• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Would it be a crime to

Kurt

Loc.
Badger State
I think Wade is just trying to stir up the masses.

Kinda like trying to sell pieces off a celebrity's rig......;D:-X;D

OP
OP
ghost66

ghost66

Bronco Guru
I'm not trying to stir up the masses just see where the opinions lie. I knew I would get a slew of opinions, I just want people to express their thoughts about the subject. I saw one recently where the exterior was painted over and wondered myself why this was done. But then I thought it looked pretty good one color.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
At the end of the day it's your bronco do what you like. I personally love the stroppe paint scheme. I wouldn't have one any other color.

Kurt

Loc.
Badger State
I seem to becoming a more of a purist. I wouldn't modify a Stroppe, except for a few mechanical upgrades such as a modern suspension. Likewise, I wouldn't modify a factory roadster. And I most likely couldn't cut a really nice stock EB.

KuttySark

Loc.
Southern California
As a guy who owns a Stroppe that was painted yellow at some point on a previous owner's watch, I say go for it. It's yours, do what you want with it. Personally I like knowing that one day I can spend a fortune restoring it back to show room condition. Gives me something to aspire to.

OP
OP
ghost66

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Bad Wade, bad bad Wade.

I did like the stroppe-a-like buggy Dale built though, that thing was sweet. Would be cool to do a modern Stroppe with some updated colors and mods, nothing crazy but a definitely something Bill would put his stamp on.

I never saw the Stroppe-a-like buggy, got pics?
That's what I think. I don't see Stroppes really selling for any more cash than a decent resto. Not really sure where the value is of the Stroppe. Yes only a few were made but their not commanding $50,000 or more even the restored one a Russo a few years ago didn't pull in collector money. Yes, they are cool because of their history and limited availability but not Shelby cool. I personally don't like the color scheme. I'm not saying I'm going to do this, just wondering where peoples heads are about the uniqueness of the Stroppe and whether it is really worth more restored original or done tatsefully in a different color scheme or solid paint. I mean it's still a Stroppe just not a funky color block scheme isn't it?

DevilDog

Loc.
Virginia
Buy a Stroppe, do a frame off and not paint it back to the original colors?

I could be wrong, but isn't it possible to repaint a vehicle? If someone wants to take it back to the original colors, they could. From what I have read, Stroppe is about performance not colors.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I never saw the Stroppe-a-like buggy, got pics?
That's what I think. I don't see Stroppes really selling for any more cash than a decent resto. Not really sure where the value is of the Stroppe. Yes only a few were made but their not commanding $50,000 or more even the restored one a Russo a few years ago didn't pull in collector money. Yes, they are cool because of their history and limited availability but not Shelby cool. I personally don't like the color scheme. I'm not saying I'm going to do this, just wondering where peoples heads are about the uniqueness of the Stroppe and whether it is really worth more restored original or done tatsefully in a different color scheme or solid paint. I mean it's still a Stroppe just not a funky color block scheme isn't it?

He has a build thread too but here was the for sale ad...

OP
OP
ghost66

ghost66

Bronco Guru
AH, had you said quarter horse I would've known the thread

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes only a few were made but their not commanding $50,000 or more even the restored one a Russo a few years ago didn't pull in collector money. Yes, they are cool because of their history and limited availability but not Shelby cool.QUOTE]

One Baja that sold at Russo and Steele, or at least was offered, sold for 35k. Incidentally, the guy who now owns it, called me the other day and reported that the engine was from a van, the trans was wrong, and the steering box has a ton of play in it, in addition to other things they've fixed. Sounds like it was more "cleaned up" than restored. I wonder what Blue71's, Jack's or Jeff's Baja, or Carpenter's Baja would bring if sold? All depends on your definition of what "restored" is.

To answer your original question, I think it would be cool to do it any color you wanted, like some Baja owners did when they originally ordered them. Keep all but the paint original.

OP
OP
ghost66

ghost66

Bronco Guru
I suppose I assumed that the Russo Baja was original and it would be interesting to know what a complete to original resto would command.
I'm still not saying I'm going to do this but if I could find one at a decent price I probably would opt to restore a Baja and completely change the color. I would even like to find one of those that were originally painted a different color that would probably be more acceptable to the purists and I wouldn't have mixed thoughts since it never was a color block. At the moment I'm still looking. Primarily for a 77 uncut, secondarily for a Baja. I know BajaFresh 75 has one maybe he'll take my 66 as a partial trade.

nosaj2k

Loc.
Green River, WY
Personally, I would seriously consider selling the Stroppe for top dollar and buying a good solid non-Stroppe Bronco. Because I don't like the colors of these Broncos, I honestly would not have a problem painting it the color or colors of your choice. However, I would look at bang for your buck. I would rather have the extra $ to put toward a nice Bronco build that you can personalize to your liking than have a Stroppe that I felt obligated to keep original.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Whats a stroppe? who gives a $%^& paint it however you want stroppe dont have the title you do!

gator-n-buck

Loc.
Knoxville
Unless these guys are paying for the paint job..... Who cares what they think..... It's your ride and if you want to paint it pink..... Go for it...... Life to short to worry about what others think.... :)

OP
OP
ghost66

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Wow, I forgot all about this thread. Guess I should update it. Thread was really to see what people think and since March of 2011 I changed my name to Willis based on the voting.
Note: I still like the solid color Stroppe's better than the color block version

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I think you should open the poll back up....I missed it some how.