• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 yr frame off finally to paint

Galt72

Contributor
I've had my bronco since 89. 4 years ago all I wanted was to simply repaint it. Found the door posts and front floors were gone and it was down hill from there. Yesterday I was thrilled as it was finally towed to my painter. On this journey it was tore completely down. I think it took me a yr just to scrape all that rubberized crap off the bottom of the tub and fenders. The frame and bottom of the tub were blasted along with the doors, grill, fenders, hood, tailgate all epoxy primed. The interior is sprayed with lizard skin. All new axles, gears, lockers front "e" locker and detroit in back, hubs, brakes, steering, new 5.0, 435 rebuilt, Dana 20 rebuilt, new drive shafts, shock towers, long radius arms, body bushings and 2 body lift. Waiting in the wings, is American Wiring harness, BC air, Hydro boost, efi, explorer front group, tilt column. I don't have any interior picked out yet.

Its been quite a challenge getting it to this point to say the least. I thought the welding and grinding was never going to end. Seemed every step forward was accompanied by two steps back. I easily have a 1000 hrs into it so far. My painter promises I'll have it back by Christmas Boxwood Green... Feels good to vent...lol

20151203_163906_resized.jpg

20151203_164305_resized.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

this is when I first took the body off.
DSCF0014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nathan_1970

Man, thats got to feel good. Congrats and it will be great to see the new paint.

old 71

Congrats on your progress,
I feel your pain I'm 2years in on the same path.It will all be worth it in the end. Be sure to post pics after paint would like to see the color.
Keep up the good work, won't be long now.

Dale

BRONCO635

Dude I feel ya. Just took 71 to painter thanksgiving weekend. I've been doing 10 yr Frame off . I'm so ready to get it back together.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I've had my bronco since 89. 4 years ago all I wanted was to simply repaint it. Found the door posts and front floors were gone and it was down hill from there. Yesterday I was thrilled as it was finally towed to my painter. On this journey it was tore completely down. I think it took me a yr just to scrape all that rubberized crap off the bottom of the tub and fenders. The frame and bottom of the tub were blasted along with the doors, grill, fenders, hood, tailgate all epoxy primed. The interior is sprayed with lizard skin. All new axles, gears, lockers front "e" locker and detroit in back, hubs, brakes, steering, new 5.0, 435 rebuilt, Dana 20 rebuilt, new drive shafts, shock towers, long radius arms, body bushings and 2 body lift. Waiting in the wings, is American Wiring harness, BC air, Hydro boost, efi, explorer front group, tilt column. I don't have any interior picked out yet.

Its been quite a challenge getting it to this point to say the least. I thought the welding and grinding was never going to end. Seemed every step forward was accompanied by two steps back. I easily have a 1000 hrs into it so far. My painter promises I'll have it back by Christmas Boxwood Green... Feels good to vent...lol

20151203_163906_resized.jpg

20151203_164305_resized.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

this is when I first took the body off.
DSCF0014.jpg

And Boxwood Green too.

Great color choice Bud. That thing is going to be way better than an ICON.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Congrats! I know exactly how you are feeling. Just went through that a month or so ago. I was seven years getting to where you are and once it is back you will be like a wild man that can't be stopped until it is on the road again.

jrcflash

Congrats for sure. I took mine apart about five years ago. Since then I have very seriously considered selling the project or parting it out. It is great and inspiring to see yours making great progress. Press on. I will too.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Congrats for sure! Sometimes the tunnel seems like there will never be light at the end but then you see a flicker of light and it only keeps getting brighter and brighter. Can't wait to see that Boxwood Green! Great Color!!!!! ;D

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
Congrats! I cant wait to be at that stage. Sometimes I regret taking it as far as I have, but the end result will (hopefully) be worth it.

OP
OP
Galt72

Galt72

Contributor
Thanks, I was going to paint it myself. I had before years ago. I ran out of steam after all the welding and grinding etc. I'm so excited to get it back and start putting it back together.

OP
OP
Galt72

Galt72

Contributor
Getting closer

So excited to see fresh paint its so dam pretty!! still needs cut and rubbed. The body is next. Hope to have it all home next week sometime. Boxwood Green oh ya....
20160108_151213_resized.jpg

20160108_151352_resized.jpg

20160108_151139_resized.jpg

20160108_151147_resized.jpg

20160108_151125_resized.jpg

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Beautiful and congrats! Hopefully your not like me... The assembly after paint is on year three, lol!