• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Stock height leafs or no? Need advice asap

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Heading to Tom's tomorrow to buy a CRAP TON of stuff!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

My bronco is stock height with a 2" BL. I'm getting new stock height coils. Should I replace the original stock height leaf springs as well? Someone said new ones would not be that different.

OR (answer the above question FIRST)
Should I nix the BL and go to a 2.5 SL? I like the room underneath the BL gives. And I'm not going to do ANY serious off-roading. So, thoughts?

661buster1963

The newer leaf springs have more (thinner) leafs in them. They tend to ride a little softer. If you run a top that adds weight, big back spare tire setup adds weight, jerry cans add weight. if a no on all those it may ride more comfortable with new stock height leaf springs. Talk to Jason at Toms Bronco, he always did right by me.

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
Should I replace the original stock height leaf springs as well?
How's your ride now? I assume your buying new coils because they're sagging? Are your leafs sagging?

If you NEED new ones being able to pick them up versus shipping is a big savings in itself. With that being said, all I see on Toms website for stock is 5 pack leafs which if your current leafs aren't sagging now I don't really see as an upgrade. Perhaps replacing bushings and a set of good shocks (Bilsteins) would probably be better if you don't have those.

Should I nix the BL and go to a 2.5 SL? I like the room underneath the BL gives. And I'm not going to do ANY serious off-roading. So, thoughts?

If you like the body lift keep it! If you're looking for a little more height WH has 1.5" variable coils. Maybe the 2.5" 9 Pack set from Toms would be perfect with WH coils. The rear may sit a little higher or like Buster said it all depends on the weight of your rig). Coils are cheaper to ship and you get the benefit of more leaves from Toms since you're going there. Plus, if you already have new shocks you can probably get away without buying new shocks especially since you plan to not do much off-roading. Steering geometry will most likely be fine as well. Stepping up to the 2.5" lift, you may have to address more things.

Just for comparison, in my Garage I have a 1" WH BL, 1.5" WH Coils, and WH 10 Pack Stock leafs which actually gave me a couple inch lift.