• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 Ford Bronco manual steering shaft coupler and seal replacement. Am I out of luck trying to find this?

Teo

Contributor
FullSizeRender.jpeg IMG_0464.jpeg IMG_0461.jpeg IMG_0463.jpeg IMG_0537.jpeg FullSizeRender.jpeg IMG_0534.jpeg IMG_0535.jpeg IMG_0536.jpeg IMG_0538.jpeg The new parts arrived from Wild Horses and the coupler is now rebuilt. As you can see the cup blocks were worn clear through. When I install the new steering gear box I hope to have a much improved handling experience.

Last edited:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I'm about to pull my 66 column out for a power steering install. Any thoughts or pointers you'd be willing to share? Best of luck finding that boot.

No need to remove the column. Just loosen it at the firewall and under the dash, then slide the one piece steering shaft out the bottom to the inside of the frame rail. Reinstall whatever steering shaft you'll be using with the PS box before you tighten the column back up and before you install the steering box.

Gsav69

Contributor
No need to remove the column. Just loosen it at the firewall and under the dash, then slide the one piece steering shaft out the bottom to the inside of the frame rail. Reinstall whatever steering shaft you'll be using with the PS box before you tighten the column back up and before you install the steering box.
Beauty. Thanks for that insight man. Do u need to yank the box first to get it out or can u move it over enough to slide it pit with the box still in? I appreciate you.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Beauty. Thanks for that insight man. Do u need to yank the box first to get it out or can u move it over enough to slide it pit with the box still in? I appreciate you.

If you're removing the manual box to install PS why wouldn't you just remove it to begin with?

Gsav69

Contributor
Hey bud. Hate to resurrect this again. Did you remove the blinker assembly in order to pull the shaft out on your 66 or were you able to slide it out without depinning and pulling the wires out? I have the steering wheel off and it looks like there's a snap ring on the top of the shaft that would be easier to get out by removing the blinker wiring and my fingers are crossed that I may not have to. Thanks again.

Jonathan_Cole

You may be able to pull enough wire back to get the collar off. De-pinning the wires is not that big of a deal and it's not difficult.

The Lisle tool #56500 works well for this.

Gsav69

Contributor
What about just removing the snap ring?
I'd have to pry and pick down below the collar for the directional and risk damaging it. If what i saw was indeed a snap ring, it is recessed down a bit. I'll shoot a pic when I'm in front of it.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I'd have to pry and pick down below the collar for the directional and risk damaging it. If what i saw was indeed a snap ring, it is recessed down a bit. I'll shoot a pic when I'm in front of it.

What year are you working on? The upper snap ring was added when the column bearing setup changed around 73/74. The earlier years didn't have an upper snap ring in the column. Doesn't mean someone didn't put a later shaft in an earlier column or earlier Bronco, but from the factory the snap ring was only on the later years.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’s probably a simple as loosening the lower, retaining collar, if you have one, and once the shaft is disconnected from the gearbox, you slide the shaft up towards the driver.
That gives you plenty of access to the snap ring. That’s my recollection anyway.

Gsav69

Contributor
It’s probably a simple as loosening the lower, retaining collar, if you have one, and once the shaft is disconnected from the gearbox, you slide the shaft up towards the driver.
That gives you plenty of access to the snap ring. That’s my recollection anyway.
Ahhhhh. Didn't think of that as an option. Will try this tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Gsav69

Contributor
There's def some kind of ring. Should be fine. Looks easier than I had originally thought.

Attachments

• 20240425_210710.jpg
    20240425_210710.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240425_210707.jpg
    20240425_210707.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 11

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
There's def some kind of ring. Should be fine. Looks easier than I had originally thought.

That's the metal bushing that the spring rides on. It is not attached to the steering shaft. It just slides on over it and is in there loose.

Gsav69

Contributor
If you zoom in, theres a gap on either side, one of which looks like a place where i can relieve tension and the other a small flex point. It's coming out today or tomorrow. Stay tuned. Thx for all the support