• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake line tightening down

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
Another thread post said that GM changed from 3/8 bleeder to 10mm. Might be worth trying a different size to see if it stops leaking and seats better.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you sure the bleeder said 10 foot pounds? And not inch pounds?
Admittedly, inch pounds sounds a little light, but foot pounds sounds like the ragged edge of way too tight.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Yes.

Ideally marking the seat area would be best. I don't know how you could do that. Dykem you can put in the end of a swab ( not a Q tip) to cover the seat. Needs to be a thin layer. Spray dykem might also work.

You can do the same thing where your banjo fitting should be sealing. You are checking for high and low spots and complete sealing.
I get that stuff everywhere all over everything, just looking at that tube of Dykem blue.

OP
OP
C

CopperBronco

Are you sure the bleeder said 10 foot pounds? And not inch pounds?
Admittedly, inch pounds sounds a little light, but foot pounds sounds like the ragged edge of way too tight.
Thanks, sounds like 6-9 ft/lb as I look, but generally, not very tight. Small wrench just stop fluid coming out is my barometer… test the brakes and if leaks maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 turn tighter, does that sound right?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
…test the brakes and if leaks maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 turn tighter, does that sound right?
Sounds more like it.
Closer to that 1/8 turn, however, as I don’t think I’ve ever turned one and a quarter turn past tight.
Some of the cheap modern ones would probably snap off!