• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Would it be a crime to

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Buy a Stroppe, do a frame off and not paint it back to the original colors?

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
listen, the way I look at is this, we live in the US for the freedom and justice it provides unlike other countries. Yes, it has its negatives, but I woulnd't want to live anywhere else.

So, if you want to do a restoration like the one you mentioned, then go for it. At the end, it's your money. It's your ride. Do what makes you happy.

You are going to have alot of purist in here that would say otherwise! Who cares.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Let me ask this: Why not just buy an ordinary Bronco and do those things?

Makes no since to alter one that is uncommon when you can find an ordinary one, and possibly for a cheaper price. I would compare this to taking a Yenko Camaro and making it look like a base model.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Its yours to do what you want. If you ever want to sell it, I think it will hurt some potential buyers but as said its your ride do what you want. If you are having doubts yourself, I am sure you could find someone who would trade you (though I would expect to see you get something in better shape than your stroppe to offset the difference due to its rarity...)

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Is this a Balloon chaser, or an actually raced Baja? If not who gives to sh!ts! I say do what ever you want to it short of putting a GM engine it!;):cool:

gbkeith

Loc.
Lubbock, Texas
If it's your's then do what you want. If it was mine I'd try and sell it to somebody who wanted one though and paint a regular Bronco whatever color my heart was set on.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
After having CUT my uncut & built it into a nice capable resto-mod AND currently neck deep in a 68 stretch crawler build, I PERSONALLY would do a bone stock resto on it right down to the color codes and enjoy it as a cruizer. It'd be my 3rd EB though and I'd have 3 flavors to choose from. If it's you're one and only I say build it the way YOU want it! I know all to well about the saying "love the one your with" or "wheel what you brung"! Selling it and picking up a regular 'ole U-15 ain't a bad idea, as stated above, if you want something completely different though.

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
It may be more cost effective to sell it to somebody who would pay a premium for it and buy a regular bronco for your custom build. Just a thought.... In the end just do what you want.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I say paint it the color you wish its only paint which can be easily changed back not only that there are broncos that got the stroope treatment right down to the badging but are not the correct colors. really other than a DSO code paint is the only thing that sets it apart. but no matter what it would still be considered a stroope.
Now if you were tuning a stroope into a rock buggy that might be a crime.
Personally I'd probably paint it as it was orginally but then again I have 2 other broncos I can paint any color I wish.

dead road

Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I think you build something the way you want it. I do however think it hurts the value considerably. Yes you could paint it back stroppe colors to sell it. But these days paint is so expensive a quality job that a frame off resto warrants is half the value of the darn thing.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
What GRILLMASTER said, unless someone gave it to you. Otherwise you paid for a rare original Bronco and will be turning it into a custom. Better to start with a good basic Bronco and spending the money on the custom work. Selling a Stroppe would be a heck of a way to get the money to buy a really good starting Bronco. The only crime would be using your money on a Stroppe and turning it into a non-Stroppe.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Ghost, If its a true Stroppe which I'm sure it is, I'd definitely paint it back original Stroppe colors. If you go solid or another color...you will be getting the question all the time of "why didn't you paint it Stroppe colors", or "is it really a Stroppe" or I thought Stroppes were Red, White , and Blue? I'd go crazy if people were asking me that all the time. You have a rare Bronco and if you are going to the trouble of a frame-off resto on a Baja, I'd only want to paint it once so stick some Poppy Red, Wimbledon White, Astra Blue, Semi Gloss Black, and argent (grill) on that baby:)Good luck whatever you decide.

Andy
Blue71

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Do whatever you want with it its yours. Don't worry about the purists, heck if they don't like what you are doing then let them find you a replacement in the same condition and trade it to you.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I say, its yours, do what you want with it. If it was me, I would paint it correct. Not because I love the paint scheme but because I believe the value would be greater. If I had a classic Shelby to restore, I certainly would not restore it as a regular Mustang. I know its not the same thing but you get the analogy.

fetorino

Loc.
Orange, CA
Ditto

It may be more cost effective to sell it to somebody who would pay a premium for it and buy a regular bronco for your custom build. Just a thought.... In the end just do what you want.

Two Broncos same condition unmodified one a special addition the other a plane Jane. Are they worth the same? Hell no

Two Bronco restomods same condition one was a special addition the other started as a plane Jane. Are they worth the same? Yes but the glovebox door on one is worth more.

Kinda like Ted Nugent's wheels once you dismantle it it is no longer special.

Its yours do what makes you happy. Live for today tomorrow may never come.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Bad Wade, bad bad Wade.

I did like the stroppe-a-like buggy Dale built though, that thing was sweet. Would be cool to do a modern Stroppe with some updated colors and mods, nothing crazy but a definitely something Bill would put his stamp on.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ah just pull the stroope decal off and nobody will know the differance. So you'll get less whining. like I said before there are quite a few regular broncos that made it to stroopes shop and got all the same stuff with exception of DSO code and paint. Are they really any less a stroope?
Sure a correctly restored stroope would sell for more than a incorrect stroope but I didnt hear the OP say he was going to sell it. No matter what its going to be restored if only the paint is incorrect then really what does it matter. Its not a 100% orginal stroope in either case.