• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Worth keeping original engine?

joshua

Contributor
I believe I have the original engine block. No heads or intake carb ect. My bronco is a 1968 and block code is, C80E-6015A I took the heads of years ago and scrapped them. I didn’t think this was original engine because that’s what the seller thought.

Any way I pulled the drive train out this weekend and I want to scrap this engine but, I figured I should ask the internet if that’s wise being the date code seems to line up. Seller says it was a 302 but the air cleaner said 289 if that matters. I’m not trying to put it back stock. I’m just thinking of the next guy “hopefully 30 yrs from now” wanting to put it back stock possibly. Lmk if your opinions

Pics

Attachments

• 653C594D-BBC3-42BD-A4F6-41FE07DE9BD9.jpeg
    653C594D-BBC3-42BD-A4F6-41FE07DE9BD9.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 4A3F58E6-C082-4CD9-B73D-D003B8AB786F.jpeg
    4A3F58E6-C082-4CD9-B73D-D003B8AB786F.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 54
  • A2C84FA1-0A14-4F4C-A9ED-3987E117E033.jpeg
    A2C84FA1-0A14-4F4C-A9ED-3987E117E033.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 8917F22D-7F7D-43DF-8BC0-AD7994459F24.jpeg
    8917F22D-7F7D-43DF-8BC0-AD7994459F24.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 52

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I believe I have the original engine block. No heads or intake carb ect. My bronco is a 1968 and block code is, C80E-6015A I took the heads of years ago and scrapped them. I didn’t think this was original engine because that’s what the seller thought.

Any way I pulled the drive train out this weekend and I want to scrap this engine but, I figured I should ask the internet if that’s wise being the date code seems to line up. Seller says it was a 302 but the air cleaner said 289 if that matters. I’m not trying to put it back stock. I’m just thinking of the next guy “hopefully 30 yrs from now” wanting to put it back stock possibly. Lmk if your opinions

Pics
In the first picture, Directly above the C8OE, there are 4 characters. Does it say 8K22?

Torkman66

Contributor
The 302 was not available until the 1969 Bronco. Prior to that is was a 289. So if it is a 302, it is not the original engine for your Bronco. It could be a 289 block...hard to tell. The crank will have a 2M stamped on it if it is a 302 and the 289 has a 1M stamp. Besides that, the stock 302s put out less than 200hp if I remember right and that is not much power. I would go with a new 302. Check out the engines at Blueprint Engines. They make a Bronco engine as well as a new 302 (actually a newly forged block with a 4 bolt main.)

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
I have a new motor. Basically asking if I can scrap this or would be a sin if it’s original. Haha. And from what little info I gathered is that c = 60s and the 8 after represents the year. So 68 block. And that the 289 and 302 block castings were the same. And shared the same identifying numbers on the block. Just the crank and heads are different. Not one clue if any of that’s correct. Just read it in another forum

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Then it was never delivered in a 1968 Ford Bronco. That block was cast on October 22, 1968, for the 1969 model year.

So you don't have to worry about it anymore. Find someone with a 1969 Bronco with a 302 built in November of 1968, and they will be very happy.

C8OE just means that it was designed for implementation BEGINNING in the 1968 model year. It does not automatically change the next year. For example, the C7AW-E Ford 9 inch rear differential housing ran from 1967 all the way thru 1977 and even into the 80's.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Then it was never delivered in a 1968 Ford Bronco. That block was cast on October 22, 1968, for the 1969 model year.

So you don't have to worry about it anymore. Find someone with a 1969 Bronco with a 302 built in November of 1968, and they will be very happy.

C8OE just means that it was designed for implementation BEGINNING in the 1968 model year. It does not automatically change the next year. For example, the C7AW-E Ford 9 inch rear differential housing ran from 1967 all the way thru 1977 and even into the 80's.
Awesome!! Thanks!!

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
The 302 was not available until the 1969 Bronco. Prior to that is was a 289. So if it is a 302, it is not the original engine for your Bronco. It could be a 289 block...hard to tell. The crank will have a 2M stamped on it if it is a 302 and the 289 has a 1M stamp. Besides that, the stock 302s put out less than 200hp if I remember right and that is not much power. I would go with a new 302. Check out the engines at Blueprint Engines. They make a Bronco engine as well as a new 302 (actually a newly forged block with a 4 bolt main.)
There is no difference between a 289 block and a 302 block in 1968. The C8OE-6015-A block was used in both applications. So yes, you will find some 1M cranks in the 1968 C-code 289-2V Mustang. It's weird, because the block is cast with a "302" in the valve galley.

And yes...that engine is now being called a Windsor. Even though the block was cast in Cleveland.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The crank pulley is worth saving. 2-groove early bronco crank pulleys can be hard to find
Same for the Bronco pan.

The block itself may have date code value to some. Standard bore would be great, the bigger the bore the less the value.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
While you are saving parts, and before you throw anything away, as @Broncobowsher points out...there are some goodies that you might want to think about.

The oil pressure adapter extension is a $25 piece.
The timing cover is a $40 piece.
The timing cover POINTER used to be $20, but now there are reproduced, and about $10.
The oil Filter Adapter screwed into the block is worth $20.
The Oil Pan is worth a bunch, the oil pump pickup is worth a lot, and the stupid little stud bolt on the main cap is worth a fortune when you need one, and don't have one.
The camshaft retainer plate is worth $10. And the fuel pump eccentric is good for $25. But the stupid washer and extra long cam pin is cheap and hard to find.
The crank pulley is interesting. Because it isn't a Bronco Pulley. Based on the dipstick in the timing cover, I'm guessing it's a 69 passenger car piece. Probably a C9OE-6312-E piece, which has become stupid expensive. (like $100) so it's worth taking a look.
I would harvest that oil pressure sender too. Under all that goo is going to be a really nice sender.

So before you throw it all away, everything I described will fit into a small box. Keep it until AFTER your Bronco is built and running. You can thank me later. Or thank him, because he noticed first, and was willing to comment.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
That right there is a wealth of knowledge, love it!! Thanks!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
While you are saving parts, and before you throw anything away, as @Broncobowsher points out...there are some goodies that you might want to think about.

The timing cover POINTER used to be $20, but now there are reproduced, and about $10.
The Oil Pan is worth a bunch, the oil pump pickup is worth a lot, and the stupid little stud bolt on the main cap is worth a fortune when you need one, and don't have one.
The camshaft retainer plate is worth $10. And the fuel pump eccentric is good for $25. But the stupid washer and extra long cam pin is cheap and hard to find.
The crank pulley is interesting. Because it isn't a Bronco Pulley. Based on the dipstick in the timing cover, I'm guessing it's a 69 passenger car piece. Probably a C9OE-6312-E piece, which has become stupid expensive. (like $100) so it's worth taking a look.
I would harvest that oil pressure sender too. Under all that goo is going to be a really nice sender.

So before you throw it all away, everything I described will fit into a small box. Keep it until AFTER your Bronco is built and running. You can thank me later. Or thank him, because he noticed first, and was willing to comment.
C8AE-6059-A is the number on the timing cover

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
many of the heads i have seen in 68 and 69 have 289 on one side and 302 on the other side...

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX

Good info here ^^^