• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Height Leafs - No Trail - Best Ride/

ShoeSlinger

Looking for the best ride for a road only 72'. I have WH front springs and need to replace the leaf packs. Tom's has a great price on their 5-Pack leaf but wonder if a 10-Pack really helps for just road use.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I imagine most of the 5 leaf springs are from the same manufacturer. Mine came from cjponyparts and they are fairly stiff. It's not bone jarring, but definitely stiff. I have them paired with bilsteins 5k series shocks.

There's quite a price difference between the 9,10,11 leaf springs and the 5 leaf springs.

Someday I hope to ride in a bronco with those >5 leaf springs to see how it compares.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I helped put 10 0r 11 (can't remember which) leaf from wildhorses on KSM's and it rides phenomenal. I know it seams counter intuitive but they certainly do ride better.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wild Horses or James Duff if they make a stock height kit.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With the 5 and 6 leaf packs I only have experience with stock/original, or lifted/aftermarket versions. The stock ones are not known for their good ride, but the lifted ones were BRUTAL!
I'd have to imagine that the stock replacements are no worse off than the originals, and might even be a step better. No way to know until someone that has had both tries a set I guess!
Wish I had the time, 'cause I like comparo tests like that.

The different areas that create the better ride from more individual leaves are several.
The first is the most basic part of a leaf spring. The arch. In general terms, the more arch, the harsher the ride. So in a perfect world you'd want as flat a spring pack as you can get.
From that standpoint, the more leaves you use the flatter you can make the pack because at least some of the lift comes from the physical thickness of the whole pack. And if you notice, usually the last two or three leaves are very short, so they are really not making or breaking any substantial spring-rate changes.

Then there are other features, such as the teflon liners/pads between every major leaf, including at the center where all the leaves rest on each other and pivot during compression and extension. The factories did start using those later in the game, but not to the extent you find in the aftermarket. Even still, as far as I know.
And the fact that the spring alignment clamps are vertical plates with bolts, instead of bent-over clamps that can add to friction because they're literally clamping the leaves more tightly together helps as well.

Other stuff too, but those are at least some of the reasons that a large pack of modern leaves usually rides better on the street than you might remember your old military Jeep or Ford High-Boy F250 did! They had many leaves too, but lacked the other design characteristics that are used on Bronco springs.
And they probably used thicker leaves on the F250 as well!

The only thing we leave out that would also improve the ride would be to make the packs both longer and wider. You can carry more load with less rate on a longer and wider spring. But then you're getting into completely custom installs, not just a relative bolt-on.
Hence super long and much wider leaves on modern trucks than were ever found on our old utility vehicles.

So with all else being equal, a single, lone leaf spring should ride better than a multi-leaf spring pack would.
But all else is not equal in our world, so we get what we get.

Now, who's going to be the guinea pig for a set of 5-leaf springs? Would sure like to see if they've made any improvements over the last 40 years.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haha! Thanks!
Good thing being closer as well. The other thing about leaf springs is, they're heavy!
Adds to the shipping cost. But don't overlook a road trip sometime when you've got nothing better to do.

And speaking of which... April 6th is coming soon enough. See if you can squeak in a Saturday for the Bronco Roundup at our place in Lodi. Should be fun!
You can also get lots of first hand opinions/experiences from other users as well.

It's a thought anyway.
Usually a few coming up from south of you, but I don't know if they take I-5 all the way or cruise up 101 and can caravan in.

Paul