• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

285/70R17 LUBR Rubbing Issues

marcussly27

Contributor
I couldn't help but throw these big tires on an uncut bronco. I have 17x7 wheels with 4.5 inches of backspacing on 285/70/17s with a 2 inch BL and 2.5 inch SL with a little extra in the rear measuring around 3 inches total (see image). The rear axle was moved back an inch by Kincer since the chassis is through them. The wheels are barely rubbing so I don't need much. Thoughts? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2169.JPG
    IMG_2169.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2162.JPG
    IMG_2162.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2164.JPG
    IMG_2164.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2165.JPG
    IMG_2165.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2161.JPG
    IMG_2161.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2160.JPG
    IMG_2160.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2163.JPG
    IMG_2163.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2167.JPG
    IMG_2167.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2166.JPG
    IMG_2166.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2168.JPG
    IMG_2168.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 163

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The first comment I have… Well, the second comment after what a great looking rig you have! Is that those wheels don’t look like 7’s with 4 1/2 inches of backspace to me.
They look like they stick out farther than they should with those specifications.
Did you confirm the measurements?

Not that I’m a wheel and tire whisperer mind you. Just that it was the first thing that popped into my head.

Second, do you have a better shot of the U bolts and top retainer plates on the leaf springs?
In that one picture it almost looks upside down.
The curved edge goes down facing the leaf spring. If that’s the way you have it, great.
Just looked like the squared off edge was against the springs from here.

Sorry I don’t have a for-sure cure for you.
Trimming the body is one way. Not impossible, not too hard, but not very desirable with new paint.
And it might not be a cure either.

Narrower tires are probably the most obvious fix. But certainly not desirable from a wallet standpoint.

Do they rub equally on both sides? Is it possible that the body is offset slightly?
Not very high up on the list, but not impossible either.

Good luck.

OP
OP
M

marcussly27

Contributor
I haven't been on here in years and of course DirtDonk to the rescue! Is this picture helpful? I'll confirm later today that my wheels are indeed 7 inches wide, but I'm pretty sure they are. Doesn't seem to be any good fixes, it's pretty tight in there with everything going on. I'm half tempted to just buy 265/70/17 tires which would take me from about 32.8 x 11.5 down to 31.6 x 10.7 and call it a day. Easy fix, although it'll cost me over a $1k. My wife thinks the tires are too big anyhow and her happiness is key to my happiness. Going with more backspacing on the wheels I don't think is doable? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2171.JPG
    IMG_2171.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
M

marcussly27

Contributor
And yes they rub equally on both sides. Everything seems to be centered very well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree with your wife (for once!) that the tires do look too big. Personally I’d hate to lose the added diameter, but the width for an uncut is definitely more appropriate to my eyes with with 265s.
But you have probably seen several discussions where members used a 285 successfully. If you haven’t those might be worth dredging up because over the last, oh I suppose, two years or so? Two or three members have done 285 x 17‘s. At least I seem to remember they were on 17 inch wheels.
I just don’t remember the wheel specifications.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe they were using wheels with 5 inch backspacing? That extra bit tucked inside would probably clear your body.
That lower front rubbing was helped greatly by moving your axle back slightly. Ultimately you could trim that little corner and nobody would notice.
Harder to trim that part of the top though.

Oh and it does appear in the limited light that your top plates are installed correctly.
You can verify though just by making sure that the “edge” (so to speak) touching the leaf springs is rounded.
So that there is literally no sharp edge touching a leaf.

Your U-Bolts are a bit on the short side.
Normally there’s a little more threaded rod showing out the top. But I do see some, and they are the tall nuts, so you’re probably fine.
However like all installations, you should re-torque the bolts after 500 miles or a few weeks of driving.
Then after that a couple of times at moderate intervals just verify that the nuts are still tight.
You shouldn’t have to do that forever, but for the first few thousand miles it’s a good practice.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would be tempted to buy 1 265 tire and try it out. If it works great, get 4 more (the 5th for the spare)
I've owned a set of 285s on my F250. That would be a really tight fit on an uncut. Trying to find the exact right wheel, and then I still would expect a bit of rub at times. I think the 265s would be a good fit. My big truck came with 245s and am planning on 265s when it comes time to upsize.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and speaking of 265 versus 285, while you’re out there with a tape measure get an actual height measurement on the tire and compare that to the printed numbers.
Just out of curiosity.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
In my opinion, I would just clearance whatever is rubbing.
off subject.
How do you register a Kincer frame in your state?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had forgotten about that aspect of his build. Just curious marcussly are your front and rear axles stock width?

OP
OP
M

marcussly27

Contributor
I had forgotten about that aspect of his build. Just curious marcussly are your front and rear axles stock width?
Wow these 285s are much smaller then advertised. Actual tread width is about 9.5 and height is 32 on the nose. Think I’m going with the 265s. Going with new wheels with more then 4.5 backspacing, painting them, and still possibly having rubbing issues sounds like hell. Smaller tires and a happier wife sounds easier. Thanks everyone!

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have widened a many vehicles with minor rubbing like this by unbolting the inner fender brace in the area its rubbing, then pulled the area hard out by hand and let it re settle an inch or more out. Then modify the inner fender bracket to be longer.

OP
OP
M

marcussly27

Contributor
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I went to Costco yesterday and found the new BFG Trail Terrain 265s. I didn't realize they had this new tread pattern. They look very similar to the KO2s yet are apparently much quieter and better on the road, which is where I spend most of my time. Does anyone have any feedback on these new BFG All Terrains? I think I'm going to grab them, try to sell my KO2s, and make the switch. It'll solve my fender problem, give me a better road experience, and take me back to a more suitable tire size for my Bronco. I'm kinda over trying to fit these huge 285 tires under this thing. The 265s just seem like a much better all around fit, and I think they'll look better.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had that size on my LUBR prior, I had to narrow the rear axle. I have 265 now and overall very happy with them. Just fyi.

OP
OP
M

marcussly27

Contributor
I had that size on my LUBR prior, I had to narrow the rear axle. I have 265 now and overall very happy with them. Just fyi.
Good to hear! The more I look at this truck with 285s the less I like it. Plus my KO2s are rough and these new Trail Terrains seem to be a better road tire which is perfect for my needs.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good to hear! The more I look at this truck with 285s the less I like it. Plus my KO2s are rough and these new Trail Terrains seem to be a better road tire which is perfect for my needs.
I have Ko2 still. Tuff looking but not over the top.

Jonathan_Cole

What wheels are those? And do you have an updated pic with the 265's?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk