• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Equalok, junk or worth keeping?

apiper

I am tearing down my '69 9inch to do a re-gear. The question is do I keep the equalok or go another route? I am not a HUGE fan of a locker in the rear (a fair amount of street use and cruising).

The current one that's in there has only let me down once, (one rear tire 2ft in air), so I don't know that anything is particularly wrong with the clutches, I just thought, "while I am in there." JBG has a new clutch kit for the equalock.
Do I go that route, or an aftermarket LS unit?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

FYI, running 35's, with Locker up front.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Equa locs have a decent rep but with 35in tires there are better options namely full lockers. Most limited slips are just that limited big tires and lifting tires will net you little to no traction there are ways to drive limited slips to get decent action out of them but still they are limited. Clutch types do wear out. If you keep it replace the clutches. Of course its still iffy with 35in tires. plus you really should upgrade to 31 spline axles anyways.
I wouldnt say they are junk you might be able to sell it to someone restoring a older ford or to someone that wants a stock LS unit.