• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

yearly property taxes on Broncos?

lsukevinc

Loc.
Holly Springs
I have a question for those of you who have broncos or any classic that lives in state that charges for a yearly license or vehicle property tax. How much are you paying per year or is a classic exempt? I just moved to north carolina and i have to pay yearly for my everyday driver F-150. I unfortunately had to sell my bronco but plan to get another one or a f-100 soon.

thanks for your responses

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Historic "personalized" plates usually run a Fee, but always pay property tax in MO for vehicles, trailers....

Don't recall what it runs, but it's not a whole lot for an older rig

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I'm in VA and have mine registered as antique. I think it runs me about $20 annually. I have to pay PP on my other vehicles and had to pay PP on the Bronco when I was running regular plates. Registering as an antique does limit your driveability some over regular plates but here it also exempts you from having to have yearly safety inspections which is a big plus when faced with working with most of the shops we have around here.

When I was running regular plates on it I think it ran me an additional $40-50/year in PP. The book value that DMV used is pretty low.

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
Connecticut if you register it as classic American/antique then the book value is capped at $500. Each town sets a mill rate here so what you pay depends on where you live but all towns base that off of a $500 value. Where I live has one of the top 5 highest mill rates (45.75 now!!) and I still only pay like $30/year. With the antique plates there are not too many restrictions. The only one I really know of is if you have a pick up registered as antique you're not really supposed to use it as a pick up. The occasional grocery trip is OK but every day use is frowned upon if you get a state cop in a bad mood. With cars or SUVs like our Bronco's I don't think there's really a restriction.

Last edited:

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
In Michigan I registered a period correct plate (1974) and it cost me a one time fee of 30 or 35 dollars. So that's all I've paid for it since 2005. My daily driver truck on the other hand is 180.00 a year.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Here in AR, I have mine registered as antique. One time fee (it was 20 yeas ago so don't recall how much it was) for the lifetime of ownership. Never have to renew it non transferable.

As for personal property tax, the state has some crazy formula that equals a value of $60 which you then pay a percentage of. WAY over complicated

Bottom line, not much......

Tim

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In Arizona if you have classic car insurance, you can register it as a Historic vehicle. $25 first year, $10 every year after. And you get a cool copper colored plate. Mine is somewhat amusing. It's PXL-1. Since Paxil is a drug for obsessive/compulsive disorder, it fits nicely with my Bronco obsession.

Golfball

In Alabama, I have my 66 F100 registered with YOM plates and its a one time fee of $10. No annual renewal necessary, supposedly there are restrictions on driving (can't be a daily) but haven't had any issues driving it now and then. Its down for a head rebuild now though.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’s very minimal in NC. Think they place the value around $800 (wish they could be had for that) and it’s under $10 a year. Years ago there were antique plates available, but not any more.

Pops68

Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Ohio has no tax at all on vehicles - once you own them and pay the sales tax on your purchase price. Sales tax applies to used car sales also.

Annual registration for cars/suvs is $35 +/- and trucks is $50 +/-. Some areas have voted in additional licence plate fees of $5 (I think the maximum is 3 times that amount).

Bronco = $35
Daughter's Jeep = $35
Son's Ranger PU = $50
Tacoma = $50
Wife's Malibu = $35

Just over $200/year

Broncomt

In Montana after vehicle is 11 years old, all you do is pay the equivilent of 2 years taxes and they give you a permanent plate. RV's, motorcycles, atv's, all trailers get permanent plates to start.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
NC Resident here.

Property taxes depends on county and/or city rates.

For me, it's about 15 dollars plus a buck or two for 911 surcharge and whatever the tag costs-- 20 dollars? This is all paid at DMV.

The First time you title something in NC you'll get the title fee, HUT tax and notary fee.

Last time I did the nc title process on a bronco it was around 75 dollars for everything.

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
It’s very minimal in NC. Think they place the value around $800 (wish they could be had for that) and it’s under $10 a year. Years ago there were antique plates available, but not any more.

I have NC Antique tags for my 76. taxes are $16 per year. Tags were a bit pricey initially. Don't remember how much exactly...

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have NC Antique tags for my 76. taxes are $16 per year. Tags were a bit pricey initially. Don't remember how much exactly...

How long ago did you get the antique tag? Looked into it 3 years ago and was told no, regular tags only.

BLAZEOFGLORY

Vech. Tax and plates

I live in NC my tag reg. runs $68.00 its personalized yearly and my property tax is $9.00 yearly

Dfroman

I was told that N.C. did not have antique tags also (about 3 years ago)
But looking at the bmv website it shows any vehicle 1981 and older are eligible (with proper inspection)
My normal registion is around $65.00

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Here in Orlando there are no emission checks and I only pay $26.00 a year for a little sticker (and registration) I put on my license plate.

Never heard of y'all property tax on a vehicle, unless that's what my registration equates too a "property tax".
I always thought that yearly fee was to help pay for roads since the fee seems to be based on the weight and age of your vehicle. Heavier vehicles do more wearing/damage to the road and newer cars are driven more and older cars have theoretically already paid their fare share through the years.

6 of one,... half a dozen of the other, lol....A fee is a few...or a tax...