• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Was my 302 engine replaced at one time? Engine identification question.

Bustedbroc

Contributor
1974 EB, 302. Ran into an issue replacing my timing chain set. Replaced with a Melling 3358SA kit for a 74. Ran engine for 15-20 minutes then pulled pan to replace rear main seal which was leaking. (I had previously replaced but screwed it up). When I went to clean up pan to replace, I found fresh aluminum shavings in the pan. Well, unknown to me sometime mid 72 Ford went from a 1 piece fuel pump eccentric to a 2 piece and the cam timing sprocket changed with it. My engine had the original nylon toothed sprocket and a one piece eccentric. If you put that eccentri on a a 74 type cam sprocket, (which is what the year is of my truck and what I ordered), it sticks out too far and rubs on the inside of the timing cover carving it up in a circle. You can't hear it, and it did not affect its running except for putting aluminum into the engine. The only way I found it is because I screwed up putting in the rear seal the first time and had to take the pan off again.
I checked the code on the block, D2OE. 1972.
So, my question is, was the engine replaced at one time by a previous owner, or was this engine put in at the factory from stock the plant had?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
my original 73 302 casting number said 73 torino, so, yeah, broncos used a lot of engines.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
1974 EB, 302. Ran into an issue replacing my timing chain set. Replaced with a Melling 3358SA kit for a 74. Ran engine for 15-20 minutes then pulled pan to replace rear main seal which was leaking. (I had previously replaced but screwed it up). When I went to clean up pan to replace, I found fresh aluminum shavings in the pan. Well, unknown to me sometime mid 72 Ford went from a 1 piece fuel pump eccentric to a 2 piece and the cam timing sprocket changed with it. My engine had the original nylon toothed sprocket and a one piece eccentric. If you put that eccentri on a a 74 type cam sprocket, (which is what the year is of my truck and what I ordered), it sticks out too far and rubs on the inside of the timing cover carving it up in a circle. You can't hear it, and it did not affect its running except for putting aluminum into the engine. The only way I found it is because I screwed up putting in the rear seal the first time and had to take the pan off again.
I checked the code on the block, D2OE. 1972.
So, my question is, was the engine replaced at one time by a previous owner, or was this engine put in at the factory from stock the plant had?
You are misinterpreting the significance of the Ford Engineering number prefix. D2OE is not definitive without context. D2OE-6015-AB is the whole number. It signifies that the Part Number for the item was allocated from a PLM database and assigned to a drawing. The owner of the drawing would have put the number on the casting of the block for identification. When you decode it properly, it means that the part number was pulled with the intent to install the part into the 1972 year model Intermediate Car Engine group, with a root number of 6015, which is a block, in the first intended version, with one significant revision to the original drawing.

It is entirely possible for a part number to run for dozens of years without a significant revision, so the part number can be used for decades. Or, the part can be changed significantly in the next model year. Some parts can be functionally identical, but used concurrently. The C5AE-6015-E is a block for a 289 that was used at exactly the same time as the C6AE-6015-C they just came from different foundries. The B6AZ-11450-A starter relay ran from 1956 until well past the 1977 Bronco. At least 25 years. The C7AW-B rear axle housing is found in every 67-77 Bronco.

But if you have some context, you can divine some things about some parts. I happen to know that the D2OE-6015-AB was a fairly short-lived block part number. It was revised in 1974, and became the D4DE-6015-AA and D4DE-6015-BA. The D4DE block ran thru 1977. So the D2OE was only serviced in the 72 and 73 model year. But I only know it, because I study it...and I can certainly be wrong. I have a limited sample size, and I can only go by what I experience, and what I observe. And I've never heard of a D3xx small block ford. (not counting the 351W)

If your 74 Bronco has a D2OE block, then someone changed the engine.
The D2OE was not installed at the factory from "stock the plant had." The random use of old parts is a mythical tale that has been perpetuated by people with an incentive to lie. It's nonsense.

Last edited:

House

Minutia Militia
Need to look for the casting date by the starter to help figure it out.
There is also an assembly date stamped into it on the driver side top
that should be relatively close to your build date…

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Will also put out that not all design changes coincide with model year changes. These are "running changes" where a revision is put into place mid life of the model year run. Early '73 automatic transmissions still had the T-shift transfer case while late got the J-shift. That still happens in late model stuff. The '97 Explorer V8 (brought this up because it is common swap in Broncos) had an early change in '97 from the GT40 heads to the GT40-P heads.

I remember seeing something about dating a particular car from if it had headrests or not. The regs stated that anything built after Jan 1 1969 (probably off on that) were required to have headrests. The factory didn't put them on until after the holiday closure. If the car was original, looking at the seat would tell if it was built before or after that cut off date.

And we are not even getting into the warranty replacment stuff. Some of that stuff can have special casting numbers that are not on production cars. Boss 302 had a special warranty block. AMC V8s had a special block that had super thick cylinder walls and the dealer would have the bores machined out to fit the displacment of the engine being warrantied. I know drag racers who search for these blocks as they have the beefiest cylinder walls.

Strange stuff does exist out there. When you think you know all of it, something else will pop up. Add in undocumented history from 50+ years ago. There can be a good handful of mysteries that can't be answered.

For the OP. You found the problem early. Good. You should know how to fix it as well. Different timing set or I would do a different eccentric.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Will also put out that not all design changes coincide with model year changes. These are "running changes" where a revision is put into place mid life of the model year run. Early '73 automatic transmissions still had the T-shift transfer case while late got the J-shift. That still happens in late model stuff. The '97 Explorer V8 (brought this up because it is common swap in Broncos) had an early change in '97 from the GT40 heads to the GT40-P heads.

I remember seeing something about dating a particular car from if it had headrests or not. The regs stated that anything built after Jan 1 1969 (probably off on that) were required to have headrests. The factory didn't put them on until after the holiday closure. If the car was original, looking at the seat would tell if it was built before or after that cut off date.

And we are not even getting into the warranty replacment stuff. Some of that stuff can have special casting numbers that are not on production cars. Boss 302 had a special warranty block. AMC V8s had a special block that had super thick cylinder walls and the dealer would have the bores machined out to fit the displacment of the engine being warrantied. I know drag racers who search for these blocks as they have the beefiest cylinder walls.

Strange stuff does exist out there. When you think you know all of it, something else will pop up. Add in undocumented history from 50+ years ago. There can be a good handful of mysteries that can't be answered.

For the OP. You found the problem early. Good. You should know how to fix it as well. Different timing set or I would do a different eccentric.
Yup. And the international stuff too...Like the D1ZM-6015-AA 302 Mexico Block. But in every case, the part number is created at the Design state, long before part activation.

"Handful of mysteries that can't be answered?" I'm intrigued. Would love to hear them.

Quick & Dirty

The casting date should be near the engineering number. Number, letter, number for year, month and day. Months letters skip I to not confuse with 1.
New models hit the showrooms in September, so something cast in the summer months would probably be for the next model year.

For example, this 2J23 is 1972, September 23.
image-jpg.403226

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bustedbroc

Bustedbroc

Contributor
The casting date should be near the engineering number. Number, letter, number for year, month and day. Months letters skip I to not confuse with 1.
New models hit the showrooms in September, so something cast in the summer months would probably be for the next model year.

For example, this 2J23 is 1972, September 23.
image-jpg.403226

OP
OP
Bustedbroc

Bustedbroc

Contributor
Thanks to all. The block casting # is as jamesroney above stated, "D2OE-6015-AB". As Quick and Dirty refers to above, my casting date 3A20, so that would be January 20 1973 I assume. Is it possible it was installed in a vehicle that has a build date of 11/73 as my VIN shows? Possible I guess, but not likely. But now I am really confused because it is my understanding that the one piece eccentric and associated cam sprocket was phased out mid 72. So how did this engine get it? Leftover parts? More Ford BS? Whatever the answers it really doesn't matter at this point. Just lucky I caught it. Interesting though.
FYI, It was a Melling timing set that I used as a replacement. USA made. I spoke with Melling tech regarding this issue and he was good enough to help me sort it out. He also went as far as offering and sending me a the correct replacement cam sprocket to go with the my piece eccentric, a new oil pump, and a new sump/screen assembly to help me out. Awesome!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
People have replaced the stock nylon timing set with stock nylon timing sets before. So it could have been changed and you think it was stock.

OP
OP
Bustedbroc

Bustedbroc

Contributor
People have replaced the stock nylon timing set with stock nylon timing sets before. So it could have been changed and you think it was stock.
That is true, but it should have had a 2 piece eccentric by 73 right?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Depends on what they put in. The mystery. So long as you get the right parts at this point that is all that really matters.