• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Swapped Grant Steering Wheels, Lost Horn

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I just switched out my Grant steering wheel with a Grant Classic Wood and Adaptor 3285. Horn was working on the old one but now it's not.

The horn relay clicks when i hit the horn button but no horn sound. I feel like I followed the directions, however, i didn't disconnect the battery so I'm wondering if I shorted something out. Already switched the relay so i don't think that's the issue.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Test the horn directly. Since the relay is clicking its either a problem with the horn its self or the wiring in between the horn and the relay. at least that is my guess diagnosing over the interwebs

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I need to get a tester. Since it was working before, I'm assuming it's something with the installation / at the steering column.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
If the relay is clicking then the wheel is installed properly. Just because the horn quit working at the same time does not mean it was a result of your install. Many of us over the years have done a small instAll like that and had a problem arise that could be attributed to being caused by trhe work we did. But in the end it usually ends up being that it just happend at the same time and was a coincidence. Shoukd he able to track down the problem with a test light though. Good luck

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
If the relay is clicking then the wheel is installed properly. Just because the horn quit working at the same time does not mean it was a result of your install. Many of us over the years have done a small instAll like that and had a problem arise that could be attributed to being caused by trhe work we did. But in the end it usually ends up being that it just happend at the same time and was a coincidence. Shoukd he able to track down the problem with a test light though. Good luck

Good advice. Thank you.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Make sure you have clean connection on the horn mount the horn gets its ground there if your running a horn relay. The wiring tab on the horn is power in so all you have to do is connect a wire there and touch it to the battery positive and the horn should honk. Then if it doesnt you will need to find out why power is either not at the relay since there should be if your using the factory 3 prong relay and its clicking or the wiring from the relay to the horn.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I'm still screwing around with this issue. I was unable to get the horn to work connecting it directly to the +/- battery. Bought a horn from JBG, hooked it up directly to the battery and it still doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

wsager

I'm still screwing around with this issue. I was unable to get the horn to work connecting it directly to the +/- battery. Bought a horn from JBG, hooked it up directly to the battery and it still doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

Did you ground it well?