• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake fluid PROOF coating for m/c, brake calipers...

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just for fun I coated a bolt with Cerecoat (typically used for firearms) and put it in a bottle of brake fluid, sat there for 3 months and not the first hint of being affected by the fluid. Haven't tried it on a MC yet.

How did you apply it?

Spray then bake?

Thanks

I'm really hoping that I don't need to unbolt my system, dissect my m/c and calipers, coat and rebuild it hoping the seals never got damaged and will seal.

I was wondering the same thing. Even checked-out their website.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
X2....

I was told to use Duraliner caliper paint by a Duraliner rep...then I called a distributor and he said no way, it won't hold up on an mc in my application.

I'm trying the 1/8 foam to put more pressure on the gasket, then bend the bail, then 2 REDNECK worm gear clamps...

Last edited:

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
First thing that came to mind was electroless nickel plating. Would require disassembly.

I've been using an epoxy paint from Brownell's on some projects that will probably stand up to brake fluid, but again baking required.

Anodize the aluminum parts.

Maybe? http://www.eastwood.com/ew-spray-gray-detail-paint-aerosol-12-oz.html They do mention using it on m/c's several times in the description.

Cerokote is intriguing, could do colors then!

nhopman

How did you apply it?

Spray then bake?

Thanks

I'm really hoping that I don't need to unbolt my system, dissect my m/c and calipers, coat and rebuild it hoping the seals never got damaged and will seal.
Yes, it was blasted, sprayed and baked, so you would have to remove and spray or do it before install. they do make the coating in an air dry formula, but not 100% sure you'd have the same result

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Cerakote rates their air cure just as high in chemical resistance as their oven cure, though not as high as their 'Elite' coating.

I think nvrstuk should go with this color: https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/C-163Q/lollypop-purple/
5852b9808363a0.34766130.jpg

It'll be the 90's all over again......
;D

Seriously though, I'm under the impression that this coating can be applied with an air brush?
https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/?tab=coatings&cat=CSERIES&color=cggray
BTW, MISF says you didn't prep the surface for POR-15 right if it came off. then again, he is called "MISF" for a reason.....

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
yeah, DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. Search that stuff before using it. Our Bronc-up came from the PO with that in the system. From the PNW where it is damp a lot of the time, at the least. It doesn't absorb condensation, which sounds like a good thing until you realize that water is heavier than it so we had seized brake calipers because it settled to the bottom of the system in pure form and rusted the bores in the calipers. It also left a 'bath-tub ring' of rust around the bottom of the reservoir in the iron m/c.

I'd only ever use it in a vehicle that was going to driven on and off the grass at the Monterey Historics and not much else. And not in anything English regardless of how I was going to use it.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Haha on that color TS!!!

Brings back memories of Kevlar lined potato guns, quads, glow sticks flying thru the air stuck in them thar potatoes :) and my OBA as the air supply for bombing quads at 2am at the beach.... lol

X2 on the lack of POR 15 prep. I've never had it fail when prepped properly...

Last edited:

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
We weren't bombing quads, they violated our spud cannon range. I mean really, if you saw glow sticks arcing thru the dark night sky would you venture out there where they were flying? I think it illustrates the IQ of the (hopefully) sub-average quad rider.....

On topic; I'm really liking the Cerakote idea. 50 Brazillion AR tacticool builders can't be too wrong. If it stands up to some of the nasty solvents used to clean powder & jacket fouling out of a gun it should stand up to brake cleaner. check out this page: https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resources/files/testing/ChemicalResist.pdf No brake fluid listed, but they do list brake cleaner. I found an eddress and sent them a note asking if they've ever tested against DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Let us know what they say!!

wsager

Wonder how much the 4oz tester of Cerakote C- Series Ceramic Coating would cover at the recommended 1mil thickness? I'm really interested in this too.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I might give this a shot after i hear back from TS...

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
At least for the master cylinder, you could go with aluminum instead of steel so that it won't rust.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Not available in that bore size...

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
What's the bore size?

BTW - have you considered zinc or aluminized plating?

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just ordered Duracoat from Midway. I'll see how it works.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
FWIW, the Cardone 'Ultra Premium' reman Calipers come powder coated. They seem to hold up fairly well to brake fluid as my banjo bolt was leaking for a little bit without affecting the powder coat. They're only ~$30, so you end up balancing time over purchasing.

Of course if you don't have stock calipers, this may be moot.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
M/C is '85 Chev 1 ton hydroboost, 1.338 ID bore.

In my build thread it details issues with changing over from the Astrovan steptype mc... etc

I'd go back to a plastic bodied mc in a heartbeat if I could find one that fit...physically, bore, etc...

nhopman

Wonder how much the 4oz tester of Cerakote C- Series Ceramic Coating would cover at the recommended 1mil thickness? I'm really interested in this too.

guessing you could do at least 7-8 with a 4oz bottle