• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vehicle Property Taxes

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. I know each state is different on vehicle registration requirements and vehicle property taxes. I just received my notice the other day that the property taxes are due on my EB. While I've been working on it I haven't been driving it ( it's still in a million pieces ). So the last couple of years I've just paid the taxes on it which amounted to about four or five dollars, and have not paid to put tags on it.When I first got it I put tags on it for that year and the taxes and tags were less than $30.00. So this year when I get my tax and registration notice the state of Kentucky says the taxes on the vehicle for the year are $87.00. I guess I'm in for a fight when I go up to the county clerks office to take care of this. They did me like this a few years ago on my wife's 2007 Ford Edge.After we'd had it a couple of years the taxes went up about $40.00. Their explanation for that was that it is a high demand vehicle and that make the value of the vehicle appreciate in value.Anyone else ever experience this on any of your own vehicles ?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As you stated, every state is different.

Here is AZ you can decommission a vehicle and let the tags expire. Once you are ready to drive it you just pay the current registration to bring it back to legal status.

California gets a bit more ugly. You need it officially decommissioned. If it isn't done correctly you are still on the hook for the back registration and fines. Takes 10 years of no one ever running any numbers through the DMV for it to fall out of the system. This can be an issue with a car that was "just parked" and sat for 6 or 7 years. The back fees and fines can add up to more then the project is worth.

These are the two states (neither of which is yours) that I know anything about taking a vehicle off the roads. But gives some idea of what you may experience. I would just contact your local DMV and ask about what it takes to not register the vehicle for a couple of years then bring it back.

I know of one more oddity, but it is trailers. Kansas wants there taxes if a trailer is in the state for more then 6 months. Doesn't matter where you are from. Missouri doesn't care unless you live there. My parents live in Kansas and store a boat in Missouri. Kansas doesn't want to tag it since it is stored in Missouri. Missouri doesn't want to tag it since they live out of state. But the other way around (live in Missouri and store in Kansas) both want to collect money from you. Every state is different.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Some states if you do not register it for several years will only go back several years and charge you property taxes for those years. Like said check your DMV and see what they tell you. If you don't like what they tell you, Montana and other states have a permanent registration on older vehicles and trailers. If you have a friend in one register there until done then transfer back to your state.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
You actually have to pay PROPERTY TAXES on a vehicle?????? Never heard of that. In Ohio a vehicle is not taxed, except for when you buy it (even if it is a used vehicle and SALES tax has been paid on it several times over - each sale generates a sales tax based on value). Once you own it, there is NEVER any more taxes paid on it unless you sell it and the new owner then pays the sales tax.

I just paid licence and registration on 4 vehicles last week: '07 Tundra, '04 Ranger (my son's), '00 Wrangler (my daughter's), and my '68 Bronco - totaled just under $200 total for 1 year. Trucks were around $65 each and the SUV's are about $35.

AND, I thought Ohio was bad with taxes.....I guess we aren't so bad afterall.

Pops

OP
OP
B

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes,Pops68, here in KY we have to pay a property tax on every vehicle owned when the license is renewed every year. And what's bad , when the taxes and license are due, if you don't renew all that are due at that particular time, they won't renew any of them ,or so I've been told. But what is getting my goat is that the taxes on my '76 Bronco have gone up from around four or five bucks last year,this year they want $87.00.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Wow, you guys are scaring me, currently not only do I not have to pay the $5.00 tax because the local tax collector won't collect small amounts like that, but I don't have to have my truck inspected.

Hope that doesn't change, it is a real nice feature... both.

zonian

Loc.
St. Augustine
In virginia I used to pay personal property tax on my cars, every year. The newer the vehicle, the higher the tax. One of the reasons I don't live up north anymore.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
I worked with a guy who used to live in NJ, they pay some sort of property tax on everything. Said he bought two bicycles for his kids after moving there and got a delinquent tax notice, very nasty, saying that he owed tax on the bikes. Yikes.

Yea Pops, when you compare it to some other states we don't have it too bad. In fact last year I got to looking at my renewal and for $8 I could get new plates so I did, then they changed the background so for $8 I'm going to get another set. Cheap garage swag when you have custom plates!

Mikey

Bronco Guru
In Kommiefornia, I rolled the Bronco and it sat 5 years while I repaired it. At DMV, I turned in my plates and got basically a junked vehicle title. Five years later, to revive it, I had to get a VIN inspection followed by a brake and light inspection. With those documents in hand, a trip to DMV yielded the fact that I did not put an In Op on it when I got my junk title. I looked at the lady and told her that to obtain the junk title, I had to turn in my plates so by definition it was In Op. Keep in mind In Op is something like $20. No one in DMV said it needed an In Op. So she said all she could do is remove the $500 penalty and charge me for 3 years of registration fees on top of the re-upping the title fees. For her to do this, I had to state in writing that I did not operate it on the highway those 5 years. I added some words that DMV failed to notify me of the In Op requirement. When she read that she muttered "HMPF!!" and approved it. So I had to be "happy" to no longer get screwed from over $800 and just get screwed for over $300 (not including the inspection fees). I hate this state and am trying to get to Virginia.

zonian

Loc.
St. Augustine
It's the north to me!!! No disrespect..Virginia is a beautiful state, just a bit to populated, cold, and taxed for me....

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Here in Florida you just pay for a tag every year. No inspections, no ?¿Personal tax bs?¿

In fact the tag costs went up by 40% a few years ago. My eb tag is still only about $40 bucks.

Love Florida. You will too. Come on down Yankees.

turbotim2

There is no personal property tax here in Maine either, is that just on cars or do you pay that on boats and campers?

nlped

Well, maybe something about Alabama is better than most... My Vintage tag for my '68 GMC SWB 2wd p/u was $25 two years ago & as long as I don't put over 5000 miles a year on it, I don't have to pay squat...ever!!! I will also have 1 of these on the Bronco. Anything prior to 1978 qualifies for the Vintage tag. 1 point for Alabama :D