• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vintage Racing Bronco Rescue

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's a few more pics! IMG_1586.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 177452120_10226067321410132_7408289687263796372_n.jpg
    177452120_10226067321410132_7408289687263796372_n.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A couple more of Pony too

One thing you'll find confusing if you start looking at pics of Pony and Big Hoss during Mizel's ownership is that the '80ish Orange Bronco body swapped back and forth from one Bronco to the other...so sometimes Big Hoss wears the 80 body. Best always look at front suspension and whether there's a wing. Wing on Hoss, I beam front on pony. It would be easy to get them confused or think it was one Bronco with a removable wing if you didn't look at the other details. IMG_1565.jpg 463773scr_wm_2f680dd31e3a7e5.jpg

Last edited:

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OH WOW this is FREAKING AWESOME! Congrats to you & Todd on the score & can't wait to see what the future holds for all these trucks.

bbolander

Your story on them has a connection for me Andrew. From 1970-73 I worked in Tulsa for a fired heater company providing heaters for the oil refineries. John Zink Company was the major burner supplier for these fired heaters. John Zink Company had quite an unusual office back then and John Zink had a bit of an eccentric reputation. He had a large acreage near Tulsa and enjoyed moving dirt around for fun with his bull dozer!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Your story on them has a connection for me Andrew. From 1970-73 I worked in Tulsa for a fired heater company providing heaters for the oil refineries. John Zink Company was the major burner supplier for these fired heaters. John Zink Company had quite an unusual office back then and John Zink had a bit of an eccentric reputation. He had a large acreage near Tulsa and enjoyed moving dirt around for fun with his bull dozer!
That's a great story, Bruce! Thanks for sharing that.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a small world Bruce! Great story. It was fun being there and meeting them and seeing all the cars and motorcycles he was racing back in the day.

scoutingranch

I love this. Am I the only one here that was in Mexico to watch James Garner race (from the starting point)? That, was one of the thrills of my life. The others? Watching Jimmy get in fights at Pro-Am golf tournaments here in SoCal. He liked to fight and wasn't afraid to mix it up. Gawd...time goes by.

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I love this. Am I the only one here that was in Mexico to watch James Garner race (from the starting point)? That, was one of the thrills of my life. The others? Watching Jimmy get in fights at Pro-Am golf tournaments here in SoCal. He liked to fight and wasn't afraid to mix it up. Gawd...time goes by.
You were at the 68 1000? Thats cool! I wasn't born yet for a few 6 years or so.

scoutingranch

You were at the 68 1000? Thats cool! I wasn't born yet for a few 6 years or so.
If that was year Garner was there then yes. I couldn't remember. Grew up surfing San Diego. Bill, Ken and I would go down to Ensenada and surf that break until they ruined it with a jetty. Stay the night, wake up to watch the off load of racers and the drivers show up. I just wish I would have taken photos.
If memory serves, the race started either out of Tijuana or Ensenada. Damn old mind.

Last edited:

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
Oh my gosh. These were right under my nose!

Bronco enthusiast here in Tulsa, and we have been to Zink ranch over the past few yrs to race bikes (bicycles). Man, I wish those had been on display and I could have seen them.

[mention]okie4570 [/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh my gosh. These were right under my nose!

Bronco enthusiast here in Tulsa, and we have been to Zink ranch over the past few yrs to race bikes (bicycles). Man, I wish those had been on display and I could have seen them.

[mention]okie4570 [/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I know, i was expecting to be able to see them when I called. Oh well. In good hands now, and being fixed up. I've torn into Colt (Pickle Power, orange one) and am leaving Big Hoss to rest for a bit as it needs the most work. Have the intake off and all looks fresh in Pony, but fresh and then sat. So we will get it running better and see what we have once it's mobile.

I sent the Black and White Blazer down to Robby Gordon as his dad drove it after Parnelli did. So he grew up helping Dick Russell and Scoop Vessels and the rest of the gang at Vel's Parnelli Jones Race Shop work on the two Blazers. Enough Chevy talk....I'm starting to feel dizzy....

Attachments

• IMG_1825.jpg
    IMG_1825.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1822.jpg
    IMG_1822.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Had Big Hoss out for a wash Friday afternoon before closing shop. It's really a neat Bronco but likely needs the most engine and trans work to get it up and running. Has a 351w, Toploader 4speed with hydraulic clutch, and an F100 tcase. Front axle is a 9" center section with halfshafts connecting to Olds Toronado spindles and uprights via fab'd a-arms. Sure looks good washed up tho! Parnelli Jones started building this in his shop in '71 or earlier, as they were racing Big Oly. Always thinking ahead. The chromoly chassis and cage were done and Parnelli changed his mind and sold the project to Stroppe teammate Bill Rush, who was doing well in the Colt Stroppe Bronco. Bill and his ace mechanic and fabricator Dan Shield, and Parnellis former fabricator Smokey Alleman finished the Big Hoss Bronco by the 73 Baja 1000 where Rush/Shields drove it to victory. It's won two Baja 1000s and one Baja 500 as well as Parker 400 and some others! It's about as close to Big Oly as a Bronco has been - same fiberglass molds were used, and the chassis design very similar in the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_2052.jpg
    IMG_2052.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2053.jpg
    IMG_2053.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2055.jpg
    IMG_2055.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2056.jpg
    IMG_2056.jpg