wire alternator with help from forum members. i did not have a charge initially as my belt was too loose. the bronco would start but only run a few seconds and then die. once i discovered the loose belt and adjusted it properly the engine ran fine. i always thought that the engine would continue to run with power from the battery until the battery was depleted and low or no power to complete the circuit to the coil. why is not the case? 69 bronco...

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
can you post some pics of how you have it wired? It should run without the alt if the battery is good and charged.

OP
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Contributor
Loc.
concord, nc
i have it wired as recommended by wild horse tech bulletin. the red large cable is attached to the alternator post and passes through an inline fuse to the input side of the solenoid. 20240106_150845.jpg

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Might just be me, but I can't really grasp that pic.

Should be Alt to battery directly, proper inline fuse still a good idea (rated for a spike in amps from Alt).
Batt to solenoid.

Do that and it'll run without the alt.

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Are you still using the resistor wire to the coil? With that coil you need to bypass any resistor or resistor wire to the coil.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Might just be me, but I can't really grasp that pic.
Yeah I've been staring at that as well to the point I went out to look at mine....I have the same alt.
Mine's wired like this:
Battery positive cable to relay
Alt cable to mega fuse
Mega fuse to positive Battery post

With that coil you need to bypass any resistor or resistor wire to the coil.
Yup! That coil needs 12v

Have you upgraded your wiring or is it basically stock??

OP
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Contributor
Loc.
concord, nc
i believe that the wiring to the ignition is correct. it has not been a problem since i bought it. there are not resistors in the system that i recognize.

OP
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Contributor
Loc.
concord, nc
ba 123. my battery positive is connected to the relay . the alternator cable is connected to the alternator and then to the fuse and then to the same post on the relay as the battery. this seems different from your setup.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Like I said before, all the one wire alt instructions I’ve ever seen, say alt direct to batter with fuse in between, if desired.

That might not be the problem if they are to the same post, but are they? Your pic doesn’t show the whole scene.

Does my blue line show what your alt wire is doing? Zoom out.

1704832703022.png
Also, what type of inline fuse do you have on there?

OP
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Contributor
Loc.
concord, nc
yes mine is wired like that as well. i removed the voltage regulator. and, i have the same plug connector loose as you show.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wiring an alternator output to the battery side of the starter relay, is essentially the same as wiring it directly to the battery.
The only thing "extra" is a few inches (usually) of additional battery cable. If all of the cables are in good condition, then there is not enough resistance in that short run to make a difference.
Again, essentially the same thing as connecting it directly to the battery.

The fuse is always a good idear...

As the others have said as well, if your battery can crank the starter and start the engine, then it should run fine with, or without the extra couple of volts of the alternator charging.
But if you have a computer controlling anything, that is expecting to see full voltage all the time, and better yet, the 14-15 volts of a working alternator, that could explain why it's acting up.
With all the new wiring, I would certainly not rely on one of those "temporary patch connectors" like you are using on your battery terminal. Yes, they can work fine, and do so for quite awhile. But they have too many down sides to not try something a little more on the permanent side.

If you said you had a carb and points ignition, I missed it. Since you have a Pertronix coil, do you have a Pertronix Ignitor distributor, or similar?
The resistor that we talk about all the time is not visible on a Bronco. It's the resistor wire between the ignition switch and firewall, which turns into the Red w/green stripe wire that runs to the coil.
If you are running the original wire to the positive side of the coil, and running the Ignitor off of that, it could be at least part of your issue.
There are plenty of documented cases on the forums over the years of engines that ran just fine initially, but at some point weeks, months, and even years later started giving trouble when it was running with the original resistor wire.

What exactly are the wires on your coil? Is that a Red wire from the distributor on the positive side, and the Black wire from the distributor on the negative? What's the additional wire on the positive? The original Red w/green?
You can test this theory, or of any issue with the ignition switch too probably, by temporarily running a jumper wire from the battery positive to the coil positive.
Remember, do NOT leave the wire connected. Only connect it when you're ready to fire up the engine, then disconnect it to either stop the engine, or in the case of the engine stopping on it's own.
Just like leaving the key in the ON position, never leave a hot wire connected to the ignition coil.

Paul

OP
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Contributor
Loc.
concord, nc
thanks guys for all the suggestions. i will try to check out each suggestion tomorrow and go by the parts store for a new positive battery cable.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Wiring an alternator output to the battery side of the starter relay, is essentially the same as wiring it directly to the battery.
Yes, you’re right, it is, but my main point was, we can’t see that it is connected that way. Looks sloppy and not a full pic. And I still vote for less wire and direct, but that’s me.

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
we can’t see that it is connected that way

It is if the wire with the blue line is coming from one side of his in-line fuse. Its bolted to the same stud as the positive battery cable (green line).
They're basically touching each other bolted to that stud.

We need a wider pic that shows everything.

1704861840533.png