• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Bronco - press conf from Ford

Ryan_M

Loc.
Franklin
Let us not forget that the price could swell quickly which would make the return of the 2020 Defender look like a possible alternative.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
They just keep kicking the can down the road

I disagree.
It's already dead.
They missed the window for a success. Remodels/New variants on the Jeeps, Tacomas, and a new Defender will dilute whatever market and hype (magazine pages) they thought they could secure for advertising.

How I see Fords Execs and the New Bronco:
giphy.gif

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
LOL that's funny. And this is a dead horse!

I agree that by the time Ford actually builds the bronco they will have missed the boat. But I think the fact it is taking so long gives hope to it being something special. Because if it was just going to be an Escape with a Bronco name plate it would have been released by now.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
t it is taking so long gives hope to it being something special. Because if it was just going to be an Escape with a Bronco name plate it would have been released by now.

I figured this is exactly what it is. The production team is scheduling to retire just before the release so they can't get fires when it flops!

I'm hoping it is worth waiting for and priced so someone with reasonable means could buy one.

SavageBurro

my two cents for the day:

Hmmm.. Ford released confirmation over two years ago that the new bronco is coming.

From R&T: Hinrichs described the upcoming Bronco as "a no-compromise midsize 4x4 utility for the thrill-seekers who want freedom and off-road functionality, with the space and versatility of an SUV. It's capable of conquering everything from your daily commute to gravel roads and boulders," Hinrichs said, with images of rocky, technical off-road trails flashing behind him.

Later: …. Someone claiming to be a Ford designer on Reddit said that the Bronco will be similar to the Everest.... Former Ford Chief Technical Officer Raj Nair, however, contradicted that assertion—he said the new Bronco will be a unique vehicle, not a reworked Everest. Size-wise, he said we expect something smaller than the original Bronco but bigger than the 1980s Bronco II. And if you're worried the new Bronco will be a glorified Explorer, don't be. He followed it up by saying "people have an idea of what a Bronco should be. Certainly, we have an idea of what a Bronco should be, and we're going to be looking forward to bringing that to our customers."

They said, in part, that it would "not compromise", that it would be able to "conquer boulders", and would appeal to "thrill seekers who want freedom".

To me that says it must have strong drivetrain with sufficient gearing, traction, clearance and reliability to actually conquer boulders. Hmmm.. not quite sure how you can avoid compromising. To me straight axles are better equipped to conquer boulders (more reliability, better potential flex etc), but straight axles do not ride as smooth. So do you run straight axles that run better offroad to conquer boulders and compromise on road ride; Or do you run ifs for the better on-road handling but compromise reliability and flex offroad?

They don't say what 'freedom' is to them, but a logical conclusion is that thrill seekers wanting freedom want something open air/ topless. So, a logical assumption would mean freedom = removable top (or portions thereof). Or do they simply imply that leaving the city by going down a rural gravel road is freedom? I can do that in a civic.

Using Ford's words - things are certainly promising. But... two years now and nothing to show the public? Like many on here have said- what we say doesn't really matter. They're going to do what's best for Ford (as they should).

The longer they wait- I wonder how many sales will be lost from people in the market now. And... once those would-be buyers are into something else - it's highly unlikely they would be able to buy the bronco even if they wanted to. Most of those folks will be locked into financing the other something for x years and likely unwilling to take a hit by selling and financing something new.

Bottom line: They absolutely need to get the bronco 'right' (whatever that is to most buyers).
Secondary: They should release it sooner rather than later in order to not lose would-be customers to competitors.

You know they have been working on designs long before they released their statement two years ago. I can imagine there have been many internal fights going on within Ford's design teams and bean counters over what is 'right'? C'mon Ford, build a new bronco that takes significant design cues from our original broncos (with utilitarian functionality, new interior comforts and modern drivetrain)… and do it soon.

Last edited:

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
My $0.02 and worth what you paid for it...

Ford is currently in development of the Bronco platform after having the development team on another recent project, perhaps the new Explorer or Ranger. They don't have a new team for every single project; they have to finish up a project before moving onto the next one.

So, all you guys are getting your panties in a twist for nothing. Ford laid out their pipeline 2 years ago because they knew they were going to shutter their lineup of cars. They prioritized what they thought would drive the highest sales and be some early wins (explorer and ranger) before focusing on the from-scratch projects like the Bronco. They made an early announcement with just an idea so they could feel out the reception, and then start working on it when the team was ready *if the demand was there*.

There is a documentary called 'A Faster Horse' that shows the development of the new Mustang. You can watch it on Netflix. A lot of work and planning goes into a ground-up redesign, and it will typically take years to put something together for production.

In fact, at the Detroit Auto Show, Ford recently talked about the need for a halo vehicle and this year it is the GT500. A couple years ago it was the GT. At one time the Raptor was that halo vehicle. Who knows, maybe the Bronco will be the next one and it will be better than we all imagined.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Ford started out with claims that it would be a true competitor to the Jeep Wrangler.

Then they backed away from that with 'except on rock crawling'.

Then they backed away even farther with saying it would be for driving 'to the beach' and 'to the mountains' (a Subaru wagon can do that).

So far it has been all hype and no substance, potential buyers are getting tired of this and starting to expect to be disappointed.

When the new Bronco finally gets here it may well be Too little, Too Late.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I think they didn't want to release it anywhere near the same time as the new Jeep and it's Gladiator cousin.
I believe the Wrangler got SUV of the year from Motor Trend recently .....that wouldn't have looked good, ya know if Jeep got SUV of the year on the release year of the new Bronco,
I am going to buy one no matter what, unless it is so ugly I can't look at it. But when I see the latest Mustangs,........I have hope. Ford sure did good with the Mustang now "and" when it initially went retro a few years back. If they do that well I will be in line for a NB (New Bronco).

If it is ugly or a complete weakling I will prolly still get one and just give it to my wife and/or daughter.
Lol

Jaxgtc

I think they didn't want to release it anywhere near the same time as the new Jeep and it's Gladiator cousin.
I believe the Wrangler got SUV of the year from Motor Trend recently .....that wouldn't have looked good, ya know if Jeep got SUV of the year on the release year of the new Bronco,
I am going to buy one no matter what, unless it is so ugly I can't look at it. But when I see the latest Mustangs,........I have hope. Ford sure did good with the Mustang now "and" when it initially went retro a few years back. If they do that well I will be in line for a NB (New Bronco).

If it is ugly or a complete weakling I will prolly still get one and just give it to my wife and/or daughter.
Lol

There might be something to what you are saying. The 2018 Jeep was a home run waiting to happen and the remake of the Scrambler/Gladiator has been much awaited like the Bronco. With Explorer and F series in queue, I guess timing is everything for internal and external reasons.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
My $0.02 and worth what you paid for it...

Ford is currently in development of the Bronco platform after having the development team on another recent project, perhaps the new Explorer or Ranger. They don't have a new team for every single project; they have to finish up a project before moving onto the next one.

So, all you guys are getting your panties in a twist for nothing. Ford laid out their pipeline 2 years ago because they knew they were going to shutter their lineup of cars. They prioritized what they thought would drive the highest sales and be some early wins (explorer and ranger) before focusing on the from-scratch projects like the Bronco. They made an early announcement with just an idea so they could feel out the reception, and then start working on it when the team was ready *if the demand was there*.

There is a documentary called 'A Faster Horse' that shows the development of the new Mustang. You can watch it on Netflix. A lot of work and planning goes into a ground-up redesign, and it will typically take years to put something together for production.

In fact, at the Detroit Auto Show, Ford recently talked about the need for a halo vehicle and this year it is the GT500. A couple years ago it was the GT. At one time the Raptor was that halo vehicle. Who knows, maybe the Bronco will be the next one and it will be better than we all imagined.

Except The bronco won’t be a scratch built project

It will be some other existing vehicle with the plastic grill shaped different

Probability an escape or some other four cylinder front wheel drive unibody cute ute chick car

Like the explorer , it is now a minivan with hinges doors instead of sliding doors , which is fine for Ford since it doubled sales

But ford does some weird stuff

They absolutely refused to advertise the Flex station wagon

I read somewhere they Ford sent out a memo saying none of the flex ads were allowed to show children
And that it was to be always shown driving at night , never in daylight

Then killed it when it didn’t sell

They ran down the reputation of the Taurus so bad they had to change the name to 500

Tried really hard to turn the Mustang into a FWD four cylinder , remember the Probe was gonna be the Mustang

If they had done that, there wouldn’t be a Mustang today , it would be dead and gone
Just like the Thunderbird
Let’s take a car that costs $17k, take away the back seat to make it nothing but a toy , so we are now competing with BMW and Porsche , and triple the price , that should sell a bunch
They couldn’t remember that they sold seven times more thunderbirds when they added a back seat ?
Etc
It’s just hard to imagine that this time they are gonna get something right

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
It’s just hard to imagine that this time they are gonna get something right

All I can say is I never even thought about owning a new Ford in my 30+ years of driving, but my 2018 F150...where to begin? the styling, interior, lightweight aluminum body, performance - a V6 with twin turbos and nearly 400 HP :eek:

I even have an app that lets me not only remote start it from anywhere, but SCHEDULE it to start...I have it set to start 5 minutes before I leave for work every morning.

Ford freaking NAILED the F150, it is absolutely perfect IMO, so I have hope ;)

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All I can say is I never even thought about owning a new Ford in my 30+ years of driving, but my 2018 F150...where to begin? the styling, interior, lightweight aluminum body, performance - a V6 with twin turbos and nearly 400 HP :eek:

I even have an app that lets me not only remote start it from anywhere, but SCHEDULE it to start...I have it set to start 5 minutes before I leave for work every morning.

Ford freaking NAILED the F150, it is absolutely perfect IMO, so I have hope ;)

I agree 100%, The new F150 and Super Duty trucks are awesome, I LOVE mine.