• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake and fuel line bending/flaring tips

Jaybr

Contributor
Spent the last couple weekends bending brake and fuel lines and being new at it I made some mental notes I thought I would share for anyone planning to give it a try.

My only experience is with Nicopp, and the only tip I have there is spend a little extra and get decent quality. I’ve read that some of the stuff on eBay and Amazon is fake and is actually steel core. I used some from The Stop Shop on Amazon my 3/16 came from AutoZone, all was real Nicopp.

Flaring:
Put the nut on the tube before you flare it! This should go without saying, but I’m sure everyone forgets once in a while. I did it once last weekend and again today.

Clean up any burrs in the tubing, and square the ends. I used a burr removal tool for the inside and 400 grit sandpaper on a block for the ends and outside edges. On the smaller 3/16 tubing I used the tip on a paddle bit for the inside.

Make sure the die lines up properly with the tube. I’m using a Mastercool tool for flaring and generally it works really well. On one flare yesterday (at the end of my most complex bend) the die didn’t center correctly and when I pressed it put a divot in flare on the first press, then the cone press cracked it.

The Mastercool 37* flare dies are for double flare, AN fittings use single. In order to do the single flares you can skip the first step and just use the cone. When doing this you need to recess the tubing in from the normal position or the flare will be too big.

Bending:

Get a tubing straightener, it makes a huge difference if you want it to look good. I purchased 3/16, 5/16, and 3/8 straighteners on Amazon. The 3/16 is a Titan brand and worked better than the other 2 cheaper ones. If I could do over I’d get the better Titan brand in all 3 sizes. The others worked, just not as well.

Make templates with scrap pieces and use them to calculate where your bends should start and finish. If you mark your measurement on the tubing and put that mark on 0 on your bender, your going to be long. You get the idea, just figure out for each size tubing where you need to place the tubing in the bender.

Cut long until you’ve finished all your bends. I started at the hard end of a piece and worked my way to the other end. Once all the bends where done and everything lined up, I trim the end and flare to finish.

I used several benders depending on the tubing. The one with blue handles is the nicest, but although it claims to do 3/16 (in a 1/4” slot) it doesn’t without flattening. Make sure the bender has the correct size grooves for the tubing you’re bending.

Bending pliers come in handy for small bends, especially on short pieces. I used these in several places where I couldn’t fit the other benders.

You can use pipe, buckets, or anything round (I used a Can Cooker for one bend) to bend larger curves around. I’ve seen videos where guys used pipe to make coils in Nicopp.

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone and if others have tips please post them.

f9a64a77ab28983a6c1393374299f906.jpg

e2f4176e7d4b9e55c434bdcbc542c479.jpg

5939a945ed6004eaa077313bc1f69eac.jpg

68e8eeccb1a993f9efa26cf27352c634.jpg

69ef8cfb0110aea91056db321cb395b0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boccanegra

Need to replace portions of my brake lines in my 1970 Bronco with Dana 30 front end, drum brakes all around. Mainly the distribution block to the master cylinder, and the lines connecting to the block. Can anyone recommend a good source for this, where I don't have to but the whole $400 set and I can get it shipped quickly? My mechanic could not remove one of the threaded connections from the back of the H block.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Never saw your thread originally Jaybr. Thanks for posting that up.

For you, Boccanegra, have you checked with the different vendors, such as us at Wild Horses, to see if we have just the section you need?
We don’t only sell full kits, but do sell some individual segments as well.
But of course we have to have them in stock for that theory to do you any good.
And preferably closer to where you live. Which I can’t see on my phone just yet.

Good luck!

Boccanegra

Never saw your thread originally Jaybr. Thanks for posting that up.

For you, Boccanegra, have you checked with the different vendors, such as us at Wild Horses, to see if we have just the section you need?
We don’t only sell full kits, but do sell some individual segments as well.
But of course we have to have them in stock for that theory to do you any good.
And preferably closer to where you live. Which I can’t see on my phone just yet.

Good luck!
Southern California. I'll give them a call!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use the Eastwood flaring tool. Love it.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
And since you mention Nicop… I’ve started my fuel and trans lines using Nicop and made my fitting bends. Imo, it’s kinda too soft for my own preference. And a good tip for making a nice bend, is go VERY slow or it just crushes in your bender.

I have the Mastercool hydraulic flare too as well and got both the 45° and the 37° die sets. Correction that 37° is not a standard double flare. You can use it and might be ok with something so soft as Nicop but 45° is standard double flare for most things like brakes and 37° single, as you said, is for AN.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Hi, most American car double flare tubes use a 45* flare. I hope yours came out the right way. Good luck

I used 45* double flare for the brake lines and 37* single flare for the AN fuel lines.

What I meant to say in my original post was that the Mastercool 37* dies are setup for double flare and you need to use them in single stage for the single flare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
I too ended up bending all new brake lines on mine. I tried a few of the off the shelf, pre bent lines and they just didn't fit to my liking. By the time i got them all lined up and fitted into the main line and axles, the bends just looked so awkward. I recently switched to hydroboost and now all my lines are new and bent by me. its the only way to go!

i haven't done the fuel line yet, but plan to use aluminum for that.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I too ended up bending all new brake lines on mine. I tried a few of the off the shelf, pre bent lines and they just didn't fit to my liking. By the time i got them all lined up and fitted into the main line and axles, the bends just looked so awkward. I recently switched to hydroboost and now all my lines are new and bent by me. its the only way to go!

i haven't done the fuel line yet, but plan to use aluminum for that.
I would stay away from aluminum. Just go Nicop if you want easy. I bought a ton of it through 4lifetimelines.com

Aluminum gets brittle.