• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Press Release for Shelby Bronco 732000

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Here's the details on what I have thrown some teasers out on some of the Bronco groups and forums over the last few weeks.

Seth texted me some photos and called me to consult with him as he was inspecting this in TX and trying to put a deal together. I've known this existed somewhere in TX for many years, but did not know exactly who owned it, or where it was.

It's certainly an interesting and historic Bronco that will fun to help him try to document and uncover the other stories it might have to tell!

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2016/11/22/first-ford-bronco-surfaces-after-sale.html

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
First Ford Bronco surfaces after sale

By Gary Gastelu ·Published November 22, 2016

If you build them, it will come.

Seth Burgett launched his company Gateway Bronco just this past summer off Route 66 in Hamel, Ill., and his phone has been ringing off the proverbial hook since.

The outfit specializes in preserving, restoring and updating original 1966-1977 Ford Broncos to a high standard, and its work has quickly gained traction among fans of the classic 4x4. But of all the Bronco shoppers and owners he has heard from so far, including a very famous rock star, one has stood out from the rest.

Vinnie Yakubanski was looking to sell his 1966 half-cab when he heard about Gateway Bronco from a FoxNews.com article and sent Burgett a text with a photo of the truck’s VIN plate and the message “First Bronco, are you interested?”

And it's even better than that.

Yakubanski was a partner at a Ford dealership in Alpine, Texas, in the 1970s that serviced the truck for the foreman at the nearby Christmas Mountain Land and Cattle Company, which was owned by a fella named Carroll. Carroll Shelby, that is. Yea, the Ford Mustang guy.

As the story goes, after building it on a prototype production line, Ford gave the then-red truck to Shelby in 1965. Or maybe he bought it. Even the automaker’s archivist doesn’t know for sure. But soon after, the interminable racer swapped out the three-speed Bronco’s straight-six engine for a Mustang’s Hi-Po 289 V8 and the custom plumbing and exhaust to go with it. In what became a common Bronco modification, he also cut the rear fenders to fit oversize tires.

It also features what appear to be elements from a Sport trim package that, like the V8, wouldn’t be available until later in the Bronco’s production run. They’re not exactly the same as the factory trim pieces, however, suggesting that they might be prototypes, or just custom parts.

Shelby initially kept the truck near his racing operation in California, before shipping it to Texas to put it to work. It lived on the ranch until 1978, when the dealership convinced the foreman it was time to upgrade to a brand new full-size Bronco, and Yakubanski bought it for himself for $100 with just 1.9 miles on the odometer – because it had been disconnected, and still is.

Yakubanski says he didn’t even realize it was the first Bronco, or care much about its ownership history, he just thought it was a cool-looking truck. It wasn’t until a local mechanic (who also had his eye on it) pointed out that the VIN number ended with 000 that he’d realized how unique it was.

That didn’t stop Yakubanski from repainting it gray and blue like his 1979 F-150, or putting in a new interior to match, but he did leave the mechanicals largely as-is and drove it for the next quarter century. One time, he even used it to drive Shelby around in a parade, the previous owner opining that the gem was one truck that maybe he should’ve kept.

Well over a decade ago, Yakubanski started fixing up the old Bronco, but got tied up with business and parked it in a barn. It hasn’t been seen in public since. After entering what he describes as a “pleasant retirement” a couple of years ago, he figured the task was better suited to someone else and decided that Burgett was the right man for the job.

Vinnie Yakubanski and Seth Burgett (Gateway Bronco)

He wasn’t going to give the Bronco away, of course, and after a lengthy gentleman’s negotiation they settled on a price neither party will reveal. Burgett does say that $100 was probably the best investment Yakubanski ever made. (Considering its provenance, the valuation experts at Hagerty tell FoxNews.com that it’s a $100,000 truck, easy.)

It’s at Gateway Bronco now, where Burgett is in the process of bringing it back to the condition it was in when Shelby first sent it to Texas, right down to the red paint. Don’t expect to see it in the company’s inventory, though, he plans to do further research and work on a documentary and book about it with Yakubanski, then take it on the road to automotive events, simultaneously promoting his company while stewarding one of the most important pieces of the past that made it possible.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Here's the details on what I have thrown some teasers out on some of the Bronco groups and forums over the last few weeks.

Seth texted me some photos and called me to consult with him as he was inspecting this in TX and trying to put a deal together. I've known this existed somewhere in TX for many years, but did not know exactly who owned it, or where it was.

It's certainly an interesting and historic Bronco that will fun to help him try to document and uncover the other stories it might have to tell!

Nice story Drew thanks for sharing brother

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
I am a little confused. Gateway Bronco is saying Shelby added the 289, Fox News is saying Yakubanski made the mod. I hope this is clarified soon.

Edit: I read the article too fast, Shelby installed the engine. Sorry!

Last edited:

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
I'm excited............
Now that I read the story, the first Bronco WAS what i had in my mine for the first Bronco.
It also means that I have "basically" a twin to it with my Ragoon Red Half Cab, 65 build!!! That is so cool!!!!!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 73

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I am a little confused. Gateway Bronco is saying Shelby added the 289, Fox News is saying Yakubanski made the mod. I hope this is clarified soon.

??? I read it that Shelby did the HiPo 289.

What rock star? ;D

Okbroncoman

Sounds like Yakubanski was at the right place and right time to, pick that one up For $100.00!!!!!! Of course he was a partner in the dealership.

I think Foxs price estimate is kind of low!!!

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
I'm excited............
Now that I read the story, the first Bronco WAS what i had in my mine for the first Bronco.
It also means that I have "basically" a twin to it with my Ragoon Red Half Cab, 65 build!!! That is so cool!!!!!

not so fast .... 732000 was orig. a Turquoise 1/2 cab ... in late 60s it as fixed to a red full cab .... aso

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
I only see where it was being restored back to it's red paint.
Guess I missed something. Still cool tho!

"As the story goes, after building it on a prototype production line, Ford gave the then-red truck to Shelby in 1965."

"It’s at Gateway Bronco now, where Burgett is in the process of bringing it back to the condition it was in when Shelby first sent it to Texas, right down to the red paint."

Last edited:

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I just hope gateway doesn't toss a coyote in it and jack it up like they do with all there other broncos

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
not so fast .... 732000 was orig. a Turquoise 1/2 cab ... in late 60s it as fixed to a red full cab .... aso

Where does turquoise come in? The color code is J - Rangoon Red.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Where does turquoise come in? The color code is J - Rangoon Red.

Todd Z.
When we first talked on the phone as he was looking at it, he mentioned it has some spots showing Turquoise under some chipped/worn areas.

Still to be sorted out and will know for sure once it's sanded down and all layers on all panels are exposed.

95e69d6fa8b5a06e3c4812d5a2ac5090.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
When we first talked on the phone as he was looking at it, he mentioned it has some spots showing Turquoise under some chipped/worn areas.

Still to be sorted out and will know for sure once it's sanded down and all layers on all panels are exposed.

95e69d6fa8b5a06e3c4812d5a2ac5090.jpg

10-4. Thanks Drew.

Todd Z.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
so cool! Like a lost gem from a Indiana Jones movie!

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
so cool! Like a lost gem from a Indiana Jones movie!

yes it is ....but it would have bin so much easier to fig out and hear from C.S. him self few years ago why it is the way it shows today !

chasing down and talking to some of the few remaining living PP involved in its stay at the ranch is a pain yet very cool !

being told stories about it is one thing, getting documentation / pix in color of it is a totally dif. thing !

I am not disclosing any "stories" w.out evidence in hand ! ( Not making that mistake ! )

"As the story goes, after building it on a prototype production line, Ford gave the then-red truck to Shelby in 1965."

" Ford given is 1/2 story " ................ C.S. getting it and red in 65 ......... that's all a story !!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
As is often the case with old vehicles (especially with ones like Broncos which were never expected to be worth anything back in their time) they are often not well documented. This makes them hard to verify since many of their stories are word of mouth which often change over time or with memories that often fade or recall things differently. I'm only in my 40's and it's amazing when I hear friends occasionally tell some stories from just 20-30 years ago that I no longer remember at all!

Some legitimate questions have been raised as the story of this interesting find has come to light.

I have been texting the new owner back and forth for the last hour and here's a compilation of his replies which he's given me permission to share:

Seth:
Haven't fully digested the text but have just received confirmation on the shipping of this VIN to Shelby American directly from Ford. Shelby paid the driver directly. I haven't seen the check written to driver but I have seen the shipping document!

Also I have the registration from Hi Performance motors in California. It's 100% been in California and owned by Shelby. Both of his entities owned it and I have shipping papers showing it went from Dearborn to Shelby American in Los Angeles. VIN on papers.

Me:
Paperwork is good as it always trumps distant memories.

When Shelby sold his stake in the ranch did he sell it to Witt?

Seth:
Great question. Paperwork shows the ranch owned vehicle. Both title and check show Christmas Mtn Ranch. Prior to that Hi Performance motors owned it in California from the registration. Two of Shelby's entities owned the vehicle. Shipping information shows "prototype Bronco" with VIN to Shelby American in Los Angeles.

Not sure on how long it stayed in CA. The paperwork on shipping is not yet in my possession. I have only seen a picture of document which showed it was being picked up with a few Cobras and a 911-S all going to LA facility. The current person in possession of document told me they have fuel receipts for the trip and the drivers paycheck following the trip. Working on getting the full document. Much more being uncovered daily.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Lew Spencer drove for Shelby in 1963, then opened Hi-Performance Motors with Shelby, Al Dowd, Tom Reese, and Peyton Cramer. "It was called Carroll Shelby and Lew Spencer's Hi-Performance Motors. I don't remember the date when that started, but it closed in September 1965, most employees went to work at Shelby American. Hi-Performance Motors still existed after that but it was just shop maintenance. At Hi-Performance Motors, "we thought we could" sell some Cobras and GT350s. But Ford came along and said, `You can't sell GT350s; they can only be sold from an approved list of Ford dealers.' So, basically, that shot everything down."
...whats the shipping date for 732000 ?