• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Utah off highway vehicle education

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’m going to get on a soap box for a moment. Utah has implemented a requirement for off highway use vehicle operators to have an education course. I’m not going to get into the one and outs of it, whether our not it applies to our vehicles, but if your planning on visiting Utah and enjoying some trails, take the education course. It is free and does target some specific issues and complaints targeted at UTV’s specifically but over all is just a good reminder that we are all stewards of public lands, respect them or loose the right to use them.

Education course

Taking the course, In my opinion, helps to make our voices heard. We are in a constant fight to keep trails open and motorized access to public lands open and we loose more every year. If your not going to Utah, do something local to make your voice heard, we are loosing this fight, it is OUR LAND and we are being stripped of our right to use it.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
There's no doubt that some 4x4 and UTV enthusiasts are not good. Stewards of the land. But in Utah of all places, to implement a new requirement seems incongruous.

I'm glad the training is free, as a frequent visitor of Utah and lover of canyon country and mountains as well, I will register and take it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They have had something similar for many years. To legally access BLM land you needed to stop by one of the park offices or visitor centers and sit through a 10, or 15 minute video basically telling you how to stay on the two tracks and other obvious trails and not mess up the specific soil in the area that has that thin crusty layer on top that protects everything underneath.

This might be a particularly specific area that that UTV owners are being asked to observe.
Getting over enthusiastic while out in the boonies in your hopped up UTe might be hard to avoid.
Hence the new ruling perhaps?

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm all for offroad education. Unfortunately, what we are seeing is a trend of people who's only connection to the outdoors is for recreation in a SXS or Vehicle and don't really appreciate it. They view it as their playground to do whatever and whenever they want, instead of respecting the environment and taking steps to ensure others can enjoy it in the future.
Honestly I think it's a consequence of modern technology and the on demand society that keeps most people indoors and on electronics instead of being outside experiencing nature. I have no idea how to correct it without a total failure of our internet and cell service for an extended period of time, kind of a reset so to speak.

OP
OP
Yeller

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
It’s also a failure in marketing. None of the manufacturers put any emphasis on programs that are already in place. They just show images of ripping around willynilly. There are places for that, it just not everywhere. The other issue is the on road part. If you’ve ever been to a place like Moab the shear volume of SxS’s and other 4x4’s can be obnoxious treating town, and trails, like their hanging out at a concert of music, and loud pipes ripping around like they’re at the dunes. There’s a place for that, the camp ground, city neighborhoods and grocery store parking lot are not it. It’s not the majority, but like everything else the majority pays the price for the minority.

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
You guys are all over this. I have my Utah certificate. I don't like taking it but something has got to help with the destruction going on. I hope EVERY person renting a SXS or Heep has to take one too.

SxS guys here emulate what they see in advertising. Just like many 1st time 4x4 buyers.

Tired of getting the short end of the stick by those that think it's their "right" to do whatever they want, whenever they want to whomever they want at any cost to the trails, neighborhoods, etc.

I spent at least 26 documented hours talking, discussing and reviewing our Wa State DNR revised land proposals 1 1/2 yrs ago. I spoke with 3 of the Rocky Mtn Elk foundation regional directers, several 4x4 clubs, local Field & Stream, etc.

DNR has 43,000 acres they are wanting to regulate much, much tighter than they have in the past. Said it was due to misuse and extreme % increase due to covid. Banned camping of any type unless in a designated campground. In our County where 30,,000 of these acres are there isn't a SINGLE designated campground. This area is used extensively by hunters. Where are they going to be allowed to setup camp w/o a designated campground? Just ONE of many examples of blanket policy written up by one guy who is totally disconnected. I spend 3 hours on the phone with over 2 phone calls) who is CLUELESS but sets policy.

Other major issue to get me back on track was roads. He said there is a lot of cross country traffic. I asked (already knowing the answer) how they intend to inform people of proper use? Signs? He said yes. I said how do you get people to read signs if they don't want to? He didn't have an answer.
I asked about enforcement. Same # of enforcement officers since 1977. 250% higher use but same 20 officers... I said if you want laws to be followed you need to enforce them and he said they didn't want to give the "wrong message" to the public....

Good luck everyone... if there's no punishment for illegal behavior then what's the point in having laws or thinking people will follow them?

They have 20 million to spend and they want more people to visit. Concerns that over 93% of the visitors are white and 70% were over 40 yrs old. They want more minorities to use the area and want to give walking tours.

I haven't exaggerated or made anything up. I could give you pages of notes but OMG, this is what we are up against. I just want my grandkids to actually be able to visit a quarter of the places I've seen... heck, I'd be happy if they could visit 10%. My parents fished everywhere. :)

I'll quit ramblin"

Have a good week all.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I’m going to get on a soap box for a moment. Utah has implemented a requirement for off highway use vehicle operators to have an education course. I’m not going to get into the one and outs of it, whether our not it applies to our vehicles, but if your planning on visiting Utah and enjoying some trails, take the education course. It is free and does target some specific issues and complaints targeted at UTV’s specifically but over all is just a good reminder that we are all stewards of public lands, respect them or loose the right to use them.

Education course

Taking the course, In my opinion, helps to make our voices heard. We are in a constant fight to keep trails open and motorized access to public lands open and we loose more every year. If your not going to Utah, do something local to make your voice heard, we are loosing this fight, it is OUR LAND and we are being stripped of our right to use it.

thanks for sharing bubba..

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
You guys are all over this. I have my Utah certificate. I don't like taking it but something has got to help with the destruction going on. I hope EVERY person renting a SXS or Heep has to take one too.

SxS guys here emulate what they see in advertising. Just like many 1st time 4x4 buyers.

Tired of getting the short end of the stick by those that think it's their "right" to do whatever they want, whenever they want to whomever they want at any cost to the trails, neighborhoods, etc.

Have a good week all.

Amen man.. Preach preach.. we shouldn't have to suffer for other people's stupidity.. You have a great week as well sir

Major Tom

Contributor
besides my Bronco I also own a Hummer h3 and made several trips to Moab for organized Hummer club trips I have no problem taking a coarse , I have seen some crazy people out there