• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3/16" Brake line double flaring tool???

High Pressure

Loc.
Charleston, SC
Who makes a decent 3/6" brake line double flaring tool. I need to flare about 5 ends at this time... a few more in future... don't need a professional $500 unit but question if a Harbor Freight $13 will even work?? Sears has some that range from $35 to $120...

Thanks in advance for the advice..

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I got mine from Sear and it already paid off it's $17.99 price....

ransil

Bronco Guru
I just threw a Sears one in the trash, it sucked!!!
I got tired of "trying it" again every time I needed a flare, it does not double flare steel line.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Dont go too cheap on this tool. Some just barely do the job. Everyone needs one. Mine is a K&D and it works good. It was about 45 dollars

Flintknapper

Loc.
Deep East Texas
Dont go too cheap on this tool. Some just barely do the job. Everyone needs one. Mine is a K&D and it works good. It was about 45 dollars

+1

If you go "too cheap" on this one, it will just be an exercise in futility.

Double flares require a good amount of pressure...and the fixture on cheaper flare tools will not hold the tubing in place when making the second flare.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have been thinking of getting one of these
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MAS-71475.html

Spendy I know. But I hear they are good. But I only hear it from someone who knows someone who has one. I have yet to see/play with one in person. Until then I wait and hope I don't have to use the other tools.

WOW that looks nice. No more turning the handle! Bubble flairs too. I'm getting one. Tools are good.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Spendy I know. But I hear they are good. But I only hear it from someone who knows someone who has one. I have yet to see/play with one in person. Until then I wait and hope I don't have to use the other tools.

Tim:

I have one. You're welcome to come over and try it/use it if you'd like. I haven't had an opportunity to use it on lines that are actually on a truck yet, but I can tell you it's a night and day difference between it and the old hand crank models that don't work worth a crap. I've played around with it a few times forming some sample flares and it seems to work well.

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Todd, if you say it is that good, I believe it. Now to see if there is any money left over after the holidays wrap up. I have to go out today and spend more money again, almost done. 2 more days and it will have to be done!

70_Steve

Old Guy
Double flares require a good amount of pressure...and the fixture on cheaper flare tools will not hold the tubing in place when making the second flare.
I've successfully made double flares in stainless line with the cheap $15-$20 flaring tools. It takes patience but it can be done. I agree, especially with the stainless tubing, the fixture has a hard time keeping the tubing in place. I resolved that with the addition of a c-clamp in the middle of the fixture.

Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I just threw a Sears one in the trash, it sucked!!!
I got tired of "trying it" again every time I needed a flare, it does not double flare steel line.
You'd be surprised what a little annealing to the ends of the tube would do to make the double flares go easier.. The one I got does double flares..

Kenny

I've successfully made double flares in stainless line with the cheap $15-$20 flaring tools. It takes patience but it can be done. I agree, especially with the stainless tubing, the fixture has a hard time keeping the tubing in place. I resolved that with the addition of a c-clamp in the middle of the fixture.

Agree. With my Sears flaring tool alone, I couldn't seem to apply enough clamping force for the second flare....the tube kept slipping. I ended up clamping the middle of the tool with my bench vice, and it worked. A little lube at the end of the tube also helps.

68ford

Bronco Guru
i saw a while ago on muscle car tv one of the guys say that with stainless line only a single flair is required because the lines is stronger?
just curious i this is true or not?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
i saw a while ago on muscle car tv one of the guys say that with stainless line only a single flair is required because the lines is stronger?
just curious i this is true or not?

I've heard this before as well but I have no personal experience to say yes or no. For grins I dug through some of my brakes/plumbing books here tonight and didn't find any mention of using stainless hard lines at all. I do know single flares are acceptable with the AN fittings but their construction is a little different than the normal SAE nuts.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
H

High Pressure

Loc.
Charleston, SC
Thanks for all the quick responses... Yesterday afternoon I purchased a Sears double flare tool... seems to be a middle of the road with regards to price. The most basic double flare tool kits have the same features. I have only tried it on 3/16 steel brake line. If I prep the end of the line on my bench grinder to make sure the end is square and without I.D. burrs and grind a small chamfer on the o.d. of the line it works great. Have done 2 ends so far and hope to finish up the brake lines this evening. Just followed the instructions for extending the tube the correct amount out of the clamp and applied oil for the 2nd flaring step.

bigbri69

Loc.
tomsriver
i own a plumbing co.so i have flaring tools.and i have bin working on lifted trucks cince highschool.i have never used a double flare.even the guys i build with use my flare tool.thay work fine.never have leaks.and im not a hack eather i used a flairing tool befour i knew thay had to be double flared.but i never bought one cause the single flare works fine imoap.

357Bronco

Loc.
New Hampsha

I've had one for a while, makes short work of re-lining or repairing lines. It's also not as clumsy to use as the older style. First time I used it I was laughing because it was so easy, nice....

OX1

Bronco Guru

Attachments

• DCP02721.jpg
    DCP02721.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DCP02722.jpg
    DCP02722.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 18
  • DCP02723.jpg
    DCP02723.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DCP02726.jpg
    DCP02726.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 21

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i need to write a letter to santa real quick and change what i want man those things are sweet