• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I am brand new here and came here hopefully for help. I have crate 351w with 4k miles on it and today I was told I need a engine rebuild,

OP
OP
SearRing

SearRing

Contributor
Jasper has a 3 year 100K warranty so not sure what there is to work out.......

Tim
I went with a high performance with a 1 year 10k. In hindsight should of gone with the standard but I wanted it to sound nasty when I started it .

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I will for sure I got frustrated and told the guy the put a new motor in it and I am selling it but he hasnt done it yet solely because hes been trying to work something out with jasper.
Hang in there and fight.

Took me 10 months but Ford Performance finally at least paid for new pistons in how they screwed me. All the details in my build thread.

OP
OP
SearRing

SearRing

Contributor
ill keep yall updated and ill check out your thread now nvrstuk

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just had my son use Jasper to put a 6 banger in a 2005 Ranger, its runs strong, took no special break in but is regularly on the highway.

Jasper was also phenomenal helping diagnose the tranny problem/no shift to 4th, no cost to me, fixed.

If it is a jasper engine, what does jasper say?

Stay dry!

OP
OP
SearRing

SearRing

Contributor
I just had my son use Jasper to put a 6 banger in a 2005 Ranger, its runs strong, took no special break in but is regularly on the highway.

Jasper was also phenomenal helping diagnose the tranny problem/no shift to 4th, no cost to me, fixed.

If it is a jasper engine, what does jasper say?

Stay dry!
to be honest with you I am not 100 percent sure. The mechanic that put the motor in has been in contact with them going back and forth but getting the motor right, or at least figuring out what went wrong. Im a little late to the game but im just recently learning to do some of the work on my cars my self without just paying people. I am 32 did my first oil change about a year ago

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm just worried your getting the run around. Should be easy for a mechanic to know within a few hours wat the issue is and the cause. My bet is a wiped cam shaft due to no breakin. jasper should have sent instructions on install and breakin process. Every engine builders do.

I'm not saying there aren't "duds" out there. I had issues with my 351w. It had a cracked head that magnafluxing didn't catch. Very frustrating but in the end my machine shop and I figured it our and they made it right.

Tim

OP
OP
SearRing

SearRing

Contributor
I'm just worried your getting the run around. Should be easy for a mechanic to know within a few hours wat the issue is and the cause. My bet is a wiped cam shaft due to no breakin. jasper should have sent instructions on install and breakin process. Every engine builders do.

I'm not saying there aren't "duds" out there. I had issues with my 351w. It had a cracked head that magnafluxing didn't catch. Very frustrating but in the end my machine shop and I figured it our and they made it righti have had 4
99.9 percent sure Im not getting the run around. The guy was easy to work last time and had zero problems until this moment and he seems extremely genuine and I asked around his area its about an hour away and every single person told me how he has been a stand up guy for 30 years over there and does stuff for the community. How will that help with getting it diagnosed I am not sure.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
99.9 percent sure Im not getting the run around. The guy was easy to work last time and had zero problems until this moment and he seems extremely genuine and I asked around his area its about an hour away and every single person told me how he has been a stand up guy for 30 years over there and does stuff for the community. How will that help with getting it diagnosed I am not sure.
Not saying the mechanic is not and has notbeen a standup guy for 30+ years, BUT has he kept up with changes in engine systems like EFI and such, but it could be something to consider.

Randy

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
to be honest with you I am not 100 percent sure. The mechanic that put the motor in has been in contact with them going back and forth but getting the motor right, or at least figuring out what went wrong. Im a little late to the game but im just recently learning to do some of the work on my cars my self without just paying people. I am 32 did my first oil change about a year ago
You need to call jasper yourself. Do you have warranty info? Even if not they can track down what you have and what the issue is.

Got to start some time, these old cars get really expensive unless you do basic maintenance. Youtube is your friend. I just recently used it to replace a glow plug in a 2006 duramax, fix a track that pop off a bobcat excavator ( i live in the woods and repair crew was two days away), figure out how to install flagstone walk.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For sure everything that was said above by the others.
You mentioned a phrase that is key here. And that is “break-in”
You might need to check with Jasper, or your mechanic does, to see if they run the engine for an initial camshaft break-in, or if they expect the owner/installer to do it.
Also, there’s a chance that it’s a roller cam and it does not need the usual extensive break in procedure.
But if it does, and all you’re doing is firing it up and driving it, that’s one thing that’s causing problems.

So first and foremost, find out if it’s a flat-tappet cam, or roller cam.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Finally got the video to play......WOW That appears to be some massive blow buy and she don't sound right at all.

Compression check would be my first test the borescope. Then she's coming apart for further inspection. I know it's a pain but that's the only way to know what failed. If memory serves me I pulled and disassembled my engine 3 times before the crack in the head showed it's self.....

Tim

OP
OP
SearRing

SearRing

Contributor
You need to call jasper yourself. Do you have warranty info? Even if not they can track down what you have and what the issue is.

Got to start some time, these old cars get really expensive unless you do basic maintenance. Youtube is your friend. I just recently used it to replace a glow plug in a 2006 duramax, fix a track that pop off a bobcat excavator ( i live in the woods and repair crew was two days away), figure out how to install flagstone walk.
I dont have it but I could get it. I Think I left it in the glove box.

OP
OP
SearRing

SearRing

Contributor
Finally got the video to play......WOW That appears to be some massive blow buy and she don't sound right at all.

Compression check would be my first test the borescope. Then she's coming apart for further inspection. I know it's a pain but that's the only way to know what failed. If memory serves me I pulled and disassembled my engine 3 times before the crack in the head showed it's self.....

Tim
ill pass the info on to them when I go by next week. at this point by the time I get the bronco back I wont be able to drive it because it will be cold outside and I dont own doors or a roof

OP
OP
SearRing

SearRing

Contributor
not sure if anyone will see this but after that shop leaving the car in the rain and shutting down im back...... took the motor apart and maybe they use the wrong ring on on the pistons and got it back running not smoke today but I have tiny tap coming from the motor now..... ill never be done...

Attachments

• tap .MOV
    7.8 MB

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, we’re all here probably. Thanks for the update. Sorry you had to go through so much crap to get it.
We’ll hope for the best as far as the tick goes, and hope it goes away.
I haven’t listened to it yet, but maybe it’s just the headers?

OP
OP
SearRing

SearRing

Contributor
Oh, we’re all here probably. Thanks for the update. Sorry you had to go through so much crap to get it.
We’ll hope for the best as far as the tick goes, and hope it goes away.
I haven’t listened to it yet, but maybe it’s just the headers?
I get it back this week I be able to take some new videos. I think im going to start a new build when its done sincxe I cant look at it anymore. If I do that it will need some chrome headers for looks

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I get it back this week I be able to take some new videos. I think im going to start a new build when its done sincxe I cant look at it anymore. If I do that it will need some chrome headers for looks
Tap sound could just be a loose rocker, could be a small exhaust leak on the header, or it could be a rocker tapping on the underside of the valve cover if there isn't enough clearance.

OP
OP
SearRing

SearRing

Contributor
it was a loose rocker, sorry been getting the bronco back in great shape redoing all the wiring, paint correction, rhino liner again but happy to have her back!