• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

71 Cali Bronco Build

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

As I was putting in new body mounts I came across a few interesting PO issues.

Broken off dip stick. How the heck did he check the oil?

Missing motor mount bolt. And, missing body mount bolt. It looks like he tried to change body mounts got 6 done then gave up. ;D

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

Putting new quarter panels in. I had the same issue many others have had with quarters being off square by 1/4". I used the same trick some else on the board used and I hate to say it. sliced my new quarter panels to get a tight line.

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

Ok, now I'm caught up to current progress. I'm ready to hang the cowl but am concerned about how square I need the bed. The passenger side looks really good. Drivers side is off about 1/4" on bottom. Does this need to be perfectly square to kick panels? If so I may need to adjust body mounts.

Driver side 2.JPG

Passenger side.JPG

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

That's pretty funny, Rob. I'm guessing that most of us on here have had that same thought at one point or another. "Honey, is there a big hole in the checkbook? It's empty again! "%) Welcome to the addiction!

Addiction is right. This thing is taking over my life. We are learning a bunch in the process though. Definitely a life lesson for my boy.

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

Does anyone have the door opening dimensions from edge of kick panel to edge of rear door post? I have the one with all the dims for setting front door post which is great. I just need the rough in numbers for placing my cowl assembly prior to door posts. Shown in pictures.

Front edge.JPG

rear post.JPG

tribaltalon

Loc.
Humble Texas
Great build man. Looks like you're making steady progress! It can seem like way too much at times, a lot of times it's best just to step away for a few days/weeks and get a breather and then get back at it. It'll all be worth it when its driving again. That's what I keep telling myself anyway!

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
6911750060da4f6becebce01647b2b22.jpg

Found this on a Google search for you. Use at your own risk.....
Nice work so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

Thank you Mr. Blue for the dimensions.

What I was really needing at this point is just edge to edge of sheet metal like in the pictures. I thought it was 35-1/2" but can't remember? I think this will get me close for mock up. Once I get the door posts in place I will use the other dimensions to get it just right.

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

Now if anyone can tell me if this 1/4" out of square is a problem?

Sorry to be so pesky. I'm catching up from two months of bottled up questions. :)

Driver side.JPG

Last edited:

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Mine is slightly out of square but my doors fit nicely. (Better to be lucky than good!) I'll check with a square when I get home today and update.

suckerpunched

I don't think the out of square at that point is an issue. can't say what mine is, I never checked it. The door however has to eventually fit back on. can you mock the door up and check fit against rocker and quarter panels?

suckerpunched

Hopstr

Contributor
Great work on your build so far and nice documentation. I agree with Suckerpunched in that the door fitment is very important at this point in your build. Try to mock it up with the doors in place. Door fitment issues are a constant source of irritation with early Broncos. You can find a hundred threads about it on here. You might even want to put the top and the windshield back in during the mockup.