• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on. - Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SOLD 1966 Ford Bronco - Cali Original - 36K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico1492

01212_aEh7PXzaaCF_600x450.jpg

A Brief History of This 1966 Ford Bronco:

This Bronco was originally owned by John Payne, father of world renown FireIce Racing, Jay Payne. Jay's father was a big rock collector back in the days and this '66 Bronco was the truck that he used on his expeditions. A lot of his travels were to Quartzsite Arizona, which was a short drive from his Arizona home at that time. This explains the super low mileage on the truck- 36K!! I have an envelope full of old registration slips dating back to 1966!!

After John's passing, the Bronco remained under a carport for over 30 years, until Jay finally decided let it go. It made it's way back to California were it was originally purchased-hence the Cali black license plates. A buddy of mines was the one who purchased it from Jay not that long ago, who then put some work into the Bronco to get it running like it should. He then reluctantly sold it (too many projects) to the guy I bought it from. The previous owner didn't want to modify it and ultimately wanted a Bronco with a V8 so he decided to sell it.

So I picked it up and now because of other priorities in my life I have to let this classic go. I had thought about doing all kinds of mods to it, however, after learning the history of it, I think it should be completely restored. And it won't take much to do. Aside from the cut rear quarters, there isn't that much changed from how it was when John Payne owned it. There was a homemade rear tire carrier that was removed as well as a non-functioning A/C compressor that was removed from the engine. There is a notch taken off the front core support because of the compressor, but this didn't compromise the radiator. The doors also have these old school armrests with what looks like speakers integrated into the armrests. Awesome concept I might add!! Someone had replaced the front bottom floorpans with factory sheet metal at one point. That's about the extent of body work. Rust free and straight as can be aside from a couple of dings, one small dent in the passenger rear tail light skin thats hard to see because the rear bumper covers it and a couple of paint chips/scraps here and there. A portion of the rockers looks like some previous work was done to them, a little rough but easy fix. All in all - AMAZING condition for it's age!

List of work done to it.

Work my buddy did after purchasing it from the Payne family;
Changed all fluids, new alternator, new battery, new fuel pump, new radiator, rebuilt carburetor, new air filter, refurbished speedo cluster with LED lights, new plugs, distributor - complete tune-up and new body mount bushings throughout. The wheels were locked up after sitting for so long, so the brakes and axles were completely serviced with new gear oil and all new brake parts and wheel bearings. Runs and stops great!! Not to mention the fuel economy of the Straight Six is awesome as well!

Work previous owner I purchased it from had done.

• Herculined the entire floors and bed inside.
• Installed a roll cage, although it's missing the 2 points that go to the rear of the bed floor, so it's currently a 4 point roll cage.
• Completely rewired entire truck with brand new Centek wiring harness.
• Installed new tires and great condition rims. 31x10.5x15
• There are some brand new weatherstrip pieces I have that are yet to be installed but will come with truck.
• Installed reupholstered front bucket seats and rear bench.
• Installed 3 point seat belts for front buckets.
• Installed a Tuffy center console lock box with 2 drink holders.
• Installed 4 new shocks front and rear.

That's pretty much how I got it. All I've been able to do is add a brand new Hurst 3 speed shifter to the floor in place of the old column shift. I still have the column shift parts that will go with truck as well as some other misc items such as dash pad, visors, rear bench arm rests and under dash air blower component. The previous owner had tried to power wash the blue paint off the hardtop but gave up and left it. I went in and stripped off the blue because it looked like a really bad out of paint spitting rattle can job. In fact I wouldn't doubt it if the Payne family were the first to come up with the patriot colors that Stroppe would eventually go on to be known for.

Well. . . not much else to say about this American Classic! It's a pretty much bone stock ultra low original mileage (36K) early 1966 Bronco - Dana 30 front end, Ford 9" rear, 170 cid engine, 3 speed transmission, T-style Dana 20 transfercase. It has a true '66 hardtop-with the key lock to the right of the latch handle. I even have the original jack that mounts to the rear of the bed on the passenger side. This '66 is super straight and super clean, it has it's usual surface rust here and there-but being in AZ so long definitely kept it clean. I'm just hoping the next owner will do this '66 justice and make it another badass classic 1966 Early Bronco driving down the road!!

SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!

For more photos check out my more than 100 photos here.

Last edited:

67RT

Bronco Guru
I paid $185 in January to have this Bronco professionally inspected before Rico1492 bought it. I had an offer that the buyer was going to take before he sold it locally for the same price. I believe it may have been originally a pale yellow. This truck definitely has some issues, but is pretty darn solid for it's age and starting with a rust free base is worth $$$. It had a soft top installed when I was looking at it and was used off road by the previous owner. It was test driven and thoroughly inspected. It spent a good amount of time on Craigslist. Last owner wanted a V8 as well but was reluctant to tear this one up. Hopefully it is that good and not another issue as I recall it had some paint thickness issues. Rico has a lot more pics than I have but I would be willing to share the inspection with Rico or anyone that wants to buy it. If I didn't already buy one I would be trying to get this one again. Good luck Rico!

OP
OP
R

Rico1492

I paid $185 in January to have this Bronco professionally inspected before Rico1492 bought it. I had an offer that the buyer was going to take before he sold it locally for the same price. I believe it may have been originally a pale yellow. This truck definitely has some issues, but is pretty darn solid for it's age and starting with a rust free base is worth $$$. It had a soft top installed when I was looking at it and was used off road by the previous owner. It was test driven and thoroughly inspected. It spent a good amount of time on Craigslist. Last owner wanted a V8 as well but was reluctant to tear this one up. Hopefully it is that good and not another issue as I recall it had some paint thickness issues. Rico has a lot more pics than I have but I would be willing to share the inspection with Rico or anyone that wants to buy it. If I didn't already buy one I would be trying to get this one again. Good luck Rico!

Thanks 67RT, I do recall the previous owner saying another possible buyer just had an inspector come by but decided to sell it to me because of some disagreement with the dollar amount? Not sure... But I'd like to see what came out of that inspection. I'll PM you my email.

The only area I see that may have some thickness is a portion of the side of the rockers, that's all I've seen. The original color is springtime yellow. The white and red paint doesn't look to have multiple coats, the blue that was on the top came off really easy.

67RT

Bronco Guru
The only area I was told was thick was the rockers, which may have some bondo but he got up under the truck and it was spotless with only surface rust. Probably an off roading dent back in the day when it got the pseudo Stroppe paint. I verify that I was told the same story about it sitting in an AZ carport for 30 years. There aren't bodies like it out here on the east coast and the things that were wrong/not working were mostly simple, although I think it may not have had the heater core or the plumbing??

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does it still have the Ken Roggy Ford license frames on it?

OP
OP
R

Rico1492

I do have one of the Ken Roggy license frames, the previous owner replaced the rear license frame and I've been hounding him about the rear frame to no avail. He believes he threw it out, either in the trash or with his scrap metal recycling trip unfortunately. But I know I have the one at least. The photo is in my photobucket library.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I was going to ask about the Roggy plate frames too. Very unfortunate that one was thrown away. And the original chrome steelies on the truck would look really nice too.

Todd Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.