• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steel brake line for fuel line?

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got a '73 where the P.O. took all the front bolt-on attachments off. (Balancer, fuel pump, Eccentric, Timing chain/ cover, T-stat housing, water pump).

Putting it all back on with new, Question is since I don't have any fuel lines now, I just want to feed the mechanical fuel pump from a gas can... What size fitting is on the fuel pump, so I can get a length of brake line to thread into it?
Do they make brake line this big?
Thanks

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Yes sir! They make all different lengths. Just measure and get a rough estimate of what would be close to running the whole length of your frame, and go tell them you need 3/8th steel brake line in that length. you can even get barbed ends for it to run the last little bit of either side with rubber hose to connect to fuel tank and fuel filter/carb or EFI. Works awesome!! You can bend it along the curves of your frame and mount it with clamps to look professional ;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You'd better look at your pump specifically first though.
Most, if not all have a 5/16" tube running from the output to the carburetor, but we've seen some that are also 5/16" on the input side, while others are 3/8" on the input side.
Best to be sure.

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
use transmission line instead of brake line. most good auto parts carry a bin with different lengths and sizes or if you go to online speed shop suppliers you can get coils but you have to flair for your own fittings.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The steel line is the same. Brake, fuel, transmission.

Need to check the fitting on the pump, and the carb.
Use some stiff wire. TIG filler rod is great if you have it. Old metal coat hanger. Even solid core household electrical wire. Route it, shape it, measure it. Copy into a fuel line.

Frame to fuel pump, that is rubber. I prefer to upgrade this rubber. A non-permeable hose (marine fuel hose, Earl's vapor guard, etc.). Keeps the hose from rotting from the inside out.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
None of the factory tubing is in a good location once you start other mods. Investing in a bender, cutter, and flair tool is a good idea on any build.

Steel line from a good auto parts store is strong and works great.

Once I reinstalled the drivetrain without putting the tranny cooler line in first. I was faced with either pulling the drivetrain back out or installing new tubing around the components. Turned out fabricating tubing to fit is really easy.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Hard nylon tubing is even better, easier, cheaper, & more-versatile. It won't rust, and it's easier to connect/disconnect if you use press-fittings. Run it inside the frame where possible, and add braided stainless sheathing where necessary.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Hard nylon tubing is even better, easier, cheaper, & more-versatile. It won't rust, and it's easier to connect/disconnect if you use press-fittings. Run it inside the frame where possible, and add braided stainless sheathing where necessary.

Not for what the poster was asking about. For fuel pump to carb metal line rules. You can't shape that nylon and make it do bends like steel can do.

Sure long straight lines down the frame, nylon like the factory did.